Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 09-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
Internet Tough Guy

Default Brakes

Well it's that time and I am purchasing a big brake kit for my corvette. I am open to suggestions. I have been looking at Willwoods, Stoptech, and Brembos. I am looking for both front and back abs compatible. Obviously the car is pretty much road race only. The Willwoods are the most affordable <$5k, the Stoptech trophy will go for just under $8K, Brembo gt are $8k, and brembo gt-r are $8k for the front only (fuck that). Zr1 ceramic brakes from brembo are $15k.

What do you guys think. Remember that brake are a constant wear surface therefore cost of replacement parts must be accounted for.
2009 Jetta Auto 2.5 liter
Old 09-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
pain's fun, hit me again

Stoptech seems to be the standard on all the track only cars on corner carvers. I know i'll be going with stoptechs once i get back to the gray car
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stopping the world!
Old 09-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #3

I can’t comment on the other kits you mentioned because I don’t know enough about them but here’s the setup I chose for my GTO. (Red calipers, slotted only rotors) http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Bra...ion=All&whl=17 The BP-10 compound pads that ship with the kit aren’t useless but they’re pretty close. I now have the PolyMatrix H compound for track-days and a set of BP-20 for the street. The H compound pads work very well and longevity is surprisingly good. However, the rotors are taking a beating and I’m already looking to replace them; not inexpensive. In case you didn’t already know, the hat-to-rotor connection requires safety wiring for the bolts. Those bolts are torqued in inch pounds so if you don’t have an inch pound torque wrench, well… Also, I’ve heard that some of the other kits don’t require shims (washers) to mount the calipers correctly but the Wilwoods will. Notice that I didn’t say “might” or “may,” they will. A side note: I’m very pleased with Wilwood customer service and parts have arrived in just a few days.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
Super Moderator

How much do you want for your old stuff?

And I drove a brembo kit on an FD, impressive but not for the money. Whats the rotor size, caliper piston size difference between brembo and wilwood?
Old 09-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
Internet Tough Guy

rotor size calipers are all similar. The stoptechs and brembos have titanium pistons (vented for brembos gtr). The Willwoods have some "thermal barriers".
Enkie- you can have what left of my old stuff. There isn't much left though. The calipers need a rebuild. The rotors pads are pretty fucked.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:45 AM   #6
FWD = FAIL

Ap racing is a popular choice for the racers and wilwoods.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:46 AM   #7
FWD = FAIL

Hit up hardbar, drm , lg or pfadt
Old 09-23-2012, 03:16 AM   #8
Super Moderator

I think aluminum has similar heat transfer properties to titanium, and wilwoods thermal barrier system sounds pretty cool... only downside I can think of is that the pistons arent fully aluminum, so a fully titanium piston might keep the brake fluid cooler?? But thats splitting hairs on theory Im not even really sure about.

Wilwood makes some good shit though, without some hard evidence that the others are better Id prob go with wilwoods.

PS, Carlos, you are my hero. Let me know when I can take it off your hands Def owe you one
Old 09-23-2012, 03:33 AM   #9
FWD = FAIL

T1 guys have good success with wilwoods and so do the tt guys.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:05 AM   #10
Internet Tough Guy

I really like the brembos and the Willwoods. I have a connect with pfadt. If he can cut me a deal on the brembos then I will bet the brembos. If not then I really can't justify the cost difference.