Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 07-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #11
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Hey Guy, how practical would it be to buy something like this: http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/boa/3023548842.html
and drop in a FI V8?
Not very practical at all, it would almost need everything changed
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stopping the world!

Last edited by Shaolin Crane : 07-01-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:40 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Que?

What kinda boat is that in the pic?? Out of my price range from the looks of it?
Old 07-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #13
pain's fun, hit me again

It was the 81 lavey craft power boat magazine, built by banks, twin turbo 383. My dads boat, not mine.

The boat you listed would need a new bell drive, throttle assembly, base mounts etc. Its not as simple as doing a transplant in in a car.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stopping the world!
Old 07-01-2012, 11:08 PM   #14
Super Moderator

Oh you meant changed! I thought you actually meant v hanged... thought that was some boat lingo... hahaha.

Thanks Guy
Old 07-01-2012, 11:21 PM   #15
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Oh you meant changed! I thought you actually meant v hanged... thought that was some boat lingo... hahaha.

Thanks Guy
Fat fingers on my phone. lol.

Stopping the world!
Old 07-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #16

I had a 79 Carrera 25ft off shore cruiser. 350 vette Volvo 280 IO. Previously called Crusader, now defunct, Eliminator built a almost identical boat. it would run about 50mph and I could get it airborne using the wakes of bigger boats.
The deep v of the 25ft and longer boats gives a much better ride and a 25 over a 23 is a lot bigger inside. 2- 35 gal tanks.
Ours had a sundeck over the motor so I could stow a lot of stuff in there on each side of the motor and still seat 5 comfortably. Those under the deck love seats are a joke. Trust me, the less seating the less freeloaders you will have.
When the dummies built the boat the installed the motor and outdrive too high. So they had to put a 4in extension on the outdrive (fishing boats have up a 18in extension) and it made it much easier to change the oil.

Our group had 3 of these a 78, my 79 and a 81 or 82. the 81 was built during the slump in the economy and he had less glass then the 78 and 79 and could literally leave us in the dust. So the owner of the 78 rebuilt balanced and bluepinted his engine, blueprinted the carb, took the cup out of the bottom and dished it requiring cavitation plates. We all raced and the 78 and 79 ran neck and neck and the 81 just motored away. Guess who was really pissed.
The sleeks are heavier and therefore a little slower but real nice boats. I personally would not own a open bow.
At that time the volvo, mercruiser IO would only support a 350ci motor, Stern drive would support a bigger motor but their drives were expensive. Some of these old boats now have built 455s in them with the same 280 outdrives the outdrive won't last with those big motors.
IOs are nice, you can steer at slow speeds, unlike jets, they popup if you run over something saving your $100 prop (1980 price). And with the IO directed exhaust are quiet.
Here is one that will probably blow the IO out soon http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/boa/3049500380.html

If I found a nice boat with a big block in it, I would sell the motor and put a nice 350 ls in it.

A company in FL is selling a ls outboard IIRC ~550hp. Bring a check with 5 digits on it.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #17
Super Moderator

Just saw a crusader, did it look kinda like this?

Id love a boat like the one you posted, but Ill need to store it in a garage, so Im limited to prob about 18 feet.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:13 AM   #18
pain's fun, hit me again

if you want something small thats not a jet dont over look an outboard. Many are light and can be had with a v8. Just more technical to work on.

Stopping the world!
Old 07-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #19

Just punch the back wall of the garage out, probably just the kitchen anyway and with the outdoor grills these days who needs a kitchen.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #20
Super Moderator

Haha, dont have a wall to punch out. Had to move back home till I find a job, which is why I sold my boat in the first place... and I was just over it. Haha. Im really just curious and planning ahead. But when I do move back put itll be in an apt, and whatever I get will have to fit in a single car garage again.

I wont overlook outboards Guy. Seems to me, v drive, direct, or outboard Ill be ok. So long as Im not trying to force water through a jet Ill get my top speed and ligh throttle crusing.