Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 06-13-2010, 10:55 AM   #61
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
Yes, I thought you were. If you really think you should be able to do all those things you've listed I've lost some respect for you. Their are very good reasons why you can't do a lot of those.
Well at least you got to know me a little better today.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:03 AM   #62
Super Moderator

And I don't mean having sex in a crowded place. But outside, when no one is around. I had a friend who was peeing on a sand dune in Glamis, no civilization for miles around him. A ranger drove over the dune just then, spotted him and cited him for indecent exposure. That's bullshit.

IMO, the Ranger should have seen him urinating, been respectful and driven around him. Not harassed him.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:05 AM   #63
Super Moderator

If you guys want to have sex with your wives on the beach at 2 am, in the dark with no one around, you shouldn't be cited as criminals if a cop happens to roll up.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:07 AM   #64
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Starting from the minor detail that something like 40% of my working life is taken from me (total taxation) without my agreement, which I think is the same as involuntary servitude. This involuntary servitude pays in part the six figure salaries and guaranteed lifetime benefits of people like Barabara Boxer, whom I loathe, etc. etc. etc. Do I have a choice? Nope.
I already knew you'd say taxes. I don't think taxes are unreasonable. If you don't want to live in a society with taxes, go start your own.

Continuing with that theme:

Quote:
- Subject to conscription as the government deems necessary. Means the state has primary claim over the disposition of my life. Betcha some wars might have turned out differently if there wasn't a draft, say like Viet Nam. (Nationally) No we don't have a draft, but they reserve the "right".
I asked about things that impact you on a daily basis. This doesn't. You haven't been drafted and likely never will.

Quote:
- Subject to jury service. Not as serious as conscripted military service, but nonetheless is a gun to the head to work for the state . . . directly. Necessary? No. This was recently a giant PITA for my wife. What the fu*k do they care. Obey or else. (Nationally)
I've been to jury duty 6 times in the last 10 years. While it is a pain in the ass, it's necessary for our legal system. What's your better idea? Do you want to have professional jurors paid for by your tax dollars? Of course not, then you'd just be complaining about that. So how would you actually address this?

Quote:
- I can drink myself to death, but if I get caught buying pot, I'm in trouble. (Punishments vary. CA may defy the Feds on this. Yeah!)
This one is stupid and will change during the next state election. Besides, my friend who is a cop told me they won't arrest you for it unless you have a large amount. Do you advocate all drugs should be legal?

Quote:
- The SCOTUS has ruled Police are not responsible for protecting me from criminals. But hey look, in CA I can't carry a concealed weapon to protect myself, especially in the most dangerous counties. (Worst in CA, but mostly national.)
You can open carry. Go ahead and do it. Why does it need to be concealed? If I saw you with a gun hanging out I'd for sure know not to mess with you.

Quote:
- Unlike Europe, I can't buy fu*king cheese made with whole milk, because some booger eater needs to save the public from the scourge of whole milk. (Nationally)
I honestly have no idea on this one. I'll have to research to see why it is.

Quote:
- If I'm terminally ill and would like to take a treatment available in foreign countries, but not yet admitted by the FDA, they would prefer that I die. This has happened to more than one. What do they care. They're saving the public. Who cares about you. (Nationally)
Again, another thing that DOES NOT affect you daily. The FDA is necessary because it turns out you can't just give drugs to people without testing the effects first. If you want to go to the other country to have the treatment you have the right to do so.

Quote:
- The PO has pissed me off a couple times with their poor service for our business. Do I have a choice for first class mail? No. Why? Because the government says so that's why. (Nationally)
The Postal Services loses money. It's a problem. I'll grant you this one.

Quote:
- I can't install a Roots or Twin Screw blower on my LSx, because the manufacturers haven't paid appropriate homage. (CA)
Nobody got the kit approved because it's a pain in the ass on the Camaro. You had to lower the K-member to get it to work. You have other options.

Quote:
- I'm told what currency I must use in business transactions. If I prefer another currency or commodities, etc., I'm not permitted. (Nationally)
Not being able to accept euros must be a real burden in your life? How about get the dollars and then go to a currency exchange place and change them if you want. Perfectly legal.

Quote:
These are things that have, do, or plausibly may effect ME directly and personally. A short list, off the top of my head.

