Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-25-2009, 11:14 PM   #411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
$150 for the balancing or $150 for the pistons? It's not a big deal, just working out pricing for cost benefit for maximum ROI. The place where I bought the heads has their own fully balanced, fully forged stroker kits for about $1,400. This is the absolute outer limits of what I'd even consider, but if a set of pistons and balancing run up past $500, I'd at least think about it.

If we go hi-comp NA, I'd like to go E85. It costs nearly half what 100 octane does, has about 105 octane, and has other nice attributes. Quickfuel has conversion kits for 4150 Holley carbs. I *think* E85 means we could go even a little higher than 12:1. A big cammed, high reving 13.x:1 302 in a 2,500lbs car should move.

If you would consider $1400 for a rotating assembly, why not get a used blower. I only paid $1500 for that one on ebay. And if you can't find a roots, you can pick up a centri similar to this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts...1%7C240%3A1318

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your ass?
Old 01-25-2009, 11:44 PM   #412
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedls View Post
If you would consider $1400 for a rotating assembly, why not get a used blower. I only paid $1500 for that one on ebay. And if you can't find a roots, you can pick up a centri similar to this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts...1%7C240%3A1318
My order of preference would be.

Fix 174 - Clearly best ROI for power
High Strung 302 - Cost effective fun

Depending on the cost of doing a high strung 302, I might consider other options, like a stroker, or this kit, but would shy away from this price range. Still many other things to get, including a trailer . . .

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-26-2009, 12:05 AM   #413
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
Here's a valley girdle.

I don't know Fords, but it looks to me like the block would have to be tapped for those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07gtpony View Post
Wow, you guys are throwing out some big number for horse power!!! How fast you guys want to go???? 650HP??? This is not a fat ass termi you guys are building... 450hp your going high 10s??? You guys are planing to build to much power, its almost overkill. 650hp with about the same weight your mid 9s. And any one really drive something that light with that power? Boost is nasty, when it hits, you better grab on to your nuts and keep your eyes down track. I think traction is going to be your main issuse. Anyone ever throw out the idea of a 11:1 set up with some spray?
Engines never put down as much power as you expect them to, why hold back? We can always limit the boost with a smaller pulley or by adjusting the wastegates if traction is an issue.

Don't know if I've used this example before, but when I hear about guys who want to limit hp, it reminds me of guys who ask for body building advice and start off with "I don't want to get too big." Don't worry bro, ain't gonna happen overnight! Don't hold back, we'll have enough unforseen issues limiting hp anyhow.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:09 AM   #414
Super Moderator

Ben, I'd base the solid vs hydraulic decision on the heads. If you buy some BIG heads, you'll want to spin this thing past 6500rpm for sheezy. If you go with some <200cc heads, the hyd will do fine. IMHO.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:18 AM   #415
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Ben, I'd base the solid vs hydraulic decision on the heads. If you buy some BIG heads, you'll want to spin this thing past 6500rpm for sheezy. If you go with some <200cc heads, the hyd will do fine. IMHO.
These are 195cc as cast. Glenn can port. See this post for ranges of flow numbers.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-26-2009, 08:57 AM   #416
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
$150 for the balancing or $150 for the pistons? It's not a big deal, just working out pricing for cost benefit for maximum ROI. The place where I bought the heads has their own fully balanced, fully forged stroker kits for about $1,400. This is the absolute outer limits of what I'd even consider, but if a set of pistons and balancing run up past $500, I'd at least think about it.

If we go hi-comp NA, I'd like to go E85. It costs nearly half what 100 octane does, has about 105 octane, and has other nice attributes. Quickfuel has conversion kits for 4150 Holley carbs. I *think* E85 means we could go even a little higher than 12:1. A big cammed, high reving 13.x:1 302 in a 2,500lbs car should move.
It was $150 for just the balancing. I don't remember how much my pistons were but I took a look on Summit and high compression forged ones go for $400-$650 for a set so that $1400 stroker is looking good. However, isn't it half that to fix the blower?
Old 01-26-2009, 09:36 AM   #417
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
It was $150 for just the balancing. I don't remember how much my pistons were but I took a look on Summit and high compression forged ones go for $400-$650 for a set so that $1400 stroker is looking good. However, isn't it half that to fix the blower?
The one blower shop that said they didn't have parts, never responded to my second question of "can you fix this." I'll talk to PSE later today. Clearly if the blower can be fixed for that $600 range it is by far the cheapest option (could keep current cam, no need for different intake).

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-26-2009, 10:23 AM   #418
Neanderthal

Quote:
Tunnel Ram seems to be a type of intake, not a specific model. Were you thinking this kinda thing?

Yes, that is it.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 01-26-2009, 10:25 AM   #419
Neanderthal

Quote:
Some Pics of the Heads. Click on the pics for Hi-Res.

Thoses are pretty simular to my China Chevy heads.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 01-26-2009, 10:27 AM   #420
Neanderthal

Quote:
Are you going to have Glenn blend the combustion chambers? Those sharp edges they cut for the large valves need to be cleaned up.
Hey, you trying to give me more work?
2016 Nissan Altma