Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-15-2009, 01:44 AM   #201
I, Vettezuki

Is this Dizzie correct?

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-15-2009, 06:01 AM   #202
Power's off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Is this Dizzie correct?
Unilites SUCK
Old 01-15-2009, 09:29 AM   #203
Neanderthal

Quote:
Is this Dizzie correct?
Yep, that's the right one. Uni-lites dizzies are not my favorite.

Much better than the one you called me about last night. That one for a 351c will also fit a 385 type FORD BB 429-460. Not for SBFs.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 01-15-2009, 10:16 AM   #204
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by big2bird View Post
Unilites SUCK
I have to disagree. I ran a Unilite Comp 9000 on the Chevelle for 14 years before it broke. It was great. It finally broke the stop tab for the advance and that's when I changed to the MSD I have now. Again, with the Mallory stuff I was running a total of 36 degrees and turned 121mph on just the engine. When I installed the MSD I had to bump the timing to 43 degrees to turn the same 121mph. I'm not sure why it takes more timing but it does. The only reason I went with MSD is because the Mallory distributor I had is now almost $400. The MSD was only around $160.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:33 AM   #205
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
I have to disagree. I ran a Unilite Comp 9000 on the Chevelle for 14 years before it broke. It was great. It finally broke the stop tab for the advance and that's when I changed to the MSD I have now. Again, with the Mallory stuff I was running a total of 36 degrees and turned 121mph on just the engine. When I installed the MSD I had to bump the timing to 43 degrees to turn the same 121mph. I'm not sure why it takes more timing but it does. The only reason I went with MSD is because the Mallory distributor I had is now almost $400. The MSD was only around $160.
I don't know what the difference is, but I just checked Summit. The comp 900 is now over $500. This Unilite ( non-Comp 900) is about $270. I'll punt for now.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-15-2009, 12:08 PM   #206
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
I don't know what the difference is, but I just checked Summit. The comp 900 is now over $500. This Unilite ( non-Comp 900) is about $270. I'll punt for now.
I say just go with MSD stuff. It's less expensive that way. I have it on the Cobra as well as the Chevelle and even though I say I don't like it I haven't had any issue yet besides needing to give the Chevelle more timing. I'm running an MSD Billet distributor on both cars with the 6AL and then I also have the timing retard on the Chevelle for the nitrous. I have the stuff on the Cobra for 2 years.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:26 PM   #207
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
I say just go with MSD stuff. It's less expensive that way. I have it on the Cobra as well as the Chevelle and even though I say I don't like it I haven't had any issue yet besides needing to give the Chevelle more timing. I'm running an MSD Billet distributor on both cars with the 6AL and then I also have the timing retard on the Chevelle for the nitrous. I have the stuff on the Cobra for 2 years.
Here's what Joe was suggesting. Looks like some pretty good stuff, with a "pretty good stuff" price tag. Other than the 6AL (whcih there seems to be a couple choices), any specific recommendations for a an appropriate level of function with a little lower cost?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-15-2009, 12:37 PM   #208
Neanderthal

Quote:
Here's what Joe was suggesting. Looks like some pretty good stuff, with a "pretty good stuff" price tag. Other than the 6AL (whcih there seems to be a couple choices), any specific recommendations for a an appropriate level of function with a little lower cost?
A little question. Why do we feel we need a mulitspark box??? Hell, it only does the multi spark thing to about 2,500 rpm then goes back to a single spark after that.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 01-15-2009, 12:45 PM   #209
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
A little question. Why do we feel we need a mulitspark box??? Hell, it only does the multi spark thing to about 2,500 rpm then goes back to a single spark after that.
I don't know much about this old school ignition stuff. But, if we don't need a multispark, it frees up a little budget for perhaps one step higher Dizzie, like the one Joe pointed out as opposed to an entry level one. I'd certainly like to be done with ignition for as far below $500 as possible TCI, including wires.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-15-2009, 12:48 PM   #210
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
That's all good but it's not needed for what we are going to do with the car. We can use a 6AL instead of the BTM (which is about $150) less because we can manually set the timing to what we want. We'll be using a mix of 91 and race fuel I'm sure so we don't have to worry about detonation which is why most guys run the BTM.

We also don't need the electronic adjustments. We can just change the springs to adjust the amount of timing and when it comes in. The mechanical Billet is also about $150 less. We also don't need vacuum advance because it will not be criusing on the streets.

The coil is fine though.