- Let's say you're poor, but *own* some property passed to you in your family. You can't pay the property taxes. Howdy. Now you learn who really owns all property. The government (who actually doesn't care about people despite their rhetoric, especially when it comes to collecting revenues) will kick your ass right off your land because your peasant ass couldn't pay homage.
I've seen hundreds of people fall behind on property taxes during my time at the credit union. Not once has the government taken their property. It almost always ends up with a tax lien against the property, but the person is still living their.

Quote:
- Let's say you live in an area your government would like to develop (you know, to increase the tax base). Hello eminent domain! Even if you did *own* your land AND paid homage, they'd prefer to have your property. Time to move pumpkin.
Eminent Domain is tough. I often times don't necessarily agree with it. Let me know when if affects you though.

Overall you have produced a very limited list. Besides taxes the worst things you can say about the government are:

-they could draft you (even though they haven't and most likely never will)
-you have to go to jury duty maybe once a year
-you can't carry a concealed weapon (but can open carry)
-you can't buy pot (even though obtaining a card is easy and then you could)
-the damn FDA won't let you take untested drugs
-the postal service occasionally botches something
-you could only put on a tt kit or centrifugal blower, but not a roots
-they could take your property if you don't pay property taxes (but would probably just lien you)
-Eminent Domain could take your property someday, which again will 99.9% probably never happen

Oh, and you can't buy whole cheese.

These really don't seem like that big of a deal I have to say. It also seems things that do affect you on a daily basis like having paved roads, clean air, water, etc are a much bigger positives than not being able to buy whole cheese. The government is NOT that bad and really this just proves to me that it really doesn't impede you much.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:10 AM   #65
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
And I don't mean having sex in a crowded place. But outside, when no one is around. I had a friend who was peeing on a sand dune in Glamis, no civilization for miles around him. A ranger drove over the dune just then, spotted him and cited him for indecent exposure. That's bullshit.

IMO, the Ranger should have seen him urinating, been respectful and driven around him. Not harassed him.
Glamis is public property. He has every right to cite him. If your friend wants to buy a piece of property and pee on every square inch he has every right. Now, if he's in the front yard of his property exposing his penis to kids walking by on the sidewalk, then we have a problem again.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:11 AM   #66
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
If you guys want to have sex with your wives on the beach at 2 am, in the dark with no one around, you shouldn't be cited as criminals if a cop happens to roll up.
Again, public property. He has every right to cite us.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:27 AM   #67
Super Moderator

Quote:
Glamis is public property. He has every right to cite him. If your friend wants to buy a piece of property and pee on every square inch he has every right. Now, if he's in the front yard of his property exposing his penis to kids walking by on the sidewalk, then we have a problem again.
I pee on my front yard all the time. I don't think there is anything wrong with nudity. Nudity for me is sacred in a relationship, but that's it. I'll run down my street naked for a dare or go skinny dipping with drunk friends on a regular basis, unless I'm in a relationship. Then I think it's disrespectful to my gf and I won't do it.

But there are nudist public beaches in much of Europe. And there's nothing wrong with that. Penis is only offensive because we have allowed prudes to impose their bullshit ethical standards on us. There is nothing immoral about nudity. People are even naked in soap commercials in Europe. Pick up a European magazine next time you're at Borders and flip through it.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:28 AM   #68
Super Moderator

But I think if you have sex on the beach during the day, you should be cited for public disturbance. Or if you pee on the white house gate at noon, cited, because that is gross. But indecent exposure laws IMO are total BS.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:31 AM   #69
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
I pee on my front yard all the time. I don't think there is anything wrong with nudity. Nudity for me is sacred in a relationship, but that's it. I'll run down my street naked for a dare or go skinny dipping with drunk friends on a regular basis, unless I'm in a relationship. Then I think it's disrespectful to my gf and I won't do it.

But there are nudist public beaches in much of Europe. And there's nothing wrong with that. Penis is only offensive because we have allowed prudes to impose their bullshit ethical standards on us. There is nothing immoral about nudity. People are even naked in soap commercials in Europe. Pick up a European magazine next time you're at Borders and flip through it.
In this case the laws protect people like me from having to see your naked ass. I appreciate them more than ever.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:55 AM   #70
Super Moderator

Quote:
In this case the laws protect people like me from having to see your naked ass. I appreciate them more than ever.
LOL