Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 02-16-2010, 03:49 PM   #1

Default Repro ZL1

I wouldn't mind installing one of these (if I had the money) in something.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/11/02/l...oming-from-gm/

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 Honda Accord EX
1973 Datsun 240Z

Old 02-16-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
Super Moderator

I'll take the short block cheaper ZZ version and go with some aftermarket H&C.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:58 PM   #3

But the ZL1 has an aluminum block and weighs 100lbs less than the ZZ which has a cast iron block. In either case, its just a fantasy for me.

Bob

2003 Honda Accord EX
1973 Datsun 240Z

Old 02-17-2010, 12:58 AM   #4
Super Moderator

OIC, I was under the impression that the new ZZ was also an AL version without the rest of the original specs. Since they're only making 427, it would probably be more cost effective to go with an aftermarket block if you didn't care about having a ZL1.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:01 PM   #5

IIRC, they (GM) were only going to build 427 of the new all aluminum ZL-1's. Just the collector value alone would make it a plus. On the flip side, the GM aluminum BB's didn't appear to be all that tough- Right after they were released in '69, there were lots of valve train failure problems. Maybe they fixed the weak points in the new version.

( I'd still like to have one. Ol' Red would feel right at home!)
Old 02-18-2010, 04:38 PM   #6

Aluminum Big Block Chevy worked well in the CamAm series with McLaren and Lola using them in 1500lbs cars with over 700hp with the pipes of the Hillborn Injectors sticking out. Then Porsche came along with their 917/30 which had a 1500hp flat 12 in qualifying trim and won every race in 1973. I dreamed of getting a ride in one of those 917/30 that were capable of going over 250mph with 1hp per pound when I was a kid. I can only imagine what kind of cars we would have today in a racing series that the rules basically was that the car have two seats and body work covering the wheels and everything else unlimited.

Bob

2003 Honda Accord EX
1973 Datsun 240Z

Old 02-19-2010, 01:01 AM   #7
I, Vettezuki

I'm 99% sure they did a run of these years back. Heck I think I saw one in a C3 at Guldstrand's when I was there once.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 02-19-2010, 01:53 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
I'm 99% sure they did a run of these years back. Heck I think I saw one in a C3 at Guldstrand's when I was there once.
I think there were a couple production C3s that came with the ZL1, but mainly they were in the Camaros.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:54 AM   #9
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAT View Post
IIRC, they (GM) were only going to build 427 of the new all aluminum ZL-1's. Just the collector value alone would make it a plus. On the flip side, the GM aluminum BB's didn't appear to be all that tough- Right after they were released in '69, there were lots of valve train failure problems. Maybe they fixed the weak points in the new version.

( I'd still like to have one. Ol' Red would feel right at home!)
During that period of time 65 thru 72 we had a lot of problems with the BB Chevy valve trains. We broke rockers and bent push rods all the time. Finally figured it out by 73. It was valve springs and rocker geometry that had to be figured correctly. Remember back then we didn't know shit about that.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 02-19-2010, 01:55 AM   #10
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
I think there were a couple production C3s that came with the ZL1, but mainly they were in the Camaros.
Corvette --Just two. Only one left original.

Camaros--- 50 in the first run, 19 in the second. (this from memory, I could be off a car or two).

I used to have EVERY Vin number for all 69 cars.
2016 Nissan Altma