Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 10-04-2010, 09:11 PM   #51
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpalmer View Post
Well, took a ride in a c6 zr1 a few months back, and then got to ride in his buddy's c6 z06. Both cars are STUPID fast compared to what I'm used to, and the instant torque of the v8 motors got me hooked. Since I can't afford a new vette (or even a used one) and since I really love the small car feel, handling, and uniqueness of my rx-7, I talked to some local v8 swapped rx-7 guys and got to beat on one, the owner even made fun of me for driving too slow at first

Long story short: I'm doing a ls1 swap in my car. The stock turbo rotary motor has been very solid for the last 25k miles, I have four full track days, 1/2 dozen autocross, 9 1/4 mile drag passes (best trap 112.xx mph, best et 13.1xx sec) and tons of hard street miles on the motor. Once it warms up, I'm on it. BUT, it's missing that instant torque... of a bigger cube N/A motor. I'm going to miss the turbo rush and wankel sound, but at the same time I will appreciate the better street manners, generally better fuel economy, and stupid torque. AND, I will be getting corner weights for before and after the swap, believe it or not, the total weight and distribution will not change enough to really notice (esp. for a street car).

Will try to have it running by xmas this year, fully sorted by summer 2011. Part out will begin after my next track day, Oct 14th at Buttonwillow. Will probably pull the motor the day after

New motor has a little cam and CNC ported heads, shooting to get 350-400 whp and 120 mph trap with low 12, mid-high 11 sec 1/4 mile performance. Car will continue to be a semi-DD and track toy as it has been for the last 5 years I've had it.

Pic of 2800 lb (yes I weighed it and it came in at 2790 w/o me in the car and 3/4 tank gas) "donor car" from last track day labor day weekend @ cal speedway:

Here's some pics of the engine & trans:

Wow Mike, really nice. That's going to be a beast
Old 10-04-2010, 09:17 PM   #52
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Whipple 2.3 (15lbs)
60lb injectors
SCT2400MAF
Accufab Single Blade Throttle Body
Head Cooling Mod
26-spline input shaft
Spec State 3+ Clutch
IRS Brace
Tune

550+whp or bust.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:22 PM   #53
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
Whipple 2.3 (15lbs)
60lb injectors
SCT2400MAF
Head Cooling Mod
26-spline input shaft
Spec State 3+ Clutch
IRS Brace
Tune

550+whp or bust.
Get some input on the clutch from the Cobra guys, especially since this is your DD, my SPEC chatters like crazy!
Old 10-04-2010, 10:04 PM   #54
Graphics B*tch

Sean does not DD the Cobra.

My next mod is looking like a Heaton on top of the mach.

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten
Old 10-04-2010, 10:10 PM   #55
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Get some input on the clutch from the Cobra guys, especially since this is your DD, my SPEC chatters like crazy!
I liked my Spec Stage 3+ until a the disc broke. I now have a Mcleod disc with the Spec pressure plate. It's not grabby as the Spec disc was but it still holds the power. The Spec takes a little while to get use to though and forget about the guys at the car wash and oil/lube places being able to pull your car in.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:27 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
Whipple 2.3 (15lbs)
60lb injectors
SCT2400MAF
Head Cooling Mod
26-spline input shaft
Spec State 3+ Clutch
IRS Brace
Tune

550+whp or bust.
You should easily see 550 out of all that. A buddy of mine did the JDM pulley, catback exhaust, upgraded intercooler and bigger resevior and tuned and he was at 480whp or more.

Boost, because sometimes atmospheric pressure just isn't enough.

"If it has tit's or tires, you can be pretty sure your going to have problems with them..."
Old 10-05-2010, 01:11 AM   #57
I, Vettezuki

Just dream'n cuz it'll be a while til I have serious play money again. But I'm think

Softening the suspension a bit on the Vette.
Forged 383 with Procharger
TR6060 Manually Shifted Automatic

A bit more of a GT and straight line monster than rougher wannabe (and not too shabby) sports car.

More likely before that will be headers, injectors and retune and related exhaust rework. That'd put what I have well into the 400s and even drop the weight a bit more to < 3,100lbs full wet.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-05-2010, 10:36 AM   #58
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Just dream'n cuz it'll be a while til I have serious play money again. But I'm think

Softening the suspension a bit on the Vette.
Forged 383 with Procharger
TR6060 Manually Shifted Automatic

A bit more of a GT and straight line monster than rougher wannabe (and not too shabby) sports car.

More likely before that will be headers, injectors and retune and related exhaust rework. That'd put what I have well into the 400s and even drop the weight a bit more to < 3,100lbs full wet.
Copy cat. :P
Old 10-05-2010, 11:03 AM   #59
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Copy cat. :P
Partially. But yours is hard as nails. I mean to soften up a lil' and make it more GT less "race car". Also, note manually shifted Auto. Anyway, just an idea, years away at best.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-05-2010, 11:50 AM   #60
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Partially. But yours is hard as nails. I mean to soften up a lil' and make it more GT less "race car". Also, note manually shifted Auto. Anyway, just an idea, years away at best.
A 383 with a procharger ain't ever gonna be smooth when you step on it, although I suppose a more tame build wouldn't be such a monster a stoplight or cruising on the freeway.