Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 02-23-2010, 11:36 PM   #1
Neanderthal

Default New to us 96 Explorer

Darlene did it. She made a deal for a 96 2wd Explorer, she did it all by herself and got a GREAT deal. It's a 5.0 that runs great. Trans was rebuild (auto OD) not too long ago.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 02-23-2010, 11:41 PM   #2

Exact year and model i need an 8.8 out of
Old 02-24-2010, 12:31 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraperio View Post
Exact year and model i need an 8.8 out of
What do you need? Just a few months ago I checked out the tags on every Exploder in pick your part. My buddy and I found an 8.8 LSD with 4.10s for his Ranger. There's a new Edge there right now too with an 8.8.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
What do you need? Just a few months ago I checked out the tags on every Exploder in pick your part. My buddy and I found an 8.8 LSD with 4.10s for his Ranger. There's a new Edge there right now too with an 8.8.
I need the '96+ off the exploder with the disk brakes to replace the 7.5 in my ranger.

Last year had a complete brake system failure twice, once on the freeway (pedal to the floor, still going 60) because one spring failed in the left rear drum causing the wheel cylinder seal to pop, blowing out all my fluid. Plus the 7.5 has 210k miles on it and was run for who knows how long with low fluid and a leaking pinion seal.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:35 AM   #5
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Congrats! What color did you go with?
Old 02-24-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
Congrats! What color did you go with?
You saw it when we went to the LA Auto Show. We borrowed it go on that. It is Burgundy.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 02-24-2010, 12:44 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraperio View Post
I need the '96+ off the exploder with the disk brakes to replace the 7.5 in my ranger.

Last year had a complete brake system failure twice, once on the freeway (pedal to the floor, still going 60) because one spring failed in the left rear drum causing the wheel cylinder seal to pop, blowing out all my fluid. Plus the 7.5 has 210k miles on it and was run for who knows how long with low fluid and a leaking pinion seal.
Almost all of them are drums. There was one that was hit from behind in the Stanton pick your part on Beach with disk brakes a few months ago, I think it was red. It had the 3.70 LSD. We were going to go back and get that one but then we found the 4.10 in the other lot. Not sure if it's still there but it's worth the $2 and the drive to find out.

Print out a list of diff codes of Ranger forum and take it with you. The code is on the sticker on the drivers side door. If the sticker isn't there you can count the revolutions to make sure it's LSD. Open diffs spin twice as much as they're supposed to. The 8.5 was like $200 out the door with the brakes.

P.S. If you want my friends 7.5 I'm sure he'd give it to you or sell it to you really really cheap. It only has like 40K miles on it. But you would need to weld your perches and mounts on it. It's a 3.70 and he has all the drum hardware for it.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Almost all of them are drums. There was one that was hit from behind in the Stanton pick your part on Beach with disk brakes a few months ago, I think it was red. It had the 3.70 LSD. We were going to go back and get that one but then we found the 4.10 in the other lot. Not sure if it's still there but it's worth the $2 and the drive to find out.

Print out a list of diff codes of Ranger forum and take it with you. The code is on the sticker on the drivers side door. If the sticker isn't there you can count the revolutions to make sure it's LSD. Open diffs spin twice as much as they're supposed to. The 8.5 was like $200 out the door with the brakes.

P.S. If you want my friends 7.5 I'm sure he'd give it to you or sell it to you really really cheap. It only has like 40K miles on it. But you would need to weld your perches and mounts on it. It's a 3.70 and he has all the drum hardware for it.
All the 96+ explorers had disks in the back. Problem is your competing with all the jeep and ranger guys who pull them to replace their dana44/7.5.

I've found a few up north for around $250 just having trouble justifying that plus getting the spring perches flipped for a truck that was free.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:04 PM   #9
Neanderthal

For a SUV that 5.0 pulls it right along. It's pretty fast for what it is. I'll do some work on it to make it faster.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 02-24-2010, 04:48 PM   #10
Fast & Filthy

When will she be ready to turn it into a prerunner?

The Explorer received disc brakes starting in '95. That is what year mine is. If you guys are looking for an 8.8 with disc brakes there are about 15-20 of them at the Pick-A-Part in Ontario. That's where I go to get stuff for my Explorer.