Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 07-22-2012, 11:23 AM   #1

Default CTS-V... Looking

So I am expecting my first kid, pretty much anytime now. I am looking for something with 4 doors to easily accommodate a childs seat and such. I can't force myself to get a normal everyday grocery getter. I love having a powerful car. So I am looking at a first generation 04-07 CTS-v. I am hoping to find an 06/07 for the upgraded diff but its not a necessity. I know there are a few of you who have these years of cars. I love either of the LS blocks in it, and that tremec t-56 is pretty bullet resistant. I have a few questions. How many have higher mileage CTS-Vs? Most of the ones I am finding in these years are about 70,000. As far as the motor goes, I'm not really worried about that, the LS block is, without question, one of the best engines ever put into a car from the factory. The issues I am concerned with are differential, clutch, and motor mounts. Are there any immediate issues I should be concerned with?

I found one that seems to have a clean Carfax, but the color and wheels are not really to my liking at all. Though, it does have a supercharger on it. I'm kind of leery about that because of tuning and such.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...26190270&Log=0

The Race Car lol: 2004 Cadillac CTS-V... With things.

Better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #2

That is alot of money for an 04.

The things that will need to be checked are the motor mounts, and rear diff bushing. You can buy both aftermarket ones for less then 200$ I've swapped my motor mounts out for solid mounts because i kept breaking even the upgraded ones but i put down more power then stock..

The Stock clutch is fine if they didn't drop the clutch all the time (its hard to do without the upgraded axles because you will just get wheel hop) I'm still on my stock clutch with a little over 80K miles on it. And im pushing over 500 at the wheels.

For me If you are set on the CTS-V only look at 2006 and up. The diff is a huge pain in the ass.
1988 Trooper II SAS
1986 TrooperII (No Rear)
1988 Impulse (dead)
1983 K20
Old 07-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #3

Have you looked at the G8 GT & GXP's. Both are fast 4 doors and have just as much support if not more then the first gen cts-v.
1988 Trooper II SAS
1986 TrooperII (No Rear)
1988 Impulse (dead)
1983 K20
Old 07-22-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
That's Mr. Bitch to you.

Want to buy an sts-v?

2012 Sand Storm (Toy Hauler)
2008 Cadillac STS-V (The Car)
2008 2500 HD Silverado (The Work Truck)
2008 Honda TRX400 (Her Bike)
2006 Honda TRX450R (The Bike)
2005 Mazda 3 2.3L (Her Car)
2003 2500 HD Duramax (The Truck)

P.S. Fuck Apple.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackax View Post
Have you looked at the G8 GT & GXP's. Both are fast 4 doors and have just as much support if not more then the first gen cts-v.
Yea but I can't seem to locate a G8 GXP for less than like $30k which is more than I want to spend now and thats If you can even find one. There werent many made. The G8 GT would be nice but I would prefer the LS3 in the GXP. The one selling point I love is that the CTS-V has the 6 speed. I love manual transmission cars so that also makes me not want to get the G8 GT since as far as I know they were only offered in an Automatic.

I'll take into account the Motor mounts and diff bushings if I do end up getting a CTS-v. I did the solid motor and trans mounts in the cobalt. What have you done to yours to get to 500whp? I was thinking an intake, CA legal headers, cam, head work, and I have tuning software so it would have a custom HPtune on it. I was thinking that would at least get me close to 500hp. If the tax returns next year are generous maybe a new lower end, supercharger, and a new diff/axel but that would be like a $10k budget for next year if I wanted to go that far with it.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Want to buy an sts-v?
4.4l Supercharged V8 right? But its an automatic only as I recall as well. I havent done as much research into an STS-v but the 2 big draws in the CTS-v for me were the LS motors and the manual trans. If the price is right on the STS-v I would think about it but the STS is also more money in general than the CTS-v. I can still tune the 4.4 northstar though so if I could find one in good shape for a decent price I would definitely think about scooping one up.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryridesmotox View Post
Yea but I can't seem to locate a G8 GXP for less than like $30k which is more than I want to spend now and thats If you can even find one. There werent many made. The G8 GT would be nice but I would prefer the LS3 in the GXP. The one selling point I love is that the CTS-V has the 6 speed. I love manual transmission cars so that also makes me not want to get the G8 GT since as far as I know they were only offered in an Automatic.

