Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 07-18-2009, 12:36 AM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default Towing 16' - 20' Trailer w/Jeep Wrangler

I'm thinking to downsize my fleet by selling my Protege and maybe even the Truck. The Jeep is about the last thing I'd get rid of for sentimental reasons. I'll need to get a trailer in the range 16' - 20' to tow our various projects around. My concern is towing a trailer of any real length behind something with so short a wheelbase.

Is this as dangerous as it seems in my mind, or is there any way to stabilize a trailer of that length behind a short wheel base vehicle that I'm not aware of?

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-18-2009, 11:30 AM   #2
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
I'm thinking to downsize my fleet by selling my Protege and maybe even the Truck. The Jeep is about the last thing I'd get rid of for sentimental reasons. I'll need to get a trailer in the range 16' - 20' to tow our various projects around. My concern is towing a trailer of any real length behind something with so short a wheelbase.

Is this as dangerous as it seems in my mind, or is there any way to stabilize a trailer of that length behind a short wheel base vehicle that I'm not aware of?
Hell, during my river days, we used to tow a 21 ft boat behind a 70 LT1 Vette--98 inch wheels base. We had it over 110 mph at one time.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 07-18-2009, 04:50 PM   #3
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
Hell, during my river days, we used to tow a 21 ft boat behind a 70 LT1 Vette--98 inch wheels base. We had it over 110 mph at one time.
Well, he YJ is 93.4" Wheelbase with 66" Width.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-18-2009, 10:49 PM   #4
Graphics B*tch

Don't worry about it. I think my truck can handle the 16 to 20 footer. I hope.

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten
Old 07-18-2009, 11:11 PM   #5
Fast & Filthy

I don't think you'll be able to tow the Rx-Snake with your Jeep. I know I wouldn't do it. It's not a matter of wheel base but of weight. First, your rear springs won't hold the weight and will bottom out on the bump stops. Another issue will be that if you need to avoid something by swerving the weight of the trailer with vehicle on it will be greater than your Jeep causing it to slide and jack knife.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:20 AM   #6
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
I don't think you'll be able to tow the Rx-Snake with your Jeep. I know I wouldn't do it. It's not a matter of wheel base but of weight. First, your rear springs won't hold the weight and will bottom out on the bump stops. Another issue will be that if you need to avoid something by swerving the weight of the trailer with vehicle on it will be greater than your Jeep causing it to slide and jack knife.
We've thought about that too. But:

1 - the springs can be changed for more towing capaicty.
2 - actually the curb weight especially with people and junk in the YJ will approach 5,000 lbs. I'm guessing but RX-Snake and a no frills trailer (like you have) will be < 4,000

I have other options, even if I get rid of the one buck (useful as it is). One is that my mom has a big Dodge Dakato Cummins disel that would pull that litterally like it wasn't there. It's also got the wheelbase of a tennis court.

Just trying to simplify, intelligently.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-19-2009, 09:57 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Braking will be your only problem. Without enough traction you will jackknife and without enough brake force your insurance premium will go up...
Old 07-25-2009, 09:33 AM   #8
Power's off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
I agree. Wanna thin the heard? Sell everything you don't use. The $$ you save would get you a nice used pickup. I have a friend that just bought a 2005 crew cab Dodge Ram, 34,000 miles, FROM a dealer for $8,200 cash. Hell, I paid more for my 03 with more milage.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:21 PM   #9
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by big2bird View Post
I agree. Wanna thin the heard? Sell everything you don't use. The $$ you save would get you a nice used pickup. I have a friend that just bought a 2005 crew cab Dodge Ram, 34,000 miles, FROM a dealer for $8,200 cash. Hell, I paid more for my 03 with more milage.
My GMC Sierra is a great used pickup. I wouldn't sell the Jeep for sentimental reasons, so I was kind of wondering if I could condense down to and use the Jeep as my all arounder again. But really, while it's stupid to have all the cars I have, they are all paid for in full and, don't cost much to maintain, and have very specific uses, so I'll probably just keep them for now. Until CA makes the Registration stupidly expensive.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)