Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 05-10-2010, 12:11 AM   #11
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
You're building this engine for your road racing Mustang, correct? Are you going to be racing it in a series or is this just for fun? Right now you have a pretty much stock 302 that probably makes about 200rwhp or less. Even with a mildly built 347 with 9:1 compression and 10psi that will run on pump gas you should be able to make a reliable 450-500rwhp. Trust me when I say that even with that you are going to be more than happy with the available power. The 275 rear tires you have now will have a hard time holding that much power when on the throttle coming out of a corner. This is what Eric has planned for his fox body only with a 331.

Back when I decided to rebuild my 302 and add the Vortech S-trim I had my car dyno'd to see where it was at for a base line. It made 254rwhp. The only things I changed besides adding the S-trim and it's supporting mods (injectors, fuel pump, MAF, etc.) was a set of AFR 165 heads and an E303 cam. I figure if I were to have dyno'd the car after installing just those I probably would have made closer to 300rwhp. As my car sits now with 12psi it made 436rwhp on 91 and 471rwhp on VP Street Blaze 100. Now granted I'm not running an aftercooler so there is still another 50rwhp or so I could be making on pump gas but that is still far from double the power output of the N/A combo.
Just for fun, i realistically might get the car out to 3 track days a year my schedule probably wont allow more, this engine wont have any expense spared, it is currently built to handle the 1000hp mark, mechanical roller cam, forged pushrods, 1:7 rockers, cam TBA (something very aggressive)just need 185 heads, trick flow box R, injectors etc etc
Old 05-10-2010, 12:21 AM   #12
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
Just for fun, i realistically might get the car out to 3 track days a year my schedule probably wont allow more, this engine wont have any expense spared, it is currently built to handle the 1000hp mark, mechanical roller cam, forged pushrods, 1:7 rockers, cam TBA (something very aggressive)just need 185 heads, trick flow box R, injectors etc etc
You're not going to get there with AFR 185's. You need to go with the 225's or something equivalent.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:24 AM   #13
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
You're not going to get there with AFR 185's. You need to go with the 225's or something equivalent.
Well i was actually leaning towards Trick Flows, i was only hoping to do it with 185's so i could keep the power range down low and start building power around the 3-4k range, well i guess back to my research, still a long way off until that engine is done
Old 05-10-2010, 02:50 AM   #14
Super Moderator

Quote:
I run AFR 195s, have more cubes than you and only 1lb less of boost than you intend to push. I'm not even putting out 800hp.

Even with 220s and a solid cam I don't think you'll make 800hp with only 14lbs of boost out of a 347. You'll need more boost, and more octane. Otherwise more cubes.

P.S. You don't need an F1 for only 14lbs, that's a waste. You can do that easily with a D1 or maybe even a P1. My D1SC is good for I think 19lbs.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:50 AM   #15
Internet Tough Guy

Hey I would like to chime in.

I'm assuming that you have not bought the blower yet. You are running a big blower which will obviously help. It will push more are at the same PSI than an S trim due to the reduced heat input. I would say the easiest blower hp estimator is:

(PSI/14.7X NA HP)-W(blower estimate 50-150hp)=SC horsepower

I will also through out that road racing gets substantially more expensive with the increase in power and weight. I sometimes debate shifting from the Corvette to a solstice just for the cost savings. May not be that big of a deal based on 3 track days per year, but if your schedule frees up and then you become funds limited that would suck. WHen you do go racing watch out for this one black Corvette. The driver is a real ass. Good luck on the build keep us posted.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:00 AM   #16
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post

I'm assuming that you have not bought the blower yet. You are running a big blower which will obviously help. It will push more are at the same PSI than an S trim due to the reduced heat input. I would say the easiest blower hp estimator is:

I will also through out that road racing gets substantially more expensive with the increase in power and weight. I sometimes debate shifting from the Corvette to a solstice just for the cost savings. May not be that big of a deal based on 3 track days per year, but if your schedule frees up and then you become funds limited that would suck. WHen you do go racing watch out for this one black Corvette. The driver is a real ass. Good luck on the build keep us posted.
I'll be a cop soon so i dont foresee my schedule freeing up for a long time but thanks for the tip, if it does happen that the motor has too much power i can always remove it and put it in my drag car then build something in the 400-500hp range for the road course car
Old 05-10-2010, 02:16 PM   #17
Internet Tough Guy

Thanks for you future service. Go big or Go home!
Old 05-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #18
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
I run AFR 195s, have more cubes than you and only 1lb less of boost than you intend to push. I'm not even putting out 800hp.

Even with 220s and a solid cam I don't think you'll make 800hp with only 14lbs of boost out of a 347. You'll need more boost, and more octane. Otherwise more cubes.

P.S. You don't need an F1 for only 14lbs, that's a waste. You can do that easily with a D1 or maybe even a P1. My D1SC is good for I think 19lbs.
Sorry i missed this post, reason i chose the F1c was room to grow for the blower
Old 05-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #19
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post

Put that motor in a Solstice. You will be my hero.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:03 PM   #20
pain's fun, hit me again

I also have to say i think there was a bit of miscommunication on my part as far as the terms of my engine,i didnt mean to come off as im going to make 800rwhp with 14psi of boost, just that i wanted to make sure i was understanding the equation for calculating boost, minus the variables set forth due to parasitic loss etc. My error and i hope this clears some stuff up