Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-08-2009, 06:36 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Good to know, let's get some good heads and shoot for 12 psi. With headers, good tune, etc. I'm guessing we could hit the 500BHP level, which should be stupid plenty in a 2,700lbs +- car.

Actually, the better the air flows and the fewer restrictions there are, the less boost and the more power you're gonna make. So let's shoot for 10 PSI with the same pulley that was making 12 PSI on my 347.

We can dream anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your ass?
Old 01-08-2009, 06:43 PM   #72
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Good to know, let's get some good heads and shoot for 12 psi. With headers, good tune, etc. I'm guessing we could hit the 500BHP level, which should be stupid plenty in a 2,700lbs +- car.
To give you an idea of where the car should be at this engine should make about the same as my Cobra. Maybe a little more if we go with 185-190cc heads and will have more lowend torque thanks to the roots blower. My Cobra is about a 1000lbs heavier, has a suspension that's not ideal for drag racing and I've gone 11.69 at 118. I think with a proper suspension, the lighter weight and more lowend torque mid 10's at 123-126mph is possible.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:45 PM   #73
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedls View Post
Actually, the better the air flows and the fewer restrictions there are, the less boost and the more power you're gonna make. So let's shoot for 10 PSI with the same pulley that was making 12 PSI on my 347.

We can dream anyway.
You are also talking about a 40ci difference so even with better heads we might still be in the same boost as the 347.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:08 PM   #74
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
07GTPONY has a set of 351w's that we could talk to him about. He's had some work done but aren't finished. Just a thought.
Ford Aluminum Tri-Pro 5.0 302/351-W $299.00 $275.00

100% Satisfaction Guaranteed!

http://www.tristatecylinderhead.com/catalog/

Single Head Bare
60cc Combustion Chamber
Choice Of 175cc Intake
190cc Intake Runners
210cc Intake Runners
Phosphor Bronze Valve Guides

100% Satisfaction Guaranteed!

Single Head Built Complete $399.00
3/8" Screw-in Studs & Guide Plates
Stainless 2.055" or 2.02" Intake Valves
Stainless 1.600" Exhaust Valves
Performace Springs Good To .550" Hyd. Roller
*130 psi @ 1.800" (closed)
*340 psi @ 1.258" (open)

These are the guys I got my heads from.
Couple questions:

- Would we want to put 351 Heads on our 302 block? Any strange problems that have to be dealt with doing that, or is it "the way to go"?

- BTW, what about intake and carb, those seem important too.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-08-2009, 07:14 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
You are also talking about a 40ci difference so even with better heads we might still be in the same boost as the 347.
Yeah, that's why I said we could dream. The truth is, the 347 breathed very well. It had CNC machined Dart Pro 1 heads (2.02/1.60 valves, 195cc runners) that were port matched to both the intake and exhaust, LT headers, and a 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust. So, if that 302 makes 12 PSI of boost, it will be breathing very well.

HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your ass?
Old 01-08-2009, 07:18 PM   #76
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Couple questions:

- Would we want to put 351 Heads on our 302 block? Any strange problems that have to be dealt with doing that, or is it "the way to go"?

If you are talking aftermarket heads the 351 and 302 use the same head, just a different intake manifold. As for stock heads, I think the only difference is that the 351 heads came with larger valves but I'm not sure. Anyone know?

Don't we have the lower intake for the blower already or just the blower case?

I'm also not sure what size carb we should run. My guess is around a 750 because of the blower but I'm not sure.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:22 PM   #77

Quote:
Couple questions:

Windsor heads are interchangeable. That was the hotrodders way to go before all the aftermarket heads came along.

I have the intake made for this blower. I would suggest the Mighty Demon 750 blower carb. It worked very well for me. Unfortunately, I traded it for something else about 2 months ago because I'm not planning to put the blower back on my 347.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:30 PM   #78
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
If you are talking aftermarket heads the 351 and 302 use the same head, just a different intake manifold. As for stock heads, I think the only difference is that the 351 heads came with larger valves but I'm not sure. Anyone know?

Don't we have the lower intake for the blower already or just the blower case?

I'm also not sure what size carb we should run. My guess is around a 750 because of the blower but I'm not sure.
Sorry if I'm a little dense. So does this mean that if we have the low rise intake for the 174 we SHOULD use aftermarket 302, because they'll match the intake?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-08-2009, 07:36 PM   #79
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedls View Post
Windsor heads are interchangeable. That was the hotrodders way to go before all the aftermarket heads came along.

I have the intake made for this blower. I would suggest the Mighty Demon 750 blower carb. It worked very well for me. Unfortunately, I traded it for something else about 2 months ago because I'm not planning to put the blower back on my 347.
So, aftermarket 302/351, doesn't matter for performance or fitting to the intake?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-08-2009, 07:38 PM   #80
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Sorry if I'm a little dense. So does this mean that if we have the low rise intake for the 174 we SHOULD use aftermarket 302, because they'll match the intake?
No, you can use any head you want, 289, 302, 351. They will all work. What I'm saying is the blower has two parts to it. The blower case and the a lower intake manifold that is designed specifically for the blower. See in the picture below. The lower intake gets bolted to the heads and then the blower gets bolted the the intake. Finally the carb is bolted to the top of the blower.