Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems
View Poll Results: Which Mustang would you rather have (assuming same price, drivetrain, etc)
A 5.0L DOHC V8 with 400hp/400tq 9 47.37%
A 3.5L Twin Turbo V6 with 400hp/400tq 10 52.63%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2009, 10:48 PM   #1
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk
Default Which would you rather own: Turbo V6 Mustang or V8 Mustang

Based on announcements over the last couple days regarding engine choices for the F150, it appears Ford has two engines with basically the same horsepower and torque numbers. The first engine is a 3.5L TT V6 that is supposed to have 400hp/400tq (in the trucks at least, the car version has 355hp). The second engine is a new 5.0 DOHC engine (called Coyote) also with 400hp/400tq. The rumors are that both engines in some trim will eventually make their way into the Mustang. Assuming this is true, and everything else was the same (transmissions, rearend, price, etc), which car would you rather have?

It's a tough call for me. I love the idea of a new 5.0 Mustang and I bet it's going to sound amazing, but I think the mod potential for the TT V6 would be incredible. I bet with bolt-ons it would be easy to have a reliable 500hp out of the V6. Given the choice (I know this is blasphemy), my vote goes for the TT V6. For purposes of this poll, assume you are choosing a starting point and would mod each car according to personal preference.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:19 AM   #2
I, Vettezuki

My guess is the TT has considerably more power under the curve (i.e., peak torque at lower revs).

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-24-2009, 10:29 AM   #3
Fast & Filthy

Assuming both made 400/400 and both cost the same I'd choose the 5.0 then add a centrifugal to it. But if the V6 was less money, even with say 355hp, I think I would choose the V6.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:00 PM   #4
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
Assuming both made 400/400 and both cost the same I'd choose the 5.0 then add a centrifugal to it. But if the V6 was less money, even with say 355hp, I think I would choose the V6.
Yeah, the reason I went with the V6 TT is because of the forged parts, and I figure you could easily get to 500hp with around 1k in mods. The 5.0 obviously wouldn't be forged and putting a blower on would be more money, but ultimately it'd be a lost faster
Old 01-26-2009, 10:16 AM   #5
Neanderthal

Easy, V8.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 01-26-2009, 05:04 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Chate

The mustang II from (iono what year, i'm just a kid) signalled quite an outcry for not having a V8 option right?
I think that magic number 8 is key to american motorminds...never heard of a "muscle car" with less than 8 cyl, so dunno how well that'd go over with the enthusiasts...

But yeah, being the R34 lover that i am, and with all other components being equal, I personally would go with the V6 TT for the same reason as above, more boost capacity out of the box.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:27 PM   #7
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chate View Post
The mustang II from (iono what year, i'm just a kid) signalled quite an outcry for not having a V8 option right?
I think that magic number 8 is key to american motorminds...never heard of a "muscle car" with less than 8 cyl, so dunno how well that'd go over with the enthusiasts...

But yeah, being the R34 lover that i am, and with all other components being equal, I personally would go with the V6 TT for the same reason as above, more boost capacity out of the box.
There was no outcry for a less than V8 Mustang II, it was a function of the times and government policy (somewhat indirectly). This was the beginning of the hippie-tree-hugger era. It was bashed by enthusiasts of the time.

BTW, the R34 is an I6 not a V6. They are quite different animals. I love many I6s, including the Skylines and Silvias of history, but also some of the British versions, especially the vicious TVR. Not as much of a fan of the V6, though I'd probably take a TTV6 over an NA V8 in a production Mustang. Ironically, I think I'd go the other way in a Vette.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-26-2009, 05:56 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Chate

Right, outcry AGAINST the v6 is what i was suggesting, right on with the I6
Old 08-27-2009, 12:10 PM   #9
Resident Avatar Gambler

It looks like this may actually happen, although it sounds like the TTV6 will "only" be rated around 365hp.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:11 PM   #10
Resident Avatar Gambler

Oh, and I'd still rather have the TTV6 for the record