Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-05-2009, 09:46 PM   #51

so its a roller bock??? out of what car? rods?
Old 01-05-2009, 10:14 PM   #52
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Those are pretty. Would it be good on top of our 302 for a blown application?
165s... how cute.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:03 AM   #53
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Those are pretty. Would it be good on top of our 302 for a blown application?
There is one issue with those heads. They look like they are the pedestal mount heads which are the same I have on the Cobra. To use them we would have to get the pedestal mount rockers, the pedestals and shims. That's not a big deal but you'll need to factor another $300 into the cost for new stuff.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:45 AM   #54
Neanderthal

I'm back.

Ok, the heads should be 190cc to 210cc depending on cam lift and RPM limit. But a smaller intake port will work. With the forced induction intake size is realitive to boost. The exhaust port and restrictions after that are VERY important.

We need more information on the rear gear and total boost. What the final weight is going to be----give or take a few pounds.

If cost is the only factor here, then find the heads you can efford and then build every thing around that.

Are we going to go thru the short block or just use what we have as is??

Any heads we get, the ports can be cleaned up and do a little bowl work. Port match with the intake is a must. But, I don't like an exact match, I like the head ports to be a little bigger than the intake because of port pulse. The intake port being smaller helps break up the pulse wave.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 01-06-2009, 11:43 AM   #55
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
We need more information on the rear gear and total boost. What the final weight is going to be----give or take a few pounds.
I'd probably suggest 4.11s for our application. What do you think?

Total boost 12-15psi with methanol injection

Weight, and I'm really guessing on this one is probably going to be something on the order of: 2,750 +- 150.

Quote:
Are we going to go thru the short block or just use what we have as is??
I'd love to tare through a block with you. I've never done it so it'd be a fantastic learning experience. What would we be looking at and trying to cost effectively improve. I think Joe said it only had about 5,000 miles on it and it was all forged. Please clarify Joe.

Would we necessarily need to change the cam to be appropriate to the heads, or might the one that's in there work just fine.

Quote:
If cost is the only factor here, then find the heads you can efford and then build every thing around that.
Cost is the controlling limiting factor. But I have *some* flexibility here because it's such a critical component to making reliable power. Let's think on the order of <=$1,000, preferably a lot less than

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #56
Fast & Filthy

Quote:

Weight, and I'm really guessing on this one is probably going to be something on the order of: 2,750 +- 150.
What gears depends a lot on the cam and how tall of a tire we use. With a light car like this and the amount of torque we are going to have down low with the roots blower I think something in the neighborhood of 3.73 to 4.11 with a 26 inch tall tire would be ideal if the engine makes power to 6000rpms. If Joe can remember what the redline was before it would help.

Quote:
I'd love to tare through a block with you. I've never done it so it'd be a fantastic learning experience. What would we be looking at and trying to cost effectively improve. I think Joe said it only had about 5,000 miles on it and it was all forged. Please clarify Joe.

Would we necessarily need to change the cam to be appropriate to the heads, or might the one that's in there work just fine.
We don't have specs for the cam but I'm assuming because he had it made for the E6 heads that it is going to have more lift and duration on the exhaust side which isn't a bad thing when it comes to SBF heads. He also had it made for the blower which we are still going to be using so it should work fine. I also don't think there is a need to go through the bottom end with only 5000 miles but it wouldn't hurt to pull a rod and main bearing just to make sure they look good.

Quote:
Cost is the controlling limiting factor. But I have *some* flexibility here because it's such a critical component to making reliable power. Let's think on the order of <=$1,000, preferably a lot less than
Did you speak to Sean about the PM I sent you? Heads are another option I can discuss with them. When I bought my AFRs they only cost me around $1200 new.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:14 PM   #57
Neanderthal

Quote:

Doing a 302 is childs play. A very easy block to work on. I haven't done onw since the 80's but not a problem. Actually you should do it. Get the book on how to rebuild Small Block Ford. I'll hold your hand.

All this is food for thought. But, no matter what you deside "WE" will make it work. Hell, I have built a $12.00 engine that ran a best 11.93.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 01-06-2009, 04:17 PM   #58
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
. . .
Did you speak to Sean about the PM I sent you? Heads are another option I can discuss with them. When I bought my AFRs they only cost me around $1200 new.

Yes and I'll PM you later. Basically it's just a matter of details.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-07-2009, 04:29 PM   #59
Neanderthal

Pony boy (2007gtpony) has made an offer------he said he will test the engine in his FOX body racer for us. Isn't that nice?
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 01-07-2009, 04:37 PM   #60
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
Pony boy (2007gtpony) has made an offer------he said he will test the engine in his FOX body racer for us. Isn't that nice?
Que? You mean you guys will take the block and build it up, using the Fox as the test platform?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)