Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 10-25-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk
Default Forced Induction vs. N/A

With the increasingly stringent CAFE standards, I think we're going to see an increase in smaller, forced induction engines.

Personally I like FI motors because it's so much easier to make extra power. I know the N/A guys love the more linear power delivery and better cooling characteristics of N/A engines though.

I think for a street car I prefer the smaller FI engines. After driving my grandfather's 335i on the cruise I remembered why I love that car so much. Fantastic power everywhere, little to no lag, and it gets 28-30mph on the freeway. Pretty damn impressive if you ask me
Old 10-25-2010, 09:18 PM   #2

I think the smaller forced induction engines will only be around for a short time, because even those will eat too much fuel to meet the future standards. We have a lot of people in our federal government who wants to do away with private ownership of any cars.

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 Honda Accord EX
1973 Datsun 240Z

Old 10-25-2010, 09:26 PM   #3
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedhead View Post
I think the smaller forced induction engines will only be around for a short time, because even those will eat too much fuel to meet the future standards. We have a lot of people in our federal government who wants to do away with private ownership of any cars.

Bob
How so?
Old 10-25-2010, 10:01 PM   #4

EPA declaring CO2 a green house gas for one. Which will eventually create problems with most any internal combustion engine using hydrocarbons.
I recall reading transcripts and seeing videos of people on the far left who would rather see all of the non ruling class be using public transportation and the end of anything using hydrocarbons for fuel.
CAFE standards will continue to be raised, now 35mpg by 2020.

Bob

2003 Honda Accord EX
1973 Datsun 240Z

Old 10-25-2010, 10:03 PM   #5
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedhead View Post
EPA declaring CO2 a green house gas for one. Which will eventually create problems with most any internal combustion engine using hydrocarbons.
I recall reading transcripts and seeing videos of people on the far left who would rather see all of the non ruling class be using public transportation and the end of anything using hydrocarbons for fuel.
CAFE standards will continue to be raised, now 35mpg by 2020.

Bob
I don't think the end goal of CAFE is to get cars out of the hands of people though. I just think we'll see a shift to different kinds of cars. Probably a mix of electric, diesel, turbine, ICE, and hybrids.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:13 PM   #6
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
I don't think the end goal of CAFE is to get cars out of the hands of people though. I just think we'll see a shift to different kinds of cars. Probably a mix of electric, diesel, turbine, ICE, and hybrids.
Damnit Sean, why did you have to say something almost sensible.

Smaller FI engines are the fairly obvious interim. If we cracked petroleum like the Europeans, small turbo diesels would be obvious. Ethanol production is a total government boondoggle, so E85 will probably be around for a while longer. While it's economically dumb, the fuel has a number of advantages for FI. Longer term will be a mix of pure electrics and things like natural gas turbine powered hybrids. The longest term will be pure electrics without any onboard fuel or batteries. Yes, you heard me. There will be wireless power transmission via coupled oscilating magnetic fields. You'll just get a bill for actual energy consumption pulled straight off the grid to power production at the motors. No pesky middle man inefficiencies.

Bob,
Those people exist. I know. Trust me I know. But if they ever gain and use political power to that extent of collectivization that'll be the day for a new Declaration of Independence and a healthy dose of GFY.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-25-2010, 11:30 PM   #7
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Damnit Sean, why did you have to say something almost sensible.

Smaller FI engines are the fairly obvious interim. If we cracked petroleum like the Europeans, small turbo diesels would be obvious. Ethanol production is a total government boondoggle, so E85 will probably be around for a while longer. While it's economically dumb, the fuel has a number of advantages for FI. Longer term will be a mix of pure electrics and things like natural gas turbine powered hybrids. The longest term will be pure electrics without any onboard fuel or batteries. Yes, you heard me. There will be wireless power transmission via coupled oscilating magnetic fields. You'll just get a bill for actual energy consumption pulled straight off the grid to power production at the motors. No pesky middle man inefficiencies.

Bob,
Those people exist. I know. Trust me I know. But if they ever gain and use political power to that extent of collectivization that'll be the day for a new Declaration of Independence and a healthy dose of GFY.
Insert 2nd/10th amendment rights here
Old 10-25-2010, 11:54 PM   #8

I still believe the goal is to put us who the ruling class deems unworthy into public transportation. CAFE is just one step in incrementalism tactic that is used by those who want to rule over us and truly believe that they know what is best for us.

Bob

2003 Honda Accord EX
1973 Datsun 240Z

Old 10-26-2010, 12:03 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Forced induction is better for everything except HG reliability. Linear power curve my ass.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:05 AM   #10
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
. . . Linear power curve my ass.
Looks pretty linear.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)