Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-20-2009, 07:51 AM   #281
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
I thought the turbos on my buddies GTO were small too but he put down 550rwhp. Also, the guy he bought the kit off of made 630rwhp with a 6.0 that was built more than my buddies 5.7.

Ben, it looks like it might fit as long as there is enough room in front of the engine. Those kits put one of the pipes across the front of the motor which might not fit. I could measure the Cobra and then the RX-Snake to see how they compare.
When you get a chance, do some measuring and educated guessing. I'm certainly intrigued by this possibility if the blower doesn't work.

Adam, those are 60 Trim T3/T4 Turbos according to the Ebay ad. Not entirely sure what that means for flow, but keep in mind the upper limit for the block, with main support is about 650 BHP. If we go the turbo route and since this is now a trailer queen I'd seriously consider setting it up for E85. Turbos love that stuff and with the tuning it makes possible, I'm sure we could make all the power the block could handle. Also, they'll spool nice and fast.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-20-2009, 09:10 AM   #282
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
When you get a chance, do some measuring and educated guessing. I'm certainly intrigued by this possibility if the blower doesn't work.
Okay, this is what we have. The Cobra is 35" from the firewall to the front of the radiator and 33.5" from strut tower to strut tower. The RX is 35" from the firewall to the top mount of the radiator support and 30" to the bottom mount and 33" from strut tower to strut tower. However, I think we could move the radiator forward (we have to make our own mounts anyways for a new radiator) and we would then have enough room.

While I was at it I also measured the axle tubes on the Explorer. They are 20" for the left side and 17" for the right. However, according to Grannys Speed Shop their torque arm kit works for either the Mustang or Explorer 8.8 so we should be able to put one in if that's what you want to do.

'86-'91 RX-7 TA/SA 8.8 Basic Kit includes...
...Torque arm assembly (Mustang or Explorer 8.8)
...Torque arm rear anchor plate
...(5) grade 8 rear cover flange bolts
...Torque arm front yoke / driveline loop assembly
...(2) rubber chassis isolator bushing sets
...(4) Delrin T/A nose bushings
...(2) lower link front bracket assemblies
...(4) lower link front bracket back-up plates w/ (16) bolts/nuts
...(2) lower link rear bracket sets (weld-on)
...(2) lower shock adapter bushings
...watts linkage center pivot assembly (weld-on)
...watts linkage upper/left chassis bracket
...watts linkage lower/right chassis bracket
............................package price...$965.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:52 PM   #283
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Okay, this is what we have. The Cobra is 35" from the firewall to the front of the radiator and 33.5" from strut tower to strut tower. The RX is 35" from the firewall to the top mount of the radiator support and 30" to the bottom mount and 33" from strut tower to strut tower. However, I think we could move the radiator forward (we have to make our own mounts anyways for a new radiator) and we would then have enough room.

While I was at it I also measured the axle tubes on the Explorer. They are 20" for the left side and 17" for the right. However, according to Grannys Speed Shop their torque arm kit works for either the Mustang or Explorer 8.8 so we should be able to put one in if that's what you want to do.

'86-'91 RX-7 TA/SA 8.8 Basic Kit includes...
...Torque arm assembly (Mustang or Explorer 8.8)
...Torque arm rear anchor plate
...(5) grade 8 rear cover flange bolts
...Torque arm front yoke / driveline loop assembly
...(2) rubber chassis isolator bushing sets
...(4) Delrin T/A nose bushings
...(2) lower link front bracket assemblies
...(4) lower link front bracket back-up plates w/ (16) bolts/nuts
...(2) lower link rear bracket sets (weld-on)
...(2) lower shock adapter bushings
...watts linkage center pivot assembly (weld-on)
...watts linkage upper/left chassis bracket
...watts linkage lower/right chassis bracket
............................package price...$965.
Okily-dokily, if the 174 don't work, we're going TT. No guts, no glory.

I'm still mulling over diff options.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-20-2009, 02:33 PM   #284
Neanderthal

Quote:
Okily-dokily, if the 174 don't work, we're going TT. No guts, no glory.

I'm still mulling over diff options.
Turbos---are you sure you want to go that way?? Seems like a lot of work to do what a bolt on or belt driven super charger can do more simply. Turbos that I have had to deal with over the years were ALWAYS a pain in the ass.

My Dad has had a Vortec on his truck for over 15 years and it has NEVER needed any work!!!!!!!
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 01-20-2009, 02:38 PM   #285

Quote:
Not entirely sure what that means for flow, but keep in mind the upper limit for the block, with main support is about 650 BHP.

If you plan on pushing that block to 650 HP, you should probably invest in a valley girdle as well.

HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your ass?
Old 01-20-2009, 02:45 PM   #286
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedls View Post
If you plan on pushing that block to 650 HP, you should probably invest in a valley girdle as well.
I've read in Muscle Mustang and Fast Ford that the valley is actually the weakest link in the block. I don't have either on the Cobra but I'm only pushing around 500hp. Although it is also a daily driver and does see the track.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:45 PM   #287
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedls View Post
These bits a are a little new to me. Troy mentioned a "main support" and that it's necessarry to safely push to 650BHP. Is a "main support" the same thing as a valley girdle?

Overall, I'm hoping we can fix the 174, it'll be plenty of power for hooliganism and rather cheaper overall. However, the idea of a TT is kind of exciting, so if the 174 doesn't work it'll be fun. Running E85 with even a pretty moderate TT setup, pushing 650BHP out of the 302 with the new heads shouldn't be that difficult. And then, boys and girls, we have a bit of a beast on our hands.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-20-2009, 02:50 PM   #288
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
Turbos---are you sure you want to go that way?? Seems like a lot of work to do what a bolt on or belt driven super charger can do more simply. Turbos that I have had to deal with over the years were ALWAYS a pain in the ass.

My Dad has had a Vortec on his truck for over 15 years and it has NEVER needed any work!!!!!!!
Turbos make a really cool sound and they look neat. The kids will love it and it's a bit of a crossover back into "import" thinking. I don't want to fully tip my hand, but there is a method to my madness.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #289
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
These bits a are a little new to me. Troy mentioned a "main support" and that it's necessarry to safely push to 650BHP. Is a "main support" the same thing as a valley girdle?

Overall, I'm hoping we can fix the 174, it'll be plenty of power for hooliganism and rather cheaper overall. However, the idea of a TT is kind of exciting, so if the 174 doesn't work it'll be fun. Running E85 with even a pretty moderate TT setup, pushing 650BHP out of the 302 with the new heads shouldn't be that difficult. And then, boys and girls, we have a bit of a beast on our hands.
The main support and the valley girdle are two different things. The main support ties all the main caps together. The valley girdle is like a truss that stiffens the valley to help keep the block from flexing.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:57 PM   #290
Neanderthal

Quote:
The main support and the valley girdle are two different things. The main support ties all the main caps together. The valley girdle is like a truss that stiffens the valley to help keep the block from flexing.
Right on.
2016 Nissan Altma