Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 03-22-2009, 04:03 PM   #161
Graphics B*tch

I agree with Sean Ron. The cage looked great. I love working on a car that I can break stuff on. Ben and I realized the dash was totally shot so we decided not to be gentle, we got to break stuff!!! gotta love that. We also ralized that tif I am going am going to be able to drive this beast we are going to have to get a new seat. My head sticks out through the roof as it stands now.

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten
Old 03-22-2009, 06:39 PM   #162
I, Vettezuki

I'll probably get the Time Lapse up latter tonight or tomorrow, but here's some additional pics and details about the way forward.

Sun Roof Removed.

Sun Roof. I'm going to disassemble this and weld just the metal part back into to make it a solid top.

Early in the day we were thinking to fill the part where the molding was, but later on, Leedom and Death Cult suggested leaving it as a design element. I agree. It actually gives a little dimensionality. Maybe we'll do something with paint of vinyl to do like a snake skin effect.

However, we will fill in he molding on the front and very back. More welding, yeah!

No, that ain't smack, but enkeivette likes it almost as much. That's Rage, the green stuff you see on the car. It's like Bondo, but more better for filling in minor dings.

Later on in the evening when Death Cult came by after work, the Rage had set up enough to work with. Don't have a pic, but he started the Glaze on the rear too.

Leedom and I make a good team for using inappropriate force to get things done.

enkeivette will make a new fiberglass bumper that will be a simple, but elegant, sheer line down making for a very clean rear, and who doesn't want a clean rear.

Death Cult is thinking about different ways to do the flares. He's interested in doing some old school metal working, but that could be opening up a can of worms. The other main methods are fleece molding in place (no molds, just working directly on the car) and making an actul buck and mold. The back up for the flares is buying a pair of off the shelf pieces. They're listed some posts back in this thread.

I'll weld the tops of the light covers to the hood to make a single one pice full hood. All lights are being removed. This will never be a street car again, or would require fabbing to do so (not so bad really). I just want to have a freer hand in making what we want instead of trying to preserve some possibility of a path it would never likely go down again anyway.

We'll keep the one light on the trunk lid as NHRA requires a light on the rear.

Two of the wheels have stripped lugs. I may have to drill them out and install new studs. Maybe not a bad idea anyway.

We'll be putting in a Kirky seat, pretty flush to the floor. I'll investigate banging out the floor as it's pretty dented in. We should be able to get a couple extra inches of head clearance pretty easily.

Thanks to big2bird for dropping off his brand new pneumatic inline sander to borrow for this project. It is AWESOME. Also thanks to kamelongt bring over a bunch of sand paper and rage. Mad props to one and all.

Like I told Aaron at around 10:30 when I was pretty spent. When we're done, I want everyone to think, "wow, I didn't know we could do that much, that well, that fast." Let's keep the hammer down.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-22-2009, 08:25 PM   #163
Super Moderator

By using the sander to remove the adhesive from the body groove in the way that I/we did, it's going to be wavy as shit. If you want to keep it, it will now need lots of blocking to not like like shit. Also, I'm sure I dented and scratched that area removing the molding. And to fill in the rear holes in the molding area and then fill/ sand those in, will be just as difficult if not more. Because rather than sanding the panel flat, we will have to sand in a groove, not much room to move.

I vote to fill it, or weld it and fill it. We need a clear plan of action before we begin to do things.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:55 PM   #164
Power's off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
By using the sander to remove the adhesive from the body groove in the way that I/we did, it's going to be wavy as shit. If you want to keep it, it will now need lots of blocking to not like like shit. Also, I'm sure I dented and scratched that area removing the molding. And to fill in the rear holes in the molding area and then fill/ sand those in, will be just as difficult if not more. Because rather than sanding the panel flat, we will have to sand in a groove, not much room to move.

I vote to fill it, or weld it and fill it. We need a clear plan of action before we begin to do things.
It's metal, not fiberglassglass. You can sand for days and not get it wavey.
I wouldn't touch that groove, nor fill the holes. (Weld holes shut and grind down if you wish). Just install some vinyl colored tape later and call it good. Bondo adds weight. I have thought about buying some Lexan, and removing all the windows to boot. Paint/body goes faster without glass also.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:56 PM   #165
Power's off.

For flares, I would think about using the flat black rubber crap 4x4's use.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:01 PM   #166
Power's off.

My last thought. It's a RACE CAR. If it has NO FUNCTION, it GOES.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:25 PM   #167
Power's off.

Ben, Is it within the rules to leave the sunroof off?
Old 03-22-2009, 09:33 PM   #168
I, Vettezuki

enkei -

- We will weld and fill flat the rear and front molding areas.
- We will make the groove look nice.

Focus on design and method for the the bumper first, then we'll move forward.

bird -

- no 4x4 flares, those are for 4x4s
- lexan sounds cool, but it's not something that needs to be handled and because there's so many other small items to deal with we'll stick with glass

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-22-2009, 09:38 PM   #169
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by big2bird View Post
Ben, Is it within the rules to leave the sunroof off?
We were thinking about that. I don't know the exact rules but I know that NHRA requires a vert has its top up, and that a Vette have its T-Tops on. *Probably* they'd say we need to have it. We were thinking a net like Nascar side window would be cool, but playing it safe, and giving me more things to weld, I'll put it back in.

Function? To hall ass AND look good while doing it.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-22-2009, 10:18 PM   #170
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
We were thinking about that. I don't know the exact rules but I know that NHRA requires a vert has its top up, and that a Vette have its T-Tops on. *Probably* they'd say we need to have it. We were thinking a net like Nascar side window would be cool, but playing it safe, and giving me more things to weld, I'll put it back in.

Function? To hall ass AND look good while doing it.
Have we established what day this week we're working next, or are we waiting until the weekend?