Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 08-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #41
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
How is the valve train loud? The sound you hear in a diesel engine is the sound of the injectors opening and closing at insane rates of pressure.
That's not the only reason, ever heard a new diesel with hydraulic lifters? Near silent. Ever hear a new diesel with solid roller conversion? Fuckin loud again.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stopping the world!
Old 08-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #42
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
That's not the only reason, ever heard a new diesel with hydraulic lifters? Near silent. Ever hear a new diesel with solid roller conversion? Fuckin loud again.
How is that different from a gas solid lifter engine?

And quiet valve train or not, you can't escape the injector noise. Not even with all of the crap Mercedes puts on top of them to contain the sound
Old 08-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #43
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
How is that different from a gas solid lifter engine?

And quiet valve train or not, you can't escape the injector noise. Not even with all of the crap Mercedes puts on top of them to contain the sound
I didn't say you were wrong, its was just additional information. And its not different, diesels are crude vehicles, or at least they use to be and all of it combined makes them noisy. The new 6.7 AnAudi diesel are near silent.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stopping the world!
Old 08-09-2013, 12:16 AM   #44
I, Vettezuki

Well, enkeivette came over tonight and we took a listen. He thinks, along with Guy's original estimation and I agree with the logic of it anyway, that it probably is cam knock. The sound is most concentrated when listening with a stethoscope on the low back part of the intake closest to the block.

Not sure what the next step is, maybe change the oil for some heavy stuff and see if it's better or the same? Have Ron, Guy, or Paul come by and take a listen.

NOTE: While it's clean as a whistle underneath, something is consuming oil, we had to add a couple quarts. That was never a problem before, so I don't know if a couple rings have some gaps that are getting blown by as well. So maybe a leakdown test is in order.

I'm half tempted to just pull it and go through it, replace all bearings and swap out lifters and rockers and check pistons, replace rings and hone if needed.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 08-09-2013, 12:22 AM   #45
Super Moderator

Just to be sure you should pull off that drivers side rocker cover too.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:37 AM   #46
Fast & Filthy

If it's not leaking the oil out then it is burning it. There are two ways it can burn oil, either it's getting passed the rings or it is being sucked into the intake. A leak down test will help figure that part out.

As for the knock, I don't know anything about cam knock and have never owned an LS. Guy can probably tell you about it or I can ask Phil if he's seen it before and what causes it.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #47
pain's fun, hit me again

I pretty much already explained it, you're gonna need to pull the cam, mic it and order the appropriate sized bearings.

Stopping the world!
Old 08-09-2013, 09:31 AM   #48
Super Moderator

I suggested he run some super thick oil just for testing purposes. If the knock goes away then there is your answer. Maybe straight 50 weight racing oil. Anyone know of any cheap sources for straight 50 weight?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #49
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
I pretty much already explained it, you're gonna need to pull the cam, mic it and order the appropriate sized bearings.
So do the cam bearings just wear and cause the cam to move around?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:34 AM   #50
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
So do the cam bearings just wear and cause the cam to move around?
From what Dick has told me about the engines he's done is that the bearings were oversized from the factory, some of them had knock right off the showroom, some took longer but almost always the bearings were not the right size. You can order bearings in an array of sizes so mic it and order them.

Stopping the world!