Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-21-2009, 08:57 AM   #301
Fast & Filthy

Bird, a lot of us that are working on this car already have the experience needed to build the engine with the blower, me for an example. This engine with the blower is basically the same that I built for my Cobra. I also built my Chevelle which has gone as fast as 10.35 on a set of 26x8.5/14 M/T slicks so I think we can make the RX-Snake hook up on a little wider tire.

I think if we can't get the blower fixed that we should go N/A but if we can fix the blower we should definitely bolt it on.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:38 AM   #302
I, Vettezuki

Bird, that's certainly wise and prudent advice. If I were doing this by myself, or with only one other person who kinda knew what he was doing, that's certainly the method I would use. I believe this case, there's a enough manpower and knowledge to go somewhat more for the one shot one kill approach. Though I'm sure crap is gonna break and need tweaking in any case.

Since the turbos, IF we go turbo, might require additional clearancing in the engine bay I would want to do them early, so it can be done nicely as part of the body work and paint. In other words, I wouldn't want to NA have that dialed in, then switch to turbo, and find we have to bang and cut, not to mention use a different carb and headers. We have tuning tools (LM2) and resources. Anyway, I'm still looking for 174 parts. There is a blower service here in La Habra that could probably fix it, but the repair to the 174 would be more than the Fox Body TT kit, so that's not too appealing.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-21-2009, 11:41 AM   #303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
There is a blower service here in La Habra that could probably fix it, but the repair to the 174 would be more than the Fox Body TT kit, so that's not too appealing.
Funny. I just emailed them to ask about purchasing the parts.

HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your ass?
Old 01-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #304

A little inspiration. This a video of the engine I had built for my 68 GT/CS with the Holley 174 blower. This was with 8 PSI of boost, before I increased it to 12 PSI and added water/methanol.

HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your ass?
Old 01-21-2009, 11:50 AM   #305
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedls View Post
A little inspiration. This a video of the engine I had built for my 68 GT/CS with the Holley 174 blower. This was with 8 PSI of boost, before I increased it to 12 PSI and added water/methanol.
Do you have the dyno sheet from this session? Is this the same cam or equivalent to what's in the 306 Ben has?
Old 01-21-2009, 11:56 AM   #306
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedls View Post

Now that's what I'm talking about. Fix the 174 and be done. Simple is always the best. KISS!!!!!
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 01-21-2009, 12:15 PM   #307

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
Do you have the dyno sheet from this session? Is this the same cam or equivalent to what's in the 306 Ben has?
I took the raw numbers off the dyno sheet and put them in this graph. The cam has .510/. 534 inch lift, 222/232 degree duration @ .050. I don't know what the specs are for the cam in the 306, but it was milder than this one.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Dyno Run.pdf (420.6 KB, 4 views)

Old 01-21-2009, 12:26 PM   #308

Quote:
The idea is to be bad ass on a budget and interesting. So probably Blow Through Carb instead of TBI. She'll be a trailer queen so it's okay to be a bit of a bitch.

As for turbo kits, I was looking at one of the dumb cheap eBay Fox Body Turbo Kits. Let me get the link . . .

Ah here it is. Tel me what you see good and bad. We'll deal with the fitment. Our displacement is 5L. Considering this car will be well below 3,000lbs race weight, probably something on the order of 500WHP is plenty.
OOOHHHH SWEET LAWD!!! dont buy that kit man.........jesus those are baby turbo's id say garrett GT28's at best.....in other words they are stock evo turbo's my friend. that kit is gonna give u the image and feel of a manly turbo because the exhaust side is way to big for that intake side....so it will give you lag and kick in with a punch but you arent gonna gain much from it, because the intake side is so small.

you best bet for finding a cheap turbo would be go to some local distibutor for garrett that will just sell you the basic snail set up ask for 2 GT3071R, or 2 GT3271R, or 2 GT3582......

i think i might be able to get a starion guy to make intake pipes...and maybe exhaust if need be but i havent talked to him in ages.

**Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car
**Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car
**Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall
**Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:44 PM   #309
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by st-evo-9*corn fed-8urvet* View Post
OOOHHHH SWEET LAWD!!! dont buy that kit man.........jesus those are baby turbo's id say garrett GT28's at best.....in other words they are stock evo turbo's my friend. that kit is gonna give u the image and feel of a manly turbo because the exhaust side is way to big for that intake side....so it will give you lag and kick in with a punch but you arent gonna gain much from it, because the intake side is so small.

you best bet for finding a cheap turbo would be go to some local distibutor for garrett that will just sell you the basic snail set up ask for 2 GT3071R, or 2 GT3271R, or 2 GT3582......

i think i might be able to get a starion guy to make intake pipes...and maybe exhaust if need be but i havent talked to him in ages.
Thanks for the info. I really am hoping to get the 174 working, for simplicity, power, cost. But turbos are the siren song of the deep. Plus it would give us some rice appeal. We'll see what this blower service has to say.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #310
Neanderthal

Quote:
But turbos are the siren song of the deep. Plus it would give us some rice appeal.
Siren Song?????????????
This time I do NOT want the drugs you are taking. Turbos are a PAIN in the ASS.

But whatever you decide to do I'll be here to watch.
2016 Nissan Altma