Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 11-10-2009, 08:10 AM   #11
Internet Tough Guy

Ron,
I agree with the matter of opinion statement, but the c16 example is probably not a good one. It would be hard to not know you are running c16 come fill up time.
CNJ
Old 11-10-2009, 08:23 AM   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
Lets use the 91 octane limit as an example. Most people will say that a street engine has to be run on 91 but what about the person who's willing to run their car on C16 all the time? Let's say that this person drove his car back and forth to work everyday but you didn't know what fuel he ran. By just knowing that he drove it everyday to work would you say his car is a street car? How about after you found out that he ran C16? Would it be any less of a street car?
Yes. If you can't drive your car cross country, or even to Vegas without a chase truck carrying race gas, it's not a street car.

Street car - Car than can be driven reasonably on the streets, not just some streets within a certain radius of your special fuel fill station, but all streets, irrespective of locale.

I suppose you could make the argument that a car made to run on 93 is an exception because 93 is the high octane fuel available on every street corner in most other states.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:26 AM   #13
Super Moderator

Adam, my reason for singling out electric pumps is only that many cars with electric pumps can't drive at certain speeds or even idle without overheating. Which is why I made it conditional, they're fine by me if they can keep it cool.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:35 AM   #14
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Yes. If you can't drive your car cross country, or even to Vegas without a chase truck carrying race gas, it's not a street car.

Street car - Car than can be driven reasonably on the streets, not just some streets within a certain radius of your special fuel fill station, but all streets, irrespective of locale.

I suppose you could make the argument that a car made to run on 93 is an exception because 93 is the high octane fuel available on every street corner in most other states.
And by driven reasonably I mean to include, at any throttle position.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:38 PM   #15
Fast & Filthy

Quote:

So what your saying is corn feds EVO is not a street car? He runs E85 and you can't get it everywhere. I understand your logic but I disagree. If I drove the Chevelle everyday back and forth to work with a round trip of say 70 miles and just filled the tank everyday before I left how would that not make it a street car? It would be driven in traffic just like every other car on the road. What does it matter that I fill it with a mix of 110 and 91. If I lived in Aspen, CO I could run it on 93 pump gas. Would it then be considered a street car in your opinion?
Old 11-10-2009, 04:11 PM   #16
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
So what your saying is corn feds EVO is not a street car? He runs E85 and you can't get it everywhere. I understand your logic but I disagree. If I drove the Chevelle everyday back and forth to work with a round trip of say 70 miles and just filled the tank everyday before I left how would that not make it a street car? It would be driven in traffic just like every other car on the road. What does it matter that I fill it with a mix of 110 and 91. If I lived in Aspen, CO I could run it on 93 pump gas. Would it then be considered a street car in your opinion?
I actually typed that I don't consider CornFeds car a street car, then changed my mind about posting it. Didn't want to make more people hate me than necessary. But yeah... He drives to LA to fill up tanks of corn syrup for his car. Not my def of street car.

If you burn through race gas just to take your Chevelle to work, you're hard core. More power to you. And don't get me wrong, I think that is way fucking cool. Just to me, you're driving a strip car to work. I saw this 1200hp GN driving around on the street with a parachute attached to his trunk. That's way cooler than driving my Vette around the streets IMO, but it doesn't make it a street car.

Here's the thing. In one weekend, I could bolt on a smaller pulley from ATI. Force 20 something lbs of boost into my motor and just fill up with 115 octane. 20mins of work and just under $100 buys me another... what, 200hp? So is my car then an 850hp street car? IMO... no. Now I've made it an ill-equipped strip car. IMO IMHO IMHMFO
Old 11-10-2009, 10:25 PM   #17
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
I actually typed that I don't consider CornFeds car a street car, then changed my mind about posting it. Didn't want to make more people hate me than necessary. But yeah... He drives to LA to fill up tanks of corn syrup for his car. Not my def of street car.

If you burn through race gas just to take your Chevelle to work, you're hard core. More power to you. And don't get me wrong, I think that is way fucking cool. Just to me, you're driving a strip car to work. I saw this 1200hp GN driving around on the street with a parachute attached to his trunk. That's way cooler than driving my Vette around the streets IMO, but it doesn't make it a street car.

Here's the thing. In one weekend, I could bolt on a smaller pulley from ATI. Force 20 something lbs of boost into my motor and just fill up with 115 octane. 20mins of work and just under $100 buys me another... what, 200hp? So is my car then an 850hp street car? IMO... no. Now I've made it an ill-equipped strip car. IMO IMHO IMHMFO
For the most part, I agree.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:03 AM   #18
Super Moderator

And I do understand your point Ron, basically if a car can be run on the street legally, you consider it a street car.

If it doesn't need to idle at 2K rpm and it doesn't have slicks and open headers, it's not a track only car. Pretty much if there's tread and a yellow sticker on the license plate, it passes your test. I can see looking at things that way.

I try and determine the intent of the owner who created the car. When you removed your hood you probably weren't worried about hydrolock if you had to drive to work in heavy rain. When you stripped the car to save weight, you probably weren't keeping noise reduction in mind for the wifey, and when you installed that bottle... you probably were thinking about how many tenths you could shave off, not how fun it would be to pull on that Ferrari on the freeway.

When I bolted those 19s on my car, I wasn't thinking about how great a 30 sidewall tire would hook in the holeshot. I was thinking I'd give up some straight line traction for some cornering ability. When I pulled my timing from 34 to 24, I wasn't thinking about my trap speed, I was thinking about the 91 octane that I've committed myself to use.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:07 AM   #19
Super Moderator

For the record, I think a 10 second BB Chevelle is pretty f'n rad. Whatever it is.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:24 AM   #20
Fast & Filthy

Like I said before, I didn't strip the car to save weight. I striped it because I was getting ready to have the paint and body work done and I didn't want to pay some to do it. I just ran out of money so I just started driving it without the interior. Same goes for the hood. The old one was broken and I just don't have an extra $500 to buy a new one so I drive it without one.

I do agree with you that it's not a practical car to drive daily but I do enjoy driving it around as long as it has fuel in it. My daughters love to go for rides in it too. Once I get the paint and body work done I'll build a pump gas engine with a centrifugal blower like yours. I already have a 4bolt 454 ready to be built.