Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 06-30-2011, 09:27 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Diesel Fumes v. Gas Fumes

Before you come back with 2nd hand smoke is a health concern, remember that you drive a big ass turbo diesel.

...DPF delete.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:38 AM   #2
pain's fun, hit me again

Are you really going to throw out that uneducated "hippie" response?

Diesel smoke is NO WHERE near as hazardous as the fumes let off by gasoline vehicles, even with that massive cloud of black smoke. Its no different than the fumes you smell when fueling up your car at a gas station. Actually it is since gasoline fumes are many times more carcinogenic than diesel fuel.

Secondly it wasnt a case of "if" it was illegal. This is an all suite hotel, no smoking rooms at all. Plus in nevada pot is very illegal, as it should be. Alcohol is different in many ways since if I dont want to partake in your crap, I dont have to, but if someone is burning it up in public thats something i have to deal with, i feel the same way about cigarettes, and that they shouldnt smoke in public.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stopping the world!
Old 06-30-2011, 09:49 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Diesel fumes settle lower, and are worse for humans. Diesel fumes are more likely to cause lung disease. Gas fumes are worse for the ozone. This is an educated response.

Since smoking in the hotel was banned, you should have complained to management. Also, I doubt legislation would have stopped these guys from fuming up your balcony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
Are you really going to throw out that uneducated "hippie" response?

Diesel smoke is NO WHERE near as hazardous as the fumes let off by gasoline vehicles, even with that massive cloud of black smoke. Its no different than the fumes you smell when fueling up your car at a gas station. Actually it is since gasoline fumes are many times more carcinogenic than diesel fuel.

Secondly it wasnt a case of "if" it was illegal. This is an all suite hotel, no smoking rooms at all. Plus in nevada pot is very illegal, as it should be. Alcohol is different in many ways since if I dont want to partake in your crap, I dont have to, but if someone is burning it up in public thats something i have to deal with, i feel the same way about cigarettes, and that they shouldnt smoke in public.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:59 AM   #4
pain's fun, hit me again

Complaints were made, but making it legal WILL make it things worse.

And here is where you are wrong about diesels. This article came long before the days of a dpf filter. Which even then put diesels at an advantage over gas engines, in the good ol' days where a dump truck and school bus smoked even more than my truck does now. As those engines make in excessive of 650hp

Gasoline vs. Diesel

It turns out that gasoline is more volatile than diesel, not because of what its base consists of, but because of the additives it contains. In addition, vehicles that use diesel tend to be more fuel-efficient and produce less greenhouse gases. In that respect, diesel is more environmentally friendly. Diesel actually produces 15% more in greenhouse gases than gasoline when compared by the litre rather than the gallon. Yet it is through the 20-40% improvement in fuel economy over gasoline that offsets the higher emissions per litre. In actuality, the carbon dioxide emissions are considerably less than gasoline, but diesel does contain 2,778 grams of carbon per gallon, whereas gasoline contains 2,421 grams per gallon. But, again, it is the fuel economy of diesel that accounts for the smaller rate of carbon emissions.

Then again, diesel fuel contains larger quantities of sulfur. The United States has what is considered to be the dirtiest diesel, but as of June 1, 2010 this is going to be different. U.S. diesel fuel has a lower measure of ignition quality. This means that when it is cold outside, ignition performance is poor and can result in higher emissions.

But, the sulfur in the diesel that is emitted during cold ignitions and long engine idling is still harmful to the environment because the sulfurs prevent the control of diesel particulate emissions through diesel particulate filters. This is changing, though, since new advanced technologies such as nitrogen oxide absorbers are being developed to reduce these emissions.

As for gasoline, it is the non-aliphatic hydrocarbons as well as carcinogenic additives that avoid engine-knocking that threaten the public's health and the environment. This exposure happens in the case of gasoline leaks and then, of course, there are the carbon emissions we hear a lot about. Leaks occur when trucks begin leaking the gasoline they are carrying, storage containers are not stored properly, and from motor vehicle leakage. The harmful additives in gasoline can get into groundwater and contaminate public water supplies.

However, Dieselization is becoming a more common use of diesel as a fuel in motor vehicles, although it is determined that both diesel and gasoline have harmful effects on the environment. When we look at the carbon emissions of both, we find that diesel will emit more per gallon (or litre), but when you look at how much you have to fill the fuel tank with diesel versus how much you have to fill with gasoline, you will find that the percentage of emissions is offset for diesel, which can be friendlier on the pocketbook. On the other hand, sulfur is emitted by diesel and diesel does not perform as well in cold weather as gasoline, so until 2010 when diesel is cleaned up, gasoline may be slightly more environmentally friendly than diesel in respect to the emissions from automobiles. As for ground contamination, diesel has an edge over gasoline in keeping our world clean.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stopping the world!
Old 06-30-2011, 10:07 AM   #5
Super Moderator

That article doesn't go against what I said, it just leaves out part of what I said. Like I said, gas fumes are worse for the ozone, but... diesel fumes settle lower and for that reason, are more harmful to humans. And more likely to cause lung disease.

