Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 03-08-2011, 11:46 AM   #11
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
Ehh, quite a few people on bradbarnett.net are getting them at MSRP. You just have to find a dealer that isn't crooked.
Where are those dealers located? Could be a local market thing.

Any head to head with current C6?

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-08-2011, 02:18 PM   #12

One of Ford's selling points with the new BOSS 302 is that many of the parts on the car won't be available via catalog and will we unique to the car. Although the actual peak tq ratings are lower than the stock 5.0 the engine has different heads, cams and intake that allows the engine to rev to 7500rpm with peak power at 7400rpm. What I think is the coolest feature is the "red" key option. The dealer can burn in the PCM a tune that is the same as the track only version of the car that is enabled by using a red colored key. This "red key" calibration will cause the engine to have that lumpy cammed idle and more aggressive power delivery.

Bob

2003 Honda Accord EX
1973 Datsun 240Z

Old 03-08-2011, 07:25 PM   #13

It is a beautiful car but I remember at the L.A. Auto Show they had one on the dyno and it was a very unimpressive presentation. What can they show you on a dyno that doesn't show you hp numbers? Basically it was to show off the exhaust note but to me it sounded like a stock car and I heard more engine noise than exhaust noise. But speed channel had a 1hour show on this car and that was very impressing. I bet it is a monster on the track. Just needs to shed some weight.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:33 PM   #14
I, Vettezuki

Little OT, I'm still wonder'n if Ford is gonna do a light weight Mustang, IRS, and Turbo V6. Now that would start to seriuosly peak my interest.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-08-2011, 07:41 PM   #15

Mot gettin any lighter, realistically.
I mean, we're talking a FR 2+2 with a v8 upfront and all the modern amenities and safety equipment. There isnt much that can realitically be done to slim it down, short of incredibly expensive materials/processes that would move it out of its current market.
The days of the 3200lb four seat v8 FR car are gone imo. Look at the M3. Historically lightweight, even that car is up at 3704 with a carbon fiber roof and tons of carbon in the structure.
With the press of CAFE standards and such they're already doing all they can to keep weight down, im sure. Im frankly shocked they managed 3600 lbs with all that they have in them anymore. The only way to drop weight further is probably to start losing content and luxury/convenience features, and im not convinced thats the way to go. If you decide you want a 3200 lb track car you have to look around at existing options - corvettes and fox mustangs
Sad but true.

(as an aside, why does it need to shed weight? its still brutally fast on a track, and it makes few compromises. Its not meant to be an all-out track car, and it flat flies at its current weight. Look at the GTR. Lord knows i hate that damn car, but its fat, and fast. I realize all the benefits of light cars ( hence the Z ) but at the same time, is that really a fair criticism? Fast car is a fast car, however it arrives at that, and the fewer compromises to get there, the better, no? )
Old 03-08-2011, 08:11 PM   #16
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Boss:
ACCELERATION TO MPH
0-30 1.6 sec
0-40 2.3
0-50 3.1
0-60 4.0
0-70 5.0
0-80 6.2
0-90 7.6
0-100 9.2
PASSING, 45-65 MPH 1.6
QUARTER MILE 12.3 sec @ 115.8 mph
BRAKING, 60-0 MPH 108 ft
LATERAL ACCELERATION 0.98 g (avg)
MT FIGURE EIGHT 24.7 sec @ 0.78 g (avg)
CURB WEIGHT 3621

GT500:
ACCELERATION TO MPH
0-30 1.6 sec
0-40 2.3
0-50 3.1
0-60 4.1
0-70 5.1
0-80 6.3
0-90 7.7
0-100 9.2
PASSING, 45-65 MPH 2.0
QUARTER MILE 12.4 sec @ 115.8 mph
BRAKING, 60-0 MPH 104 ft
LATERAL ACCELERATION 1.01 g (avg)
MT FIGURE EIGHT 24.0 sec @ 0.82 g (avg)
CURB WEIGHT 3801

I know it's not at the same track on the same day, but the results are not what I would expect. Somehow the Boss is quicker in the quarter mile and runs the same mph as a GT500 even though it's down 106hp. I know it weighs 180lbs more , but still. Also, the GT500 apparently brakes better and is quicker around the figure eight track. It's just strange.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:17 PM   #17
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic03SVT View Post
I mean, we're talking a FR 2+2 with a v8 upfront and all the modern amenities and safety equipment. There isnt much that can realitically be done to slim it down, short of incredibly expensive materials/processes that would move it out of its current market.
The days of the 3200lb four seat v8 FR car are gone imo. Look at the M3. Historically lightweight, even that car is up at 3704 with a carbon fiber roof and tons of carbon in the structure.
With the press of CAFE standards and such they're already doing all they can to keep weight down, im sure. Im frankly shocked they managed 3600 lbs with all that they have in them anymore. The only way to drop weight further is probably to start losing content and luxury/convenience features, and im not convinced thats the way to go. If you decide you want a 3200 lb track car you have to look around at existing options - corvettes and fox mustangs
Sad but true.

(as an aside, why does it need to shed weight? its still brutally fast on a track, and it makes few compromises. Its not meant to be an all-out track car, and it flat flies at its current weight. Look at the GTR. Lord knows i hate that damn car, but its fat, and fast. I realize all the benefits of light cars ( hence the Z ) but at the same time, is that really a fair criticism? Fast car is a fast car, however it arrives at that, and the fewer compromises to get there, the better, no? )
Agreed. After I read the latest Motor Trend comparison where the new GTR had a shorter stopping distance, and also beat a loaded Z06 in the 1/4 mile and around a track, I'm not so sure it matters.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz1G4Z1XU24
Old 03-08-2011, 08:22 PM   #18
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic03SVT View Post
Sad but true.

Weight reduction changes handling feel in a way that nothing else can. It's not just about speed, but "feel". All your points are valid.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #19
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
Boss:
ACCELERATION TO MPH
0-30 1.6 sec
0-40 2.3
0-50 3.1
0-60 4.0
0-70 5.0
0-80 6.2
0-90 7.6
0-100 9.2
PASSING, 45-65 MPH 1.6
QUARTER MILE 12.3 sec @ 115.8 mph
BRAKING, 60-0 MPH 108 ft
LATERAL ACCELERATION 0.98 g (avg)
MT FIGURE EIGHT 24.7 sec @ 0.78 g (avg)
CURB WEIGHT 3621

GT500:
ACCELERATION TO MPH
0-30 1.6 sec
0-40 2.3
0-50 3.1
0-60 4.1
0-70 5.1
0-80 6.3
0-90 7.7
0-100 9.2
PASSING, 45-65 MPH 2.0
QUARTER MILE 12.4 sec @ 115.8 mph
BRAKING, 60-0 MPH 104 ft
LATERAL ACCELERATION 1.01 g (avg)
MT FIGURE EIGHT 24.0 sec @ 0.82 g (avg)
CURB WEIGHT 3801

I know it's not at the same track on the same day, but the results are not what I would expect. Somehow the Boss is quicker in the quarter mile and runs the same mph as a GT500 even though it's down 106hp. I know it weighs 180lbs more , but still. Also, the GT500 apparently brakes better and is quicker around the figure eight track. It's just strange.
Statistically insignificant. Can't really draw any conclusion from that other than that they're in the same league.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-08-2011, 09:21 PM   #20
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Statistically insignificant. Can't really draw any conclusion from that other than that they're in the same league.
They shouldn't be though is the problem. Why is a 444hp car and a 550hp car trapping the same mph?