Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-19-2009, 02:57 PM   #81
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Damn. Sorry Ben, I guess my friend had his head up his ass.

These are the AWR flares, they're pretty sweet but $440 for the pair, plus shipping.

We can make one out of glass, I'll stop by this weekend to check out the bumper.

Those flares are definitely more to my liking than the off-the-shelf skirt types. You think we can make our own variant from scratch?

The car is currently at 94cobra69ss396's house getting caged. Though I'd be happy to roll out there with you if you'd like to take a look. We can also check in on how things are going and chat about other issues.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-19-2009, 03:30 PM   #82
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Those flares are definitely more to my liking than the off-the-shelf skirt types. You think we can make our own variant from scratch?

The car is currently at 94cobra69ss396's house getting caged. Though I'd be happy to roll out there with you if you'd like to take a look. We can also check in on how things are going and chat about other issues.
You're more than welcome to come by and check it out. Just let me know what day and time.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:19 AM   #83
Super Moderator

I can wait till the cage is done, no hurry on my end. I still need to tune the Vette and put it back together, just let me know when you want me to come by. It will need to be on a weekend obviously.

Laying out glass pieces is simply a matter of getting the shape that we want first. I have no experience working with foam but I imagine the way that we would need to do this would be with foam. We need to spray it out over the stock panels, and cut away at it till we get the shape that we want. From there we can cover the foam with wax, and lay out the mold. Then lay out the piece. After drying and trimming we will need to smooth it out with filler and lots of sanding, then more filler and more sanding, then primer and glaze and more sanding...

I would probably trace out the new panel over the stock fenders, cut away the stock fenders for weight and tire clearance, then glue and screw the panels in place. Then grind a groove, fill and blend. Primer, sand, glaze, sand... you get the drift.

For the front bumper, since it will be a simple nascar style nose, we can just screw sheet metal right into the factory bumper, and lay out our mold.

I'm up for whatever you want to do, but keep in mind this will take a LOT of time and a LOT of resin/ matte. Remember we're not just making new panels, but for this sort of thing we'll be making molds which will take 2 or 3 times as much glass as the panles themselves will. And to make it worse, I will only be in OC on the weekends. But since we'll have multiple people working on this it shouldn't take forever like my Vette did. We can try to use plaster to make these molds to save money but I have no experience with plaster, and I'm not sure that they'd be strong enough being as large as they would need to be. Any kindergarden teachers in the house?

To recap, this can be done, but it ain't no Saturday afternoon project using only Adam's left over resin.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:54 AM   #84
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
I can wait till the cage is done, no hurry on my end. I still need to tune the Vette and put it back together, just let me know when you want me to come by. It will need to be on a weekend obviously.

Laying out glass pieces is simply a matter of getting the shape that we want first. I have no experience working with foam but I imagine the way that we would need to do this would be with foam. We need to spray it out over the stock panels, and cut away at it till we get the shape that we want. From there we can cover the foam with wax, and lay out the mold. Then lay out the piece. After drying and trimming we will need to smooth it out with filler and lots of sanding, then more filler and more sanding, then primer and glaze and more sanding...

I would probably trace out the new panel over the stock fenders, cut away the stock fenders for weight and tire clearance, then glue and screw the panels in place. Then grind a groove, fill and blend. Primer, sand, glaze, sand... you get the drift.

For the front bumper, since it will be a simple nascar style nose, we can just screw sheet metal right into the factory bumper, and lay out our mold.

I'm up for whatever you want to do, but keep in mind this will take a LOT of time and a LOT of resin/ matte. Remember we're not just making new panels, but for this sort of thing we'll be making molds which will take 2 or 3 times as much glass as the panles themselves will. And to make it worse, I will only be in OC on the weekends. But since we'll have multiple people working on this it shouldn't take forever like my Vette did. We can try to use plaster to make these molds to save money but I have no experience with plaster, and I'm not sure that they'd be strong enough being as large as they would need to be. Any kindergarden teachers in the house?

To recap, this can be done, but it ain't no Saturday afternoon project using only Adam's left over resin.
Thank you for your realistic assessment. My brother will have a lot more time from February and is very interested in getting involved with the body & paint. Maybe he's learned some tricks from industrial design for how to do molds and stuff.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 02-06-2009, 01:44 PM   #85
Graphics B*tch

What are we planning on doing with the inside of the doors? Re-installing the originals or making a cover plate out of aluminum or something?

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten
Old 02-06-2009, 01:46 PM   #86
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedom View Post
What are we planning on doing with the inside of the doors? Re-installing the originals or making a cover plate out of aluminum or something?
We won't be reinstalling much of anything. Probably sheet metal.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 02-06-2009, 01:55 PM   #87
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
We won't be reinstalling much of anything. Probably sheet metal.
Aluminum covers are easy to make and clean up the look inside. I made some for the Chevelle and it made it look a lot better inside.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:06 PM   #88
Graphics B*tch

Quote:

I would love to learn how to work with glass. I have been wanting to make the front fenders on my truck "fit" better with the body panels or even make my own. Let me know when and where and I will be there.

290HP / 305TQ

Old 02-07-2009, 02:15 AM   #89
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedom View Post
I would love to learn how to work with glass. I have been wanting to make the front fenders on my truck "fit" better with the body panels or even make my own. Let me know when and where and I will be there.
This too is going to be a serious part of the project. We're making whole new parts. I've been chatting with my brother about how to do this correctly. It ain't trivial.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 02-07-2009, 10:14 AM   #90
Graphics B*tch

Some months back they had a show on Spike's Muscle Car where they were making flared fenders for a street track 60's mustang and they kind of did a watch and learn on the fiberglass fenders and making your own. I will try and see if I can track that episode down. They used some type of foam to get the shape they wanted and they glassed over that. The foam was easily shaped the way they wanted it.

290HP / 305TQ