I'll take into account the Motor mounts and diff bushings if I do end up getting a CTS-v. I did the solid motor and trans mounts in the cobalt. What have you done to yours to get to 500whp? I was thinking an intake, CA legal headers, cam, head work, and I have tuning software so it would have a custom HPtune on it. I was thinking that would at least get me close to 500hp. If the tax returns next year are generous maybe a new lower end, supercharger, and a new diff/axel but that would be like a $10k budget for next year if I wanted to go that far with it.
They don't make CA legal headers sadly. Stock the car puts down 340 wrhp.

If you are gonna put money in to the motor just get LS3 head's (only if you get an 06, 07) They will open up to more intakes, superchargers and what not in the long run. They make 2 diff upgrades (ford 9 and for 8.8, 4k to 3k in price) but all you really need it axles 400$. Also change out the flywheel the whole clutch flywheel combo is like 60 pounds.

Huge downside to the car is the lack of wheel options.
1988 Trooper II SAS
1986 TrooperII (No Rear)
1988 Impulse (dead)
1983 K20
Old 07-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #8

Quote:
They don't make CA legal headers sadly. Stock the car puts down 340 wrhp.

If you are gonna put money in to the motor just get LS3 head's (only if you get an 06, 07) They will open up to more intakes, superchargers and what not in the long run. They make 2 diff upgrades (ford 9 and for 8.8, 4k to 3k in price) but all you really need it axles 400$. Also change out the flywheel the whole clutch flywheel combo is like 60 pounds.

Huge downside to the car is the lack of wheel options.
Really? That is lame, I guess I'm just gonna have to take of the stock Exhaust Manifolds with care and run long tubes then, oh darn. I was reading about the 8.8 upgrade. A family member of mine owns a junkyard in Idaho so maybe I can scam a few from him. I'll let you know if you are interested. As far as the clutch goes, I heard the Z06 clutch is a good upgrade but if you are getting 500whp on the stocker that is enough for me with a babyseat in the back... plus saving a few lbs of rotational mass savings in the drivetrain has a big effect on things.

I already deal with the wheels on the Cobalt SS. I like the looks of the stock wheels on the CTS-v just fine. I just will powder coat them or something in order to get the color to my liking.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryridesmotox View Post
Really? That is lame, I guess I'm just gonna have to take of the stock Exhaust Manifolds with care and run long tubes then, oh darn. I was reading about the 8.8 upgrade. A family member of mine owns a junkyard in Idaho so maybe I can scam a few from him. I'll let you know if you are interested. As far as the clutch goes, I heard the Z06 clutch is a good upgrade but if you are getting 500whp on the stocker that is enough for me with a babyseat in the back... plus saving a few lbs of rotational mass savings in the drivetrain has a big effect on things.

I already deal with the wheels on the Cobalt SS. I like the looks of the stock wheels on the CTS-v just fine. I just will powder coat them or something in order to get the color to my liking.
The LS7 clutch is great but not at my power level and the level I want to get to.

I Wanna get the LS9 clutch conversion kit (damn gm hate to change the bolt pattern.)
1988 Trooper II SAS
1986 TrooperII (No Rear)
1988 Impulse (dead)
1983 K20
Old 07-22-2012, 06:59 PM   #10

Quote:
The LS7 clutch is great but not at my power level and the level I want to get to.

I Wanna get the LS9 clutch conversion kit (damn gm hate to change the bolt pattern.)
You are making too much power for the LS7 clutch or not enough? I thought the LS7 clutch was good to like 700whp or somewhere in there. I could be totally wrong though.