Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 11-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
pain's fun, hit me again

Default Online Administration of Justice and/or criminal Justice Certificates

Is there somewhere I can take an online certificate program in one of these fields that doesn't require re-neutering to pay?

I contacted a few places and its anywhere from 10-25k to take classes. I'm looking for something that will familiarize myself with law enforcement procedures without going through all the other bullshit, math, language etc.

The placement exams you take for each department test you on that stuff and I usually place very high in the testing. So I want something that will give me an additional leg up over my lifelong martial arts and nearly 8 years of Defense Tactics instruction. (which apparently to some is a weakness) Without doing all the other stuff.

Most CC's offer the certificate classes but none in a weekend, nightime or online schedule.

I'm tired of being a caveman and grease monkey for funding, obviously I can't just stop working on stuff because i'm addicted. But I don't have to do it for income anymore.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stopping the world!
Old 11-25-2012, 02:27 AM   #2
I, Vettezuki

I'm a little surprised no CCs offer nighttime courses in this field. You might want to explore this a little closer. Also, most CCs run T-Th or M-W-F, with offerings in the evening.

Bottom line, no matter what you'll have to exchange some things from your current life to build your future life. One path may be to chuck projects, work and save money, then work part time to take day courses. Nothing is permanent, it's just a possible path.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 11-25-2012, 02:44 AM   #3
pain's fun, hit me again

All the ones that are reasonably local are M T W from 8:50 to noon. There's no way I can make that change. We don't do "part time" at the shop and we certainly don't do schedules that work for us

70% of my work is field work and no matter what I'll need to retain this job, no way around it. I however don't mind one bit about classes from 3:00pm on or weekends.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 11-25-2012, 02:50 AM   #4
I, Vettezuki

So is it a credential or something documented you are after, or "just" additional knowledge?

If it's a credential, there are two questions you need to ask.
1 - Is it recognized and weighted in your application? It's easy to spend time and money on degrees/certificates that don't necesarrily weigh in your favor when applying for X.

2 - If you must maintain your daily 9-12, AND a certification weighs heavily, chuck the projects and anything that doesn't bring in money, and spend it on what advances your primary goal. To this end, if you tell me $15k puts you in ahead in competing for what you really want. FUCK duh dude. Spend it!

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 11-25-2012, 03:02 AM   #5
I, Vettezuki

BTW, in economics and entrepreneurship this called "time preference." Basically, a lot of what we think of us as successful, wealth, etc. is built by people with relatively lower time preferences; that is a willingness to "rough it" in the short term to build what the want in the "long term". Second there is all the difference in the world between spending money or accumulating debt good vs. bad. Spending and debt to build an asset which produces is not bad spending or debt! There is all the difference in the world between someone who invest in their MARKETABLE/USEFUL education, etc., and someone who just consumes the same dollar amount on satisfying a want that does not produce.

Let's assume $15k.
Guy spends $15k on certificate X which puts him in a position to earn 5x more than he does now.
Guy spends $15k on car parts.

There's actually nothing fundamentally, morally, or cosmically wrong about either of these scenarios. It's relative to what a person says they really want as a goal. The problem is that a lot of people get confused about what it takes to get to where they want to be; spend money on toys in the short term, and sacrifice their long term growth.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 11-25-2012, 03:12 AM   #6
pain's fun, hit me again

I'm not doing it to save money for car parts. I have a level of bills that needs to be paid. And i'm trying to rectify debts, I haven't done a whole lot of car spending at all lately.

What I do have an issue with is paying 25k for a 12 month long certificate program, just so I can go online or weekends. 25k buys me a whole lot of shit. Property, tools, machinery etc. Not just "parts" Hell I could easily start my hobby shop business with that kind of money.

The money I keep making by finding a program in my off hours allows me to use that money towards getting that education and NOT acquiring debt to do so. I'm almost done, I'm close to having everything cleared away. I want it to stay that way, I've also brought my credit up to a 730. With the completion of this last loan, I should be well into the 760-790 range. I'm not just working for a job, I wan't a house.

Stopping the world!
Old 11-25-2012, 03:55 AM   #7
I, Vettezuki

My point is a little higher level (abstraction) and has to do with trades among goals. IF becoming a police officer is the highest goal period, AND getting a certificate in X puts you well ahead of competition, then other considerations, including other biz, house, whatever, is distinctly secondary IMO. I'd consider selling anything I didn't actually need, not just not spending on it, to advance the primary goal.

Depending on your resources, if you try to gobble up several different things at one time, you may end up with nothing. IMO, since you seem to have a clear idea of where you want to be, most things fall into distinctly two categories, those which advance that goal and those that don't.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 11-25-2012, 10:24 AM   #8

Fullerton College has a police program.

Boost, because sometimes atmospheric pressure just isn't enough.

"If it has tit's or tires, you can be pretty sure your going to have problems with them..."
Old 11-25-2012, 12:15 PM   #9
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
My point is a little higher level (abstraction) and has to do with trades among goals. IF becoming a police officer is the highest goal period, AND getting a certificate in X puts you well ahead of competition, then other considerations, including other biz, house, whatever, is distinctly secondary IMO. I'd consider selling anything I didn't actually need, not just not spending on it, to advance the primary goal.

Depending on your resources, if you try to gobble up several different things at one time, you may end up with nothing. IMO, since you seem to have a clear idea of where you want to be, most things fall into distinctly two categories, those which advance that goal and those that don't.
And my point is that if I decide to take that course I would have to leave my job completely. Which isn't going to help anything. I have 2 things I still own that i'll never sell. The blue and gray car, both were things, that no matter what I was going to have before I moved out onto my own. That way I already have them. The gray car would be absolutely stupid to try and sell and the blue car, well, that is still going to be a wedding gift to Vanessa should I get the chance. If not, i'll still be keeping it as i'll need a secondary vehicle.

This certificate won't put me grossly ahead of other competitors. Especially when it comes down to the hiring process if I don't have a job at all.

Stopping the world!
Old 11-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian View Post
Fullerton College has a police program.
Fullerton is almost an hour away, that's not reasonably close. All colleges have the program, but few of them offer alternate schedules for them

Stopping the world!