Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems
View Poll Results: Would you like to do a top speed run?
Seriuosly interested. 8 72.73%
Not likely. 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-22-2008, 11:38 PM   #11
Fast & Filthy

I thought the 03-04 Cobras had forged pistons? That's a new one for me. I'm glad I put forged pistons in my Cobra. I've done a few 5th and 6th gears pulls and never had an issue.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:39 AM   #12
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
It's not detonation, lots of people have blown motors going wide open in 5th or 6th. This post explains it.
ZO6 FTW.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-23-2008, 01:22 AM   #13
Super Moderator

Wow, that sucks. I've hit 140 in my car before but I was still in 4th. I wonder how my motor would do...
Old 12-23-2008, 01:27 AM   #14
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Wow, that sucks. I've hit 140 in my car before but I was still in 4th. I wonder how my motor would do...
You have forged internals right? They typically have larger cold tolerances and heat into operating tolerances. This is why a lot of after market forged stroker kits light up knock sensors. They be slapping hard until heated. This also why, on these kind of built motors, you don't really want to go blasting until they are up to operating temperature and the tolerances are in place. Otherwise, they just sorta run crappy and you can get blow by etc. At least this is my understanding.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-23-2008, 08:28 AM   #15
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
I thought the 03-04 Cobras had forged pistons? That's a new one for me. I'm glad I put forged pistons in my Cobra. I've done a few 5th and 6th gears pulls and never had an issue.
They have forged everything, crank, rods, pistons.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:56 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
They have forged everything, crank, rods, pistons.
but u dont have to worry about it. its only if u boost at low rpm. like my car it makes almost 14 pounds of boos. to ask it to boost that much from a 5th gear roll is alot even with forged everything at low rpms, thats why u see all those high speed runs and street racing where they take 4th up to the max and then go to 5th so they wont be at low rpms. plus even if u take 4th all the way up u can top out the car in 5th gear. dont even need 6th.

Best Trap Speed 89.67MPH on Nitto Street Tires
Old 12-23-2008, 05:40 PM   #17
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertermi04 View Post
but u dont have to worry about it. its only if u boost at low rpm. like my car it makes almost 14 pounds of boos. to ask it to boost that much from a 5th gear roll is alot even with forged everything at low rpms, thats why u see all those high speed runs and street racing where they take 4th up to the max and then go to 5th so they wont be at low rpms. plus even if u take 4th all the way up u can top out the car in 5th gear. dont even need 6th.
My understanding of the post was because of the prolonged high heat and very tight Piston to Cylinder wall clearance, not loading or stress. Basically the pistons start to bind in the cylinders as the expand too much under heat. That's what I got out of it. Also, I'm pretty sure HS runs (at least in typical Corvettes) are all done winding out 5th. 6th is just for mileage on the freeways.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-23-2008, 06:13 PM   #18
FWD = FAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
My understanding of the post was because of the prolonged high heat and very tight Piston to Cylinder wall clearance, not loading or stress. Basically the pistons start to bind in the cylinders as the expand too much under heat. That's what I got out of it. Also, I'm pretty sure HS runs (at least in typical Corvettes) are all done winding out 5th. 6th is just for mileage on the freeways.
Thats what I have always been told.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:53 PM   #19
Fast & Filthy

I couldn't imagine that Ford would build a forged bottom end that had too tight of clearence that the piston would expand beyond the limit of the cylinder wall. If I recall correctly weren't those engines also hand assembled by guys in SVT as well.

I'm running a Vortech without an intercooler or aftercooler and forged piston in my Cobra and I've run it hard at Willow Springs without any issues. Even after a 20 minute session in 110 degree weather.

Your Cobra has a heat exchanger to help with the intake charge temps. I'd bet that my intake temps are higher without having a cooler of any kind than yours is with your heat exchanger.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:54 PM   #20
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
I couldn't imagine that Ford would build a forged bottom end that had too tight of clearence that the piston would expand beyond the limit of the cylinder wall. If I recall correctly weren't those engines also hand assembled by guys in SVT as well.

I'm running a Vortech without an intercooler or aftercooler and forged piston in my Cobra and I've run it hard at Willow Springs without any issues. Even after a 20 minute session in 110 degree weather.

Your Cobra has a heat exchanger to help with the intake charge temps. I'd bet that my intake temps are higher without having a cooler of any kind than yours is with your heat exchanger.
I know where you're coming from, but it does seem to be a real issue. Here's what another user said from the same thread Sean posted.

Quote:
The rebuilt of my Cobra will be done the 2nd week of January because of a 5th WOT my 1st and last one believe me!!!! I just had the estimate for the rebuilt $$$$$$ EXPENSIVE My fault no one to blame but me. Since i blew my motor there is a thread like this one that comes out each week, and someone reply by saying they did not know about the 5th and 6th gear WOT. Lets see on this thread if we have another one. I say again this subject should become a STICKY!!!!!!!!! It would save lots of motor,money,and stress,and the wife going crazy lol

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)