Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 03-01-2009, 09:32 PM   #21
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chate View Post
I'm reading that the cobra has a 0-60 of 4.6 sec and quarter of 12.8. Isnt the 03 about the same???? rediculus

335i with a tune does 0-60 in 4.6 and 1/4 of 13.0

why is finding an awesome car so damn hard, out of these the 335i is better overall vehicle, right? Better daily drivablility, reliability, suspension, comforts etc etc etc and pricewise on the used market the 335i coupe is like 27 make it 30 with a tune and better tires and you'll be right in line with the gt500 (damn close)
The 335i would indeed be the best car for everyday use compared to a GT500. It gets far superior gas mileage, rides better, has a bigger backseat and is entertaining even stock. At our dyno day I saw one with a tuner, intake and exhaust put down 324rwhp and 345rwtq.

It's not even close hp wise to a GT500 but would be a much better daily driver in my opinion.

I'm unclear on what you're looking for though? It sounds like the budget went from 15k or less to more like 30k or less?
Old 03-01-2009, 09:43 PM   #22

Send a message via AIM to Chate

haha i got a new job (thats why i couldnt come to dyno day btw) so if i suck it up and get a loan (rather than pay cash+trade like i was initially talking about), my budget goes up to mid 20s (assuming i can get ~10 for the vette)

Its just so hard to choose a car, i want something RELIABLE but also fast/decent looking. I made a huge mistake going with a high mileage car so I feel like forking up the extra cash and getting something newer is in my best interest this time around, plus BMW has that maintanance program thing too for 4 yrs...i'm not gonna mod it, dont have money or time, i just want something cool/fun/reliable/fast to get me thru 2 more yrs of school and 1 yr of residency

Even with such an HP disadvantage, the BMW is still pretty damn quick, just barely slower than the gt500, why is that??
Old 03-01-2009, 09:58 PM   #23
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
haha i got a new job (thats why i couldnt come to dyno day btw) so if i suck it up and get a loan (rather than pay cash+trade like i was initially talking about), my budget goes up to mid 20s (assuming i can get ~10 for the vette)

Its just so hard to choose a car, i want something RELIABLE but also fast/decent looking. I made a huge mistake going with a high mileage car so I feel like forking up the extra cash and getting something newer is in my best interest this time around, plus BMW has that maintanance program thing too for 4 yrs...i'm not gonna mod it, dont have money or time, i just want something cool/fun/reliable/fast to get me thru 2 more yrs of school and 1 yr of residency

Even with such an HP disadvantage, the BMW is still pretty damn quick, just barely slower than the gt500, why is that??
It weighs 600lbs less and the times you're listing for a GT500 are slow. Realistically you can get a GT500 in the low 12's stock with a good driver. I think the record is 12.3.

I agree with you on the high mileage cars. I always look for stuff with less than 30k miles.

BMW 335i's aren't quite in the mid 20's yet, but they're close. I have seen some in the 27k range. As you can tell, obviously I love the 335i. I think it would be a fantastic all around car and should be on your short list if you can afford it.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:20 PM   #24
I, Vettezuki

Quote:

Ok, I'm gonna mess your $hit up. Why not just suck it up with what you got, sock away your extra cash and get a used GT-R upon completing your residency (assuming you still have a hard-on for the GT-R then).

Delayed gratification is an extraordinary thing. If not this, I'd suggest you follow your original impulse of sticking to cash. The older I get the more I realize toys (and you are talking about a toy) should only be paid for in cash.

I'm not being a killjoy. By all means, buy toys and have fun, but some restraint now might mean even cooler toys later. IMHO.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-02-2009, 08:01 AM   #25

Damn it ben you remind me of my dad.
But hes usually right
I would love to stick the vette if i could just get it to be emotionally stable!! I dont care about anything else as long as it runs smoothly, not even interested in mods, the damn thing just does its little shakey shakey and that reallllly pisses me off!! Its a gorgeous car, every time i look at it in the parking lot i fall in love all over again haha but then when i start it and it exhibits its freaking spazzing action...its like having a gorgeous girlfriend you KNOW has something going on behind ur back...disappointing lol

I'm trying to hold off as long as possible, and if it comes to it maybe i'll just trade for a 4cyl accord to get me thru (oh how i disgust myself right now) but desperate times call for desperate measures i guess... Life is sad.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:00 PM   #26

Wait, when i graduate i'm going to be over 50K in debt...i cant afford a GTR in those conditions!!!

