Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 09-15-2008, 09:26 AM   #1
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk
Default Vettezuki, triathlon results?

Come on man don't keep us in suspense - how did it go?
Old 09-15-2008, 12:40 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Ya dead mon?
Old 09-15-2008, 02:11 PM   #3
I, Vettezuki

When I get some pics, I'll post them up. But here's how it went

4:00 am - wake up call
4:30 am - breakfast, banana, bagel with peanut butter
4:50 am - load busses for transport from Santa Monica -> Zuma Beach
5:50 am - prepare transition area (pics to come), get marked, general prep
7:00 am - pre-race meeting, National Anthem, group pic
7:15 am - Wave 1 - Elete athletes, pros and a couple others
7:20 am - Wave 2 - Celebs and dsiable athlets (as I recall)
7:35 am - Wave 5 30 - 34 Year Old Men (me)

SWIM
I have no background in swimming and it was my biggest concern at the beginning of training back in May. However, with the coacing from Team in Training, lots of practice swims in pools and the ocean, I went from dangerously bad to coming in with the group without having spent much energy at all. Unlike the biking and running which requires some real strength at points, swimming is VERY technical and you can easily waste tremendous amounts of energy. A lot of people really over exert themselves and suffer for the rest of the race. I wasn't concerned about speed here, just wanted an okay time and almost a warm up for the biking.

BIKE
Absolutely my strongest event. I didn't know the course so I held back quite a bit because it was somewhat hilly and you don't want to go off sprinting to find you've got miles of nasty hills you didn't anticipate. I was also holding back some for the run. Still, I did the 18 mile course including a long roll out/in at lower speeds in just about one hour exactly.

RUN
Transition to run was okay, muscles and lungs still totally fine. Unfortunately, my knee decided this was a swell time to light up, so I could only sort of interval walk and run the 4 mile corse. Lost tons of time.

I don't have an official time with splits yet, but I think I came in around 2'12" including transitions. This is a decent amateur time for my group even considering the super slow run time. In fact, I think the top 3 amateurs in my group were in the 1'50" range, something I think I can get to pretty easily if I could just get my knee to cooperate for a run.

While it's frustrating to be held back from your max potential by an injury, I'm happy with my performance in my first Triathlon. It was A LOT of fun and I'd recommend it to anybody who wants to get truly fit. People are quite nice and supportive along the whole route, which was really a good experience.

More importantly, however, the point of this event for me was to have a new experience, get fit and raise some money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. In this regard, I achieved all my goals.

More pics and details to come.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 09-15-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post

SWIM
I have no background in swimming and it was my biggest concern at the beginning of training back in May. However, with the coacing from Team in Training, lots of practice swims in pools and the ocean, I went from dangerously bad to coming in with the group without having spent much energy at all. Unlike the biking and running which requires some real strength at points, swimming is VERY technical and you can easily waste tremendous amounts of energy. A lot of people really over exert themselves and suffer for the rest of the race. I wasn't concerned about speed here, just wanted an okay time and almost a warm up for the biking.

BIKE
Absolutely my strongest event. I didn't know the course so I held back quite a bit because it was somewhat hilly and you don't want to go off sprinting to find you've got miles of nasty hills you didn't anticipate. I was also holding back some for the run. Still, I did the 18 mile course including a long roll out/in at lower speeds in just about one hour exactly.

RUN
Transition to run was okay, muscles and lungs still totally fine. Unfortunately, my knee decided this was a swell time to light up, so I could only sort of interval walk and run the 4 mile corse. Lost tons of time.

I don't have an official time with splits yet, but I think I came in around 2'12" including transitions. This is a decent amateur time for my group even considering the super slow run time. In fact, I think the top 3 amateurs in my group were in the 1'50" range, something I think I can get to pretty easily if I could just get my knee to cooperate for a run.

While it's frustrating to be held back from your max potential by an injury, I'm happy with my performance in my first Triathlon. It was A LOT of fun and I'd recommend it to anybody who wants to get truly fit. People are quite nice and supportive along the whole route, which was really a good experience.

