Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-12-2009, 01:35 AM   #141
I, Vettezuki

BTW, unless I'm a total crack head (possible) and incapable of using a tape measure, the engine will have to swtich from a front to rear sump setup. What parts can be kept (pan?) and what needs to change (pickup?)?

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-12-2009, 07:03 AM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
BTW, unless I'm a total crack head (possible) and incapable of using a tape measure, the engine will have to swtich from a front to rear sump setup. What parts can be kept (pan?) and what needs to change (pickup?)?

That's it. The pan and the pick-up.

HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your ass?
Old 01-12-2009, 08:56 AM   #143
Neanderthal

Quote:
Glenn, did you say you had a carb that could be used, or know where we could get one that would be appropriate on the cheap? I'm assuming we could get a used one, and somebody here could rebuild it and set it up for our purpose.
What I said was, I'm sure we could find a Holley somwhere we could use to get things going. I do have a 500 CFM Carter laying around. That's half of what we need.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 01-12-2009, 10:54 AM   #144
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
What I said was, I'm sure we could find a Holley somwhere we could use to get things going. I do have a 500 CFM Carter laying around. That's half of what we need.
I'll keep my eyes open on Craigslist/eBay for a 750 Holley with 4 corner idle set. My understanding is that since the carb goes on top of the blower, it's a "pull through" not a "blow throw" setup and there's effectively no advantage to a "blower carb". Am I thinking correctly?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-12-2009, 11:17 AM   #145

Quote:
I'll keep my eyes open on Craigslist/eBay for a 750 Holley with 4 corner idle set. My understanding is that since the carb goes on top of the blower, it's a "pull through" not a "blow throw" setup and there's effectively no advantage to a "blower carb". Am I thinking correctly?
Not exactly. The power valve will not operate correctly without referencing manifold vacuum/boost, causing the engine to run rich during normal operation. Both Holley and Demon has a carb for roots style blowers.

But let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. I need to make sure I can get this blower functional before we go purchasing a carb for it.

HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your ass?
Old 01-12-2009, 11:23 AM   #146
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedls View Post
Not exactly. The power valve will not operate correctly without referencing manifold vacuum/boost, causing the engine to run rich during normal operation. Both Holley and Demon has a carb for roots style blowers.

But let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. I need to make sure I can get this blower functional before we go purchasing a carb for it.
Roger. I'll put the carb acquisition into a holding pattern until you give clearance. Can you post pics of the parts that are needed? I think you said shaft housing and end plate. I'll do some rooting around and see what I can find.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-12-2009, 11:53 AM   #147

Quote:
Roger. I'll put the carb acquisition into a holding pattern until you give clearance. Can you post pics of the parts that are needed? I think you said shaft housing and end plate. I'll do some rooting around and see what I can find.

I'll take some pics tonight when I get home.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:47 PM   #148
Neanderthal

Quote:

Years ago, we were able to get Holleys to work with Roots Blower. This was long before there were "blower" carbs. It is still pull thru as with a NA motor. But I've heard that Blower Carbs are easier to tune for roots. Haven't used one.

The last Roots steet car I built 1990 had a BM and I used a 750 Double pumper and it ran great, no over richness when I tuned the carb.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 01-12-2009, 02:42 PM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
Years ago, we were able to get Holleys to work with Roots Blower. This was long before there were "blower" carbs. It is still pull thru as with a NA motor. But I've heard that Blower Carbs are easier to tune for roots. Haven't used one.

The last Roots steet car I built 1990 had a BM and I used a 750 Double pumper and it ran great, no over richness when I tuned the carb.
Yeah, we used to have distributors with points in them, too. Doesn't mean I still wanna do it.

BTW, Glen, you're an old man!!!

Old 01-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #150
Neanderthal

Quote:
BTW, Glen, you're an old man!!!
You say that here, but can you say that to me in person????

Actually points are a VERY reliable way to go.
2016 Nissan Altma