Tricksy vettezuki, showing me unattainable dreams!!!

I can use student power to get a 10-15 grand loan at relatively low interest right now and get a car but getting a HUGE loan on top of my student loans will be an unattainable feat, after graduation, don'tcha think?

Ok new question of the day, Pontiac G8 GT...I see MSRP of 28,000 for the bottom rung, plus an option of 0% for 60 or 3k off msrp, PLUS there is a credit union discount of 1k.
If i take the 3K off, plus 1, my net comes to $24,000 for a brand new G8 GT.

Is my math correct? This seems like an exceptional value, with 15 grand down (my car plus cash), and a managable 9K loan i think i can make it work...AND it'll be worry free for 3 years (warranty) since its brand new!!

Vettezuki/sean/others please advise!!
Old 03-02-2009, 12:13 PM   #27
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Wait, when i graduate i'm going to be over 50K in debt...i cant afford a GTR in those conditions!!!

Tricksy vettezuki, showing me unattainable dreams!!!

I can use student power to get a 10-15 grand loan at relatively low interest right now and get a car but getting a HUGE loan on top of my student loans will be an unattainable feat, after graduation, don'tcha think?
No, because you can bank cash in the meantime and use it as a down (if you must) plus your new, I'm guessing, rather high paying job. But there is one major potential got'cha. And here I go getting all polotical and economical on you. If I know anything about economics, I'll be damned if I can see why there WON'T be massive inflation within the next couple years. That would kind of give an advantage towards buying something now on a fixed rate, lower price, and paying it off later with a devalued currency. You'd be wiser to do this with a house or something, but there is some reasoning to buying now . . . But who knows.

Quote:
Ok new question of the day, Pontiac G8 GT...I see MSRP of 28,000 for the bottom rung, plus an option of 0% for 60 or 3k off msrp, PLUS there is a credit union discount of 1k.
If i take the 3K off, plus 1, my net comes to $24,000 for a brand new G8 GT.
I saw one of these on the road the other night, and I must admit, it looks damn good. BTW, aren't there slightly used versions for under $20k?

Quote:
Vettezuki/sean/others please advise!!
Your Vette might be like a hot moody girlfriend, but the bottom line is that when the doors are shut and the lights are out . . . she bangs. Let's not forget that.

Have you tried simple dumb stuff like disconnecting and spraying electrical cleaner on all your harness contacts, including your main ECU hookup. It only takes a little smulkus to get in one of them to cause a continuity problem, which will manifest as bizarre intermittent behavior in a computer controlled car. I had this once on my injector harness.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-02-2009, 01:13 PM   #28

My bad, the g8 gt msrp is 33, the 29 is AFTER incentives Ch8=FAIL
Old 03-02-2009, 01:18 PM   #29

Next break i get, i'll try the electrical spray stuff...i was also told to get professional injector cleaning as that may be an issue.

Do you know if bad injectors or coils would throw codes? the car shows no codes, no check engine nothin
Old 03-02-2009, 03:46 PM   #30

Next Q: what exactly does a tune entail? based on when Paul took a look at my car (it was on a day that she WAS NOT shaking...figures...he mentioned that it was running rich) could the shake and bake and all the other crap possibly be fixable just by getting it tuned by someone good? Its looking like a couple hundred bucks, but if i can spend that and resurrect my Nisha, i'll be saving WAY more than buying another car (and the heartbreak of getting rid of this one)

I know, all i do is ask questions, i'm sorry, in return, when you guys get old i can tell you about ur drugs and how to get em for cheap