More importantly, however, the point of this event for me was to have a new experience, get fit and raise some money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. In this regard, I achieved all my goals.

Good job.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 09-15-2008, 02:20 PM   #5
A Motorgen O.G.

My wrestling coach in high school was always on us about the importance of being able to recognize the difference between pain and injury.

"You can wrestle through pain, not an injury."

Sounds like you did the right thing taking it easy on the run. It'd be a shame to do some real damage to your knee.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:30 PM   #6
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post

SWIM

BIKE

RUN

Nice dude, congrats Overall it sounds like a huge success.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:36 PM   #7
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptCulture View Post
My wrestling coach in high school was always on us about the importance of being able to recognize the difference between pain and injury.

Sounds like you did the right thing taking it easy on the run. It'd be a shame to do some real damage to your knee.
This is great advice every athlete (especially younger less experienced ones) have to "wrestle" with so to speak. There are lots of aches and pains, especially to endurance training and events, that sort of pop up and go away. For me, it's not uncommon to feel quite a bit better after being well into a training session, then at the beginning. I tend to get minor side aches while on the bike, or minor butt cramps when running, these are things you can pace yourself through. The knee thing gets to the point of involuntary response which is your body's way of saying, "hey, dip shit, why don't you take it down a notch." I try to take it down a notch just before that point.

For better or worse, I'm a pretty competitive person once I decide to do something. I'm not so concerned with how I rate against other people per se, but whether I think I'm up to what I'm capable of. Psychologically the hard part is not feeling guilty for not performing at what you think is your best and realizing you're doing the smart thing. This probably should be a much bigger part of how young athletes are trained; learning to listen to their bodies intelligently, know when to push through normal pain/discomfort and when to recognize warning signs. Sadly, this is not a strong suit of young athletes and many coaches have a tendency to just push until something breaks. It's dumb, and sometimes outright sad. Particularly in this regard, the TNT coaches were fantastic.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 09-16-2008, 02:37 AM   #8
I, Vettezuki

Default Celelbs and Charity

TNT = Team in Training

This is the organization I participated with for this event. They exist to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. A minimum of 75% of monies raised go directly to programs and services.

The relatively small group of people that I participated with in just this one event (they organize Triathlons, Runs, and Cycling Events of Various Lengths) raised about $250k. Annually, they raise more than $90 million net nationally. This is real money that's done extraordinary good for countless people. If you're interested in doing this kind of endurance event, but don't have the training and are afraid, don't be. Just join, follow their guidance and it'll be an experience you'll have for life.

Totally Separate from Team in Training, the Nautica Triathlon is a fundraiser for the Children's Hospital of Los Angeles. In one day, they raised over $900k total. This is where the Celebs get involved.

I'm not a star struck person, but there were quite a few celebrities there. Here's who I can remember:
- Jennifer Lopez
- Matthew Mcconaughey
- Cindy Crawford
- Some Baldwins
- Some tv stars I don't recall as I don't watc tv, but including Andy Baldwin of the Bachelor who is a bad ass Triathlete.

J-Lo, Matthew, and at least one of the tv stars participated in the event itself. I wasn't paying so close attention so I'm not so sure who did what. I think I might have some colorful pics to post later though.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Last edited by Vettezuki : 09-20-2008 at 02:37 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:56 AM   #9
I, Vettezuki

Default "Disabled" Persons

There were a considerable number of "disabled" athletes. It is humbling to know some participants pulled themselves across deep sand on their chest after having swum in the ocean pulling non-functional or missing legs; to see people pedaling their trikes with their arms, or running with prosthetic legs. I think it is very healthy to be reminded of just what the human spirit looks like. For me it looks like "fu*k you, I'm gonna do this."

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 09-16-2008, 08:40 AM   #10
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptCulture View Post

My wrestling coach in high school name was Richard Peter--Dick Peter---Mr Peter. He used to say pain is only pain and an injury is damage or something like that.
2016 Nissan Altma