Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 07-23-2008, 01:16 PM   #11
Super Moderator

No, just with the cost of gas, heavy cars are becoming less appealing to me. And the more I ride around in RX7s and Miatas that can make me almost puke around a corner, my 3Klb car feels heavy as sh*t to me. When the weight starts to approach 4K I'm just no longer interested.

Lotus Exige, wave of the future.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:44 PM   #12
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
No, just with the cost of gas, heavy cars are becoming less appealing to me. And the more I ride around in RX7s and Miatas that can make me almost puke around a corner, my 3Klb car feels heavy as sh*t to me. When the weight starts to approach 4K I'm just no longer interested.

Lotus Exige, wave of the future.
It's true. I can point my wife's MX-5 at a corner and it just sticks and goes around it like you wouldn't believe. The vette will do it too, but it's a whole different (scarier) sensation; you can really feel the inertia wanting to go straight. I REALLY want to build a Factory Five GTM. 2,400 lbs mid engined, LSx power.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-23-2008, 03:50 PM   #13
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
It's true. I can point my wife's MX-5 at a corner and it just sticks and goes around it like you wouldn't believe. The vette will do it too, but it's a whole different (scarier) sensation; you can really feel the inertia wanting to go straight. I REALLY want to build a Factory Five GTM. 2,400 lbs mid engined, LSx power.
So, the Electric Drag Race Car isn't going to happen???
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 07-23-2008, 04:18 PM   #14
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn64vette View Post
So, the Electric Drag Race Car isn't going to happen???
The GTM would be a personal project.

As for the electric drag car, not at the moment. Mostly a matter of time and expertise, even more than money. Though I thought, instead of doing a FoxBody drag car, doing like an old 240sx that could go to both the drags and AutoX, and be made street legal, might be more beneficial.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-24-2008, 09:08 AM   #15
Neanderthal

Quote:
The GTM would be a personal project.

As for the electric drag car, not at the moment. Mostly a matter of time and expertise, even more than money. Though I thought, instead of doing a FoxBody drag car, doing like an old 240sx that could go to both the drags and AutoX, and be made street legal, might be more beneficial.

Non-American vehicle-----------------
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 07-24-2008, 11:07 AM   #16
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Non-American vehicle-----------------
If you know of an affordable pre 1975 American platform that would be good for both AutoX and Drag, like a 240SX, I'm all ears. If it's a touch quirky all the better. Here at Motorgen we're ideologically promiscuous. Obviously for an electric car the starting platform needs to have the best potential for being light as possible. Hence something like a Fox Body as a great drag starting point, but the old SX could be even lighter and has the right balance and dynamics to do both Drag and AutoX.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-25-2008, 10:13 AM   #17
Neanderthal

Quote:
If you know of an affordable pre 1975 American platform that would be good for both AutoX and Drag, like a 240SX, I'm all ears. If it's a touch quirky all the better. Here at Motorgen we're ideologically promiscuous. Obviously for an electric car the starting platform needs to have the best potential for being light as possible. Hence something like a Fox Body as a great drag starting point, but the old SX could be even lighter and has the right balance and dynamics to do both Drag and AutoX.
Vega, Monza, Pinto, Comet, Dart do come to mind--such as it is.

Promiscuous??? Hell, I'd "DO" whatever and however and whenever and......................"female"................. .........

Balance??? Hell, once you put the batteries and electric motor in -- what balance?

2016 Nissan Altma
Old 07-25-2008, 11:04 AM   #18
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Vega, Monza, Pinto, Comet, Dart do come to mind--such as it is.

Promiscuous??? Hell, I'd "DO" whatever and however and whenever and......................"female"................. .........

Balance??? Hell, once you put the batteries and electric motor in -- what balance?

Which one of those do think is the best starting platform for Drag/AutoX? That means, potential lightness, availability of after market suspension parts, and initial cost. The motor and battery will add weight, but with placement of batteries "balance" can be preserved or at least bad balance minimized. Total weight is a different and sad story.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-25-2008, 12:50 PM   #19

Quote:
we're ideologically promiscuous.
You shore dew talk purdy.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:19 PM   #20
Neanderthal

Quote:
Which one of those do think is the best starting platform for Drag/AutoX? That means, potential lightness, availability of after market suspension parts, and initial cost. The motor and battery will add weight, but with placement of batteries "balance" can be preserved or at least bad balance minimized. Total weight is a different and sad story.
Probably the Vega. The Pinto comes in second, but it does have light weight and Mustang II type front steering.
2016 Nissan Altma