Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems
View Poll Results: Effects of exhuast system on Torque/HP
Headers must be matched to engine and design purpose. After the collectors, the less restrictive the better, always 5 62.50%
Exhuast and back pressure has to be considered as part of the whole system. This means from the Headers/Manifolds all the way to exhaust tips. Therefore, just bigger less restrictive exhaust after the collectors is not always best. 2 25.00%
The less restriction the better, from the Headers/Manifolds on. Regardless. 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-24-2008, 06:08 PM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default Exhaust Systems, Back Pressure and Torque/HP

[EDIT]

There seems to be three ways to think about this.
1 - Headers are where all the magic is. They must be part of the engine system and design for desired results. After the collector, the less restrictive the exhaust the better.

2 - The entire exhaust system from headers/manifolds all the way to exhuast tips must be considered for maximum performance/desired results. Simply increasing exhaust size is not necessarily going to give you any benefit and may even cost you some performance.

3 - All things being equal, the less restrictive the exhaust with larger headers and exhaust pipes, etc., is an inherently good thing and should basically be maximized. Of course there are diminishing returns, but you would basically never loose power by going to a larger and less restrictive exhaust system, from the headers all the way back.

At first I tended to think along the lines of 2. But now that I think about it more, 1 seems more likely. Links to papers and dyno results, anecdotal stories etc. welcome.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-24-2008, 06:17 PM   #2

From my readings in the past, articles written my much smarter people than I, have said that all exhaust tuning is done with the primary tubes in the header and the collector length. Any restriction past the collector is costing horsepower and torque. This tells me that only the headers are responsible for any scavenging effect the exhaust system contributes to power gains.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:35 PM   #3
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_G View Post
From my readings in the past, articles written my much smarter people than I, have said that all exhaust tuning is done with the primary tubes in the header and the collector length. Any restriction past the collector is costing horsepower and torque. This tells me that only the headers are responsible for any scavenging effect the exhaust system contributes to power gains.
Maybe I should make three options phrased a little differently.

1 - Headers/Manifolds must be matched to the engine for intended purpose, but after the collector the less restriction the better, always.
2 - The whole exhaust line from headers/manifolds to exhaust tip matters
3 - The less restriction from the exhaust ports on the better. In other words straight pipes out of the exhaust would be best.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-24-2008, 06:58 PM   #4
Power's off.

Quote:
I believe this to be true. However, on a forced induction engine, Zoomies baby.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:08 PM   #5
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
This may be the case because when I did this to my Chevelle I changed the header size (larger primary tube as well as collector size and length) and exhaust size at the same time. I know a lot of drag racers test with different length extentions after their collector and I've read that around 18 inches is usually best but I personally have never tested it.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:04 PM   #6
Super Moderator

1 is correct. 2 starts out ok, but finishes poorly. A less restrictive exhaust will always increase hp (assuming there is increase to be had) and providing that the engine is properly tuned/ capable of those gains. But not regardless of the situation. A low end motor with little to no time spent past 4K rpm, would not do well with a 280 cam, big runners and zoomies.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:15 AM   #7
Neanderthal

"scavenging effect" is not back pressure.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 12-26-2008, 09:25 AM   #8
Graphics B*tch

I read an article is Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords a couple of months back and it dicsussed this very topic. They said that the headers have to be thought about as part of the whole engine build-up. The length and size of everything designed with the characteristics of what would work best with the engine. Can not remember if the article was more about headers than the whole exhaust though. I will try and dig up the article.

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten
Old 12-28-2008, 08:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
[EDIT]

There seems to be three ways to think about this.
1 - Headers are where all the magic is. They must be part of the engine system and design for desired results. After the collector, the less restrictive the exhaust the better.

2 - The entire exhaust system from headers/manifolds all the way to exhuast tips must be considered for maximum performance/desired results. Simply increasing exhaust size is not necessarily going to give you any benefit and may even cost you some performance.

3 - All things being equal, the less restrictive the exhaust with larger headers and exhaust pipes, etc., is an inherently good thing and should basically be maximized. Of course there are diminishing returns, but you would basically never loose power by going to a larger and less restrictive exhaust system, from the headers all the way back.

At first I tended to think along the lines of 2. But now that I think about it more, 1 seems more likely. Links to papers and dyno results, anecdotal stories etc. welcome.
This Article is aimed at Honda/Acura but seems to have some good basic theory-
http://www.team-integra.net/sections...sp?ArticleID=2
Old 12-29-2008, 08:51 PM   #10
Power's off.

Ben,
Richard Waitas, the head engineer at Magnaflow, still corresponds about car days. I'll set you guys up when I hear about the next "open show." That guy knows more about exhaust then anyone I know.