Yes, I've made the argument before too that diesels are more efficient than gas engines and for doing the same work, they pollute less. But, they still settle lower. Watch that black smoke coming out of the smoke stacks, it doesn't go very far.

And yes, I love diesel engines. Just saying...
Old 06-30-2011, 11:07 AM   #6
pain's fun, hit me again

http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/emissions.html

I'll be the first to admit i didnt read it all since i am at work but i'll take a few quotes directly from the article, which mentions dpf filter which means its relatively new.

" Gasoline PM strongly active for DNA damage and for chromosomal damage • Diesel PM strongly active for DNA damage and weakly active for chromosomal damage • Gasoline SVOC strongly active for DNA damage and chromosomal damage • Diesel SVOC inactive or weakly active for DNA damage or chromosomal damage"

Source: In Vitro Genotoxicity of Gasoline and Diesel Engine Vehicle Exhaust Particulate and Semi-Volatile Organic Compound Materials, L Liu, M Keane, M Cui, M Ensell, W Miller, K Kashon, T Ong, W Wallace; National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; DEER Conference, August 2002

Mammalian cell genotoxicity at 30 degrees F:

"• Gasoline PM strongly active for DNA damage and for chromosomal damage • Diesel PM weakly active for DNA damage and for chromosomal damage • Gasoline SVOC weakly active for DNA damage; strongly active for chromosomal damage • Diesel SVOC inactive or weakly active for DNA damage or chromosomal damage"

Stopping the world!
Old 06-30-2011, 11:41 AM   #7

I like the smell of unburnt gasoline than the smell of diesel. As far as drugs go, I think all drugs should be legalized and no prescription needed for any drug. You take the drugs at your own risk.

Bob

2003 Honda Accord EX
1973 Datsun 240Z

Old 06-30-2011, 12:48 PM   #8
pain's fun, hit me again

Well if the smell only meant it was actually bad or not. I too hate diesel, i swam in about 50 gallons today. Here is my issue with legalization, especially Adams case of it being public. If you drink alcohol, pop pills, shoot heroine etc. Thats something ONLY you can get to participate in, smoking in public, be in pot, meth, crack or the like is something that if youre smoking so am I. Most of the time its in a situation where you cant just leave. Keep it a private sector thing and we'll talk. For the record im against ANY form of public smoking. And if Adam doesnt think i get to comment cause i drive a diesel vehicles that smokes than go bitch to the epa, aqmd, california trade board and fuel companies that have a ZERO TOLERANCE about using gas vehicles on a fuel facility, no other choice for me to use a diesel. As far as my race tune, its used in a sanction event placement just like every other vehicle without smog equipment.

Stopping the world!
Old 06-30-2011, 02:47 PM   #9
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
. . . smoking in public, be in pot, meth, crack or the like is something that if youre smoking so am I. Most of the time its in a situation where you cant just leave. Keep it a private sector thing and we'll talk. For the record im against ANY form of public smoking.

Easy. Eliminate the concept of public property. All property is private and controlled by the owners. All property is used under terms of use. Then issues such as smoke can be handled as trespass or contract violation. If you're in a Hotel, the hotel decides if it wants to ban or allow smoking, you decide if you want to do business with that hotel. An easier example is that of smoking within restaurants and bars, only nanny state do-gooder Nazi storm trooper types would even imagine that they have the right to create and enforce a law governing smoking within a private business. Go pound sand you sub-human POS. It is NOT the state's business to protect us from ourselves.

I can't stand smoking. I'm even mildly allergic. If I owned a restaurant I wouldn't allow it in the eating area, but I'd never seek to make it illegal through legislative positivism.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-30-2011, 03:48 PM   #10
That's Mr. Bitch to you.

All I have to say is rap your lips around my exhaust pipe and suck it. Myself, Adam, and Guy all drive diesels and all of us hate the smell of it but who cares we are not back there smelling it. Smoking in restaurants on the other hand is much more annoying no one wants to smell cigarette smoke when eating dinner. I do agree with Bob legalize everything let people do as they wish it only harms them just don't do it in my living room and its all good. I don't smoke but many of my friends do and weed smoke is much less annoying than cigarette smoke.

2012 Sand Storm (Toy Hauler)
2008 Cadillac STS-V (The Car)
2008 2500 HD Silverado (The Work Truck)
2008 Honda TRX400 (Her Bike)
2006 Honda TRX450R (The Bike)
2005 Mazda 3 2.3L (Her Car)
2003 2500 HD Duramax (The Truck)

P.S. Fuck Apple.