Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-09-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
Neanderthal

Default WORLD AT WAR... DVD set

This is a must see for anyone that has no clue what WWII was about. This was first aired in 1974 and is so well done that I even find it spell binding now. I have studied WWII since I was a kid all the way into and including College.
It has footage from WWII that has been not seen by the public till then.
I'm on the Russian Front right now and it is incrediable.

THOSE WHO DO NOT LEARN FROM HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 01-09-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
This is a must see for anyone that has no clue what WWII was about. This was first aired in 1974 and is so well done that I even find it spell binding now. I have studied WWII since I was a kid all the way into and including College.
It has footage from WWII that has been not seen by the public till then.
I'm on the Russian Front right now and it is incrediable.

THOSE WHO DO NOT LEARN FROM HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT.
I'm a WWII history buff of sorts. It is extraordinary just how massive that war was. BTW, if you ever get a chance, I think one of the best series ever was called "The Color of War." It was on the History Channel for a while. It turns out, there was towards the end of WWII actual color footage taken, some of the very first. It was somehow misplaced and only very recently rediscovered. It takes on a much more personal tone than the geopolitical POV of World At War. Highly recommended.

I've actually burnt out on war history a little bit. I have an empathetic streak and it really is just too much sadness to take in when you get down to what was really happening to individuals. I used to watch and read in more of an abstract way, somehow it impacts me a lot more now.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-09-2009, 03:39 PM   #3
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
I'm a WWII history buff of sorts. It is extraordinary just how massive that war was. BTW, if you ever get a chance, I think one of the best series ever was called "The Color of War." It was on the History Channel for a while. It turns out, there was towards the end of WWII actual color footage taken, some of the very first. It was somehow misplaced and only very recently rediscovered. It takes on a much more personal tone than the geopolitical POV of World At War. Highly recommended.

I've actually burnt out on war history a little bit. I have an empathetic streak and it really is just too much sadness to take in when you get down to what was really happening to individuals. I used to watch and read in more of an abstract way, somehow it impacts me a lot more now.
Why can't I write like you. I can hear my Dad now,"Why can't you be more like Ben"?

If you can check out World at War. It's worth the effort!
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 01-09-2009, 08:39 PM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Why can't I write like you. I can hear my Dad now,"Why can't you be more like Ben"?

If you can check out World at War. It's worth the effort!
I think you write fine.

"I don't need quality in my thinking, I need naked." - BRUTAL64

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-10-2009, 03:03 AM   #5
I, Vettezuki

Default Btw

Doesn't this set include a lot of footage not included in the original World at War series because it was considered too shocking?

On another BTW, while I didn't go to see the film myself, there was Russian documentary that was made from captured German footage from the Eastern front. I did see some ads for it. It should make any sane person shudder.

"The Dark Knight," "Silence of the Lambs," fill in the blank . . . reality can be so . . so much worse.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-12-2009, 08:26 AM   #6
Neanderthal

Quote:
Doesn't this set include a lot of footage not included in the original World at War series because it was considered too shocking?

On another BTW, while I didn't go to see the film myself, there was Russian documentary that was made from captured German footage from the Eastern front. I did see some ads for it. It should make any sane person shudder.

"The Dark Knight," "Silence of the Lambs," fill in the blank . . . reality can be so . . so much worse.
The Germans were killing EVERYTHING as they moved East. They were incredablity brutal as they went. Which cost Germany dearly when the Russians started moving the war west. Of course you know all that.

A Russian Documentary would be VERY interesting.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 01-12-2009, 11:02 AM   #7
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
The Germans were killing EVERYTHING as they moved East. They were incredablity brutal as they went. Which cost Germany dearly when the Russians started moving the war west. Of course you know all that.

A Russian Documentary would be VERY interesting.
It's a strange quirk of history. The Germans sort of beat themselves by creating enemies with their "mode of war". If they had entered and acted as they were originally greeted by the Ukranians, that is liberators from Stalin, it might have been largely a walk all the way through the east. Then they would have had unfettered access to nearly endless natural and human resources. It would have been a VERY different war then. We probably would have ended up not invading D-Day style, but nuking major German cities. As it was we did hada plan for blanketing Germany with Anthrax.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-12-2009, 11:44 AM   #8
Neanderthal

Quote:
It's a strange quirk of history. The Germans sort of beat themselves by creating enemies with their "mode of war". If they had entered and acted as they were originally greeted by the Ukranians, that is liberators from Stalin, it might have been largely a walk all the way through the east. Then they would have had unfettered access to nearly endless natural and human resources. It would have been a VERY different war then. We probably would have ended up not invading D-Day style, but nuking major German cities. As it was we did hada plan for blanketing Germany with Anthrax.
Hitler looked at the Russians as SUB-human. They were to be used as slaves, at least the ones that were left. He wanted to kill off most of the population. He was looking at Russia as a place to populate with German expansion.

If Hitler had not made the Big three "Mistakes" we may have had to NUKE Germany.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 01-12-2009, 11:50 AM   #9
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Hitler looked at the Russians as SUB-human. They were to be used as slaves, at least the one that were left.. He wanted to kill off most of the population. He was looking at Russia as a place to populate with German expansion.

If Hitler had not made the Big three "Mistakes" we may have had to NUKE Germany.
True dat. History is weird. We get a long far better with our vanquished enemies than with our former allies.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-12-2009, 03:33 PM   #10
Neanderthal

Quote:
True dat. History is weird. We get a long far better with our vanquished enemies than with our former allies.
20 milliom Russians died by German hands (at least that is what the Russian claim. I think Stalin had a hand in some of those deaths.). Even with those numbers they were able to put up the largest land Army of WWII, if not of all time. Those frisky Russian.
2016 Nissan Altma