Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-12-2009, 02:09 PM   #11
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
The Ready to Run MSD Dizzies are pretty good. I really like the Accel Multi spark box. I use Accel stuff most of the time.

We sell the Accel Multi spark stuff here. I use the 8 mil Super Stock Spiral wrap wires. The Accel Caps are the way to go.
So you generally don't like MSD, except for their drop in Dizzies?

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-12-2009, 02:13 PM   #12

Dizzies ??????? what is that.

Best Trap Speed 89.67MPH on Nitto Street Tires
Old 01-12-2009, 02:23 PM   #13
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertermi04 View Post
Dizzies ??????? what is that.
Dizzy = Distributor. You know, because distributor takes too long to say and someone might know what you're talking about.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-12-2009, 02:27 PM   #14

Best Trap Speed 89.67MPH on Nitto Street Tires
Old 01-12-2009, 02:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertermi04 View Post
I think when we do the rewiring im going to ask my dad if we could just do an aftermarket ignitions with wires better spark plugs and cap and rotor.
Do u guys think its worth it getting an aftermarket ignition system like MSD for a mostly stock engine.
For your application, I would just get a good coil and a pertronix electronic ignition module to put in a stock distributor. Also get some good wires, a good cap, and plugs and you're good to go without spending a whole lot of cash.

http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor/default.aspx

HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your ass?
Old 01-12-2009, 03:03 PM   #16
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedls View Post
For your application, I would just get a good coil and a pertronix electronic ignition module to put in a stock distributor. Also get some good wires, a good cap, and plugs and you're good to go without spending a whole lot of cash.

http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor/default.aspx
That's actually what I did. I used the Pertronix Ingitor one first then went to the Pertronix Ingitor II with the variable dwell. But you need a .6 coil with the II.

Accel stuff I have used lasted many many years. Remember I've had the Vette since 72 and have only bought three Accel caps. You can not go wrong with Accel Ingition parts. I have one Super Stock coil that I put on in 72 and finally took it off last year for .6 coil. It still works. I got a NEW MSD coil and it lasted only a month. Finally went to a Pertronix .6 coil last year and it is still working.

"Dizzy" is used by people who KNOW what's happening.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 01-12-2009, 03:15 PM   #17
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
So you generally don't like MSD, except for their drop in Dizzies?
Yes, the Ready to Runs MSDs Dizzy seem to hold up ok. It's their damn 5 and 6a type boxes that are crap. Before you say "mine works fine". I've been dealing with the MSD crap since 78. I've had to save DOZENS of people when thier boxes just quit. I have 6 of my own in a box somewhere. They all quit at the worst possible times. No more for me.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 01-12-2009, 04:43 PM   #18
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Basically no, no real set back. Simply there's no reason to do it. The energy content of the higher octane gas is not higher, only its resistance to igniting. However, if you have a higher compression motor (I don't know what that one is), the higher octane would let you go for a more agressive tune and make more power, namely with advanced timing. I guess my point is, there's not really any harm in running higher octane fuel on a stock engine, but unless it's combined with agressive tuning, etc., there's no point either. Some might even say that running premium in an engine designed for regular may actually reduce power, mostly because of the way the fuel ignites and the timing curve, but I've never seen any scientific study.

Conclusion. Sure you can put it in there, but unless you do something to take advantage of the higher octane fuel, there's no inherent advantage to putting that gas in.

As for ignition, I'll leave that to the other guys who know way more about that old school stuff. I only know that some serious guys I know seem to prefer Mallory over MSD, but there's certainly plenty of people running MSD.

Popular Hot Rodding did a test on a 400hp 10:1 compression 355 Chevy on race fuel vs pump gas. They ran 91, 100 and 118. This was their conclusion "Filling your tank with high-octane fuel, when your engine runs fine with 91 octane, is a waste of money. In this engine's case, minimal gains were achieved after a dozen tests were made, and would be too small to notice at the track. The higher 118-octane fuel made less power than both 100 and 91 octane."

I'm with Glen on the MSD stuff even though that's what I'm running on both the Chevelle and the Cobra. I use to have Mallory stuff on the Chevelle but the distributor broke after 14 years of racing on it and it was almost $400 for the same one now. I only paid $159 from Super Shops back when I bought it in 1993.

Anyhow, I don't know if it's because I added a timing retard to the system or if it just isn't as strong of a spark but I have to run 43 degrees of timing to run the same mph as I did with 36 degrees with the Mallory stuff.

Also, Taylor makes a good wire and are reasonably priced. I've run MSD, Ford Racing and Taylor wires on the Cobra and both the MSD and Ford Racing wires burnt through near the header. The Taylor wires haven't and they have been on there at least a year. The Ford Racing wires were the worst and only lasted about a month before they burt through.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:23 AM   #19

I put a MSD Pro-Billet distributor in Ol' Red. The factory TI distributor had some issues with the lower bushing- after 38 years of running a factory HV oil pump it was worn out. The instructions that came with it (the MSD), said "must be used with an MSD 6, 6AL, or 7AL ignition box". I checked the output of both the factory TI and the MSD- factory dizzy output was .08 volts and the MSD was .05 volts. And that's just turning it by hand. My reasoning is that since the factory dizzy has a higher output it should trigger anything the MSD will. So I'm using a Summit branded Mallory box and it works great.
Just because the manufacturer says you need to use their whole system is not always a true statement. They want to sell their parts.
And I sure like being able to change the advance curve on the MSD. I had changed the curve on the TI dizzy, but the MSD is lots easier to change.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:27 AM   #20
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAT View Post
I put a MSD Pro-Billet distributor in Ol' Red. The factory TI distributor had some issues with the lower bushing- after 38 years of running a factory HV oil pump it was worn out. The instructions that came with it (the MSD), said "must be used with an MSD 6, 6AL, or 7AL ignition box". I checked the output of both the factory TI and the MSD- factory dizzy output was .08 volts and the MSD was .05 volts. And that's just turning it by hand. My reasoning is that since the factory dizzy has a higher output it should trigger anything the MSD will. So I'm using a Summit branded Mallory box and it works great.
Just because the manufacturer says you need to use their whole system is not always a true statement. They want to sell their parts.
And I sure like being able to change the advance curve on the MSD. I had changed the curve on the TI dizzy, but the MSD is lots easier to change.

Tim:
How about a diagram of how you wired the MSD dizzy to the Mallory box?

The Mallory box is a much better box than the any of the 6xx MSD boxes.
2016 Nissan Altma