Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 02-23-2009, 01:18 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Realistic C5 Assessment and C5 vs Z06

What sort of mileage will a C5 6 speed pull on the freeway? Realistically? Not what the factory claims and not cruising at 60mph drafting a truck with no wind all the way to AZ. I'm talking about 80mph, typical conditions. Is the Z06 any different?

Gas mileage in the city? (Realistic, sporadic throttle happy driving.)

How expensive is it to register the car?

How quickly do they burn through tires? How expensive are decent American brand tires for the C5? Brakes? And how fast do they burn through?

VS

What is the difference between an LS6 and an LS1? I think the intake and cam are different, but I can't remember if the heads are any different. If I planned to do H&C on the LS engine, would it be a waste to go after an LS6?

Are the brakes different? Suspension? Stronger transaxle?

For those of you that care why I'm asking, here's the why. I've been thinking about dumping my Neon and buying an R6 for a while now. But realistically, it's not such a smart move. I need cargo space to carry 60lbs worth of books every weekend back and forth to OC from SD. So I need to have some sort of car, and I don't want to use the Vette to commute. It's not exactly a comfy, quiet, economical source of transport. But I really do hate driving the Neon, I took my GF out in the Vette this weekend and I got to feel the awesome thrust of that sweet V8.

So I've been thinking for a while now, maybe I should sell my Neon, my C3, and my jet skiis. That should leave me with enough cash to buy a C5 Z06. I can't afford to finance anything because of the ridiculous cost of tuition. I can really only afford to play around with my assets.

Final thought, yes I know a C5 would be a lot slower than my C3, even a Z06. But I think I'd still be happy with 400hp, especially for a DD. Which breeds a whole new set of questions... should I buy a modified C5 and could I afford it? How does a modified LS do on gas?
Old 02-23-2009, 03:10 AM   #2
I, Vettezuki

I thank that's the record for most questions in a single post. All my answers are based on experience, but not so much totally empirical data. Some variance is very possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
What sort of mileage will a C5 6 speed pull on the freeway? Realistically? Not what the factory claims and not cruising at 60mph drafting a truck with no wind all the way to AZ. I'm talking about 80mph, typical conditions.
Think low 20s.

Quote:
Is the Z06 any different?
Very nominally lower.

Quote:
Gas mileage in the city? (Realistic, sporadic throttle happy driving.)
Think 17 +- 2.

Quote:
How expensive is it to register the car?
Don't know, but it just got more expensive because of the Commies in Sacramento.

Quote:
How quickly do they burn through tires? How expensive are decent American brand tires for the C5? Brakes? And how fast do they burn through?
EXTREMELY variable. However, unlike some cars which are notorious for burning through brakes and tires, I've never heard of such things for the C5s. In other words, it's up to you.

Quote:
What is the difference between an LS6 and an LS1? I think the intake and cam are different, but I can't remember if the heads are any different. If I planned to do H&C on the LS engine, would it be a waste to go after an LS6?

Are the brakes different? Suspension? Stronger transaxle?
Going off memory here, but from 2001 on the base and ZO6 engine packages were the same except for heads and cam. There were other differences in the ZO6, e.g., gear ratios in the trans, suspension and brakes, but the numerous details escape me. Bottom line is that it wasn't just an engine difference.

However, while the base models have fallen in price (I've seen good clean exmples for less than $15), good examples the C5 Z are still over $20k. You may want to do a bit of research on what a base C6 with handling package might cost. It would be on overall better platform for perhaps comparable prices to the C5Z.

Quote:
So I've been thinking for a while now, maybe I should sell my Neon, my C3, and my jet skiis. That should leave me with enough cash to buy a C5 Z06.
People have a tendency to overestimate what they think their property is worth and underestimate what they can get something for. Caution. The market is flooded with toys, and while some fancy things have held their value, lesser models are commodity items. Your C3 is a special case and will be a real hit/miss.

Quote:
Which breeds a whole new set of questions... should I buy a modified C5 and could I afford it? How does a modified LS do on gas?