Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-27-2010, 10:25 PM   #31
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
You really need to get off this organic oil high. Run organic for 6 months and watch as the tar spills out of your oil pan, run synthetic for 6 months and you'll feel like you're throwing away perfectly good oil when you drain it.

Do you really think refined goo from the ground is going to work better than something that was chemically engineered in a lab for a specific purpose?

FYI, all T56 transmissions run ATF Dexron 4. I use Redline.
Oils lubricate. All refined oils are "engineered" for a purpose. No doubt the Gucci oils are great. But they're just not necessary unless you pushing continuous high temps or are too lazy to change your oil The trans runs smooth, the engine is fine and oil looks fine coming out at 3 months and it costs peanuts per quart by comparison. If I get into road racing of any kind, yes I'll go to the fully synthetic.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-27-2010, 10:37 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttle Crazy View Post
Almost all GM cars and light trucks state in the owners manual 100,000
miles for trans. service with filter, "under normal driving conditions". It also gives a 50,000 mile service interval "under severe driving conditions". If you live in California your driving conditions meet severe criteria. Here is the criteria.
• In heavy city traffic where the outside temperature regularly reaches 90°F (32°C) or higher.

• In hilly or mountainous terrain.

• When doing frequent trailer towing.

• Uses such as found in taxi, police or delivery service.
Great info thank you, can you post the direct link to this please though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttle Crazy View Post
Allison transmissions the service interval for spin on filter and fluid change is every 50,000 miles " under normal driving conditions".
Every 25,000 miles, under the same severe driving conditions mentioned above.
He's running an Allison's transmission now? With Spin on filters? Last I check Allison had a calculator to provide service intervals for specific users based on many factors. Also which Allison trans are you talking about?
Old 01-27-2010, 10:52 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
But they're just not necessary unless you pushing continuous high temps or are too lazy to change your oil
Your right Ben, oils do lubricate. How well they lubricate at start up is the difference between Mineral oil and Synthetic. You know an engine receives most of it's wear on start up, therefore the quicker your oil flows into all parts of your motor the longer life it will have. You'll also see other benefits from this, gas mileage ect. In other words your extending the life of your motor.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:04 PM   #34
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIAN View Post

He's running an Allison's transmission now? With Spin on filters? Last I check Allison had a calculator to provide service intervals for specific users based on many factors. Also which Allison trans are you talking about?
Throttle Crazy is the Assistant Service Manager at a Chevrolet dealer. That's how he knows the service intervals.

The Allison he's referring to is behind the Duramax engines. Not sure what model but I'm sure he'll respond.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:28 AM   #35
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Your right Ben, oils do lubricate. How well they lubricate at start up is the difference between Mineral oil and Synthetic.
Separate from the viscity@temp and things like TBN rating?

But yes a 5/20 is going to lubricate faster than a 15/40, that's for sure.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-28-2010, 02:40 AM   #36
Super Moderator

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Oils lubricate. All refined oils are "engineered" for a purpose. No doubt the Gucci oils are great. But they're just not necessary unless you pushing continuous high temps or are too lazy to change your oil The trans runs smooth, the engine is fine and oil looks fine coming out at 3 months and it costs peanuts per quart by comparison. If I get into road racing of any kind, yes I'll go to the fully synthetic.
Service interval for synthetic is twice as long as organic, but it does not cost twice as much for Mobil 1 including the cost of a filter. Therefore, it is cheaper. I change the oil in my Neon only every 6 months, and I go about that long for the Vette too, depending on how much I've been driving it.

Organic oil thickens up and cakes around all of the moving parts. Let's see a pic of your rockers. Mine are clean, always.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:57 AM   #37
Power's off.

Quote:
Haha your not a COMPLETE idiot but it wasn't a good idea to change the oil so soon. You may find this hard to believe but that actually creates more wear on the tranny.
I find this statement so far from the truith, I don't know where to begin.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:59 AM   #38
Power's off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedom View Post
My co-worker took her car to the local service station to get an oil change and see what else she might need. She had 46K on her car and they recommended a transmission fluid change (automatic) . I told her to go for it since she had a decent amount of miles on the car and she had never done it. I would rather change fluid more often than replace a tranny. She tells me the next day that her boyfriend thinks I am an idiot and that she did not need to change her transmission fluid until 100K. I just said he can go right ahead and do that. My questions is, that with car makes recommended oil changes at 10-15K now are some of the other intervals changing? Have oils gotten that good that the mileage intervals are going up of is this an automotive engineering feet? How often do you change your fluids?

This whole situation just got me thinking about some of these things.
I change my auto tranny fluid every 24,000 miles, or every other year. I have two friends that rebuild trannys for a living, and that is what they recommend. I'll go with their suggestions.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:46 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by big2bird View Post
I find this statement so far from the truth, I don't know where to begin.
LOL I thought the same thing when I first started out. It's even harder to explain to the older community because of course they've been doing this much longer and "know" what works for them.

Now until you find somewhere to start I won't know where to begin helping you to understand or helping make myself look more and more like an ass. I'm pretty sure that's what everyone thinks of my work here so far.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:31 AM   #40

Quote:
Sorry, this info is from a dealer only sight. No link! It is straight out of the owners manual.

I am refering to the GM service interval for the 1000 series Allison in the Silverado. Medium duty, heavy duty and motorhomes with Allison transmissions are now coming with Allisons Tran-synd synthetic fluid and the service interval is longer on the fluid but the spin on filter replacement should stay the same. The Trans-synd fluid works great. When I get a customer who does alot of heavy towing and complains of trans getting hot while pulling grades, I recomend flushing out the trans. switching to Trans-synd and we convert to the medium duty pan and filter for more fluid capacity. Customers have told me they see as much as a 40 deg. F temp decrease.