Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 08-09-2011, 10:51 PM   #31
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic03SVT View Post
There is a lot...LOT more than just engine to set the C6Z apart from the standard C6. Aluminum frame is a big one, and obviously impossible to replicate. Second, to your point about dry sump not being a big deal? Go peruse the road racing forums on vetteforums and see how many people have blown up LS3s in left hand turns on good tires. Go ahead, ill wait.

Crazy right? You wouldnt catch me dead on a track with any vette that didnt have an LS6, or a dry sump LS3/7. Just wouldnt do it, these have not been isolated incidents. They dont all blow up, but lots do. Carlos can probably weigh in here, hes probably aware of this.

C6z is so much more than a C6 with a big engine. IMHO totally worth the extra $, but if its a deal breaker, cant beat a good C6 Z51, just might want to invest in a dry sump setup.
I think a lot of guys go with the Accusump too.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 08-09-2011, 11:25 PM   #32
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
There is a lot...LOT more than just engine to set the C6Z apart from the standard C6. Aluminum frame is a big one, and obviously impossible to replicate. Second, to your point about dry sump not being a big deal? Go peruse the road racing forums on vetteforums and see how many people have blown up LS3s in left hand turns on good tires. Go ahead, ill wait.

Crazy right? You wouldnt catch me dead on a track with any vette that didnt have an LS6, or a dry sump LS3/7. Just wouldnt do it, these have not been isolated incidents. They dont all blow up, but lots do. Carlos can probably weigh in here, hes probably aware of this.

C6z is so much more than a C6 with a big engine. IMHO totally worth the extra $, but if its a deal breaker, cant beat a good C6 Z51, just might want to invest in a dry sump setup.
I never said it would match it car for car, but in seans case as its been pointed out, it could easily be put up to par for faaaaaarr less cash. And that extra amount isnt just vehicle cost, its alot more expensive per month for insurance. I'm just saying its how i would go about it.

And my comment about dry sump was all vehicles, not just vettes in general, plenty of fox guys dont run a dry sump, and neither do i.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 08-10-2011, 12:24 AM   #33
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
I never said it would match it car for car, but in seans case as its been pointed out, it could easily be put up to par for faaaaaarr less cash. And that extra amount isnt just vehicle cost, its alot more expensive per month for insurance. I'm just saying its how i would go about it.

And my comment about dry sump was all vehicles, not just vettes in general, plenty of fox guys dont run a dry sump, and neither do i.
Your point about saving cost and having something with near as much makes no difference performance for someone who is going to use it like Sean is also valid. Also, a dry sump is fine for most people, but once you start getting really serious, it becomes a real issue as Aaron pointed. Note: BADDASSC6 blew up is LS2, that's why it got rebuilt. I don't recall if it was directly a starvation issue, but I'm sure it didn't help.

My attitude is if you're going to be buying up in this range you should just consider what it is that you want to do, and hell if you have the money, what's the difference, get the baller version not the po boy's.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 08-10-2011, 01:09 AM   #34
pain's fun, hit me again

Like I said this is how i would do it. Maybe its the cheap bastard in me, or the diy gene, but i know when im shopping for a c5 i'll be passing on the z for sure.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 08-10-2011, 01:11 AM   #35

A good compromise would be a GS with the 6 speed. At least you keep the dry sump set up, and get the widebody panels, and a removable roof to boot, if thats something that you value.

Though for my money the C6Z (used or new) Is a performance bargain at its current price, and has road presence and capablities that a standard C6 just wont meet, without a massive infusion of time and money. Could you get very, very close to it? sure, but when youre next to one at the stoplight, will you think "I could have had one of those?"
Only Sean could answer that, and if he's going to be slow, he may as well look fast. C6Z for sure

As far as passing on the C5Z, as long as youre up for a trans swap, motor work, suspension changes, etc, just start with a hard top. spend the extra 3k you save on heads. (youll still be way short of a Z though, i know, i looked into it - for the difference in purchase price you cant even come close to building a comparable car, it would have been my chosen route, but is really just not an option, sure you can build a better vette out of a hard top, but the z will always be the best starting point, and reach any given point with less $, even considering the inital investment. )
Old 08-10-2011, 07:29 AM   #36
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
A good compromise would be a GS with the 6 speed. At least you keep the dry sump set up, and get the widebody panels, and a removable roof to boot, if thats something that you value.

Though for my money the C6Z (used or new) Is a performance bargain at its current price, and has road presence and capablities that a standard C6 just wont meet, without a massive infusion of time and money. Could you get very, very close to it? sure, but when youre next to one at the stoplight, will you think "I could have had one of those?"
Only Sean could answer that, and if he's going to be slow, he may as well look fast. C6Z for sure

As far as passing on the C5Z, as long as youre up for a trans swap, motor work, suspension changes, etc, just start with a hard top. spend the extra 3k you save on heads. (youll still be way short of a Z though, i know, i looked into it - for the difference in purchase price you cant even come close to building a comparable car, it would have been my chosen route, but is really just not an option, sure you can build a better vette out of a hard top, but the z will always be the best starting point, and reach any given point with less $, even considering the inital investment. )
I dont agree, I know going in that I will change everything no matter what, so higher initial cost for the z is not worth it, start with a 99 FRC and get to swappin i've done the math as well, sure maybe I know more people in the industry to make it worth while but I still dont see the need.

Stopping the world!
Old 08-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #37

I perhaps hadnt planned on swapping as much as you are, for instance, i didnt feel like sourcing and swapping a Z06 trans, or having to pony up for a set of heads, when a port on a set of 243s would get me where i ultimately wanted to be. there are also changes in the actual engine block of an LS6, not huge ones, but they are present nonetheless, though if youre dropping in an LS3/7 it would matter obviously
Old 08-10-2011, 11:06 AM   #38
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

The reason I would like a Z06 are:

1) I would like to start doing some track racing. When we went K1 racing last time (you know, when I smashed Leedom both seesions) it was so much fun. I know it's not a direct comparison, but 1/4 mile just isn't that appealing anymore. Especially given the fact that the last street legal day I went to yielded 3 runs.
2) The C6 Z06 does seemingly everything well and I wouldn't be very tempted to mod it. Probably an intake and tune only.
3) The LS7 is awesome and I don't think we'll see another 427 anytime soon. Dry sump, titanium valves, revs forever. I think it's the best N/A motor built by an American car company ever.
4) I think a Z06 will hold value substantially better in the long run than a normal C6. I'm not looking to make money off owning a car (I know better), but it was sure nice that after 4 years the Cobra was still worth so much. I guarantee you a Mustang GT would have depreciated A LOT more.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:53 PM   #39
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
I perhaps hadnt planned on swapping as much as you are, for instance, i didnt feel like sourcing and swapping a Z06 trans, or having to pony up for a set of heads, when a port on a set of 243s would get me where i ultimately wanted to be. there are also changes in the actual engine block of an LS6, not huge ones, but they are present nonetheless, though if youre dropping in an LS3/7 it would matter obviously
Im not replacing heads either, valves and valve spring changes are the only thing i would touch, so for around $400 i'd have very well ported heads that flow 300cfm and handle all the lift i need. The transmission in the z wouldnt be a comfortable point anyhow, it would come out and be cryo treated, tumbled and deburred. Suspension would likely need to be changed since lets face it, a 99 is an old car and whether its been driven or low miles means its been sitting, which isnt good for seals when you suddenly start to push the car, or its been driven hard, either way its time to go and a good time to upgrade.

Stopping the world!
Old 08-10-2011, 03:27 PM   #40
I, Vettezuki

Well, everyone is right in this thread as we have different preferences and methods, that's all. Group hug.

Overall, I'd be exactly the same as Sean now. I've done the major . . major mod of a car and it's fun, but takes a crazy amount of time and effort, which I just don't have at all anymore. That is, for a car I intended to drive regularly and use at least some for regular transportation. I'll always have hot and cold spells with project cars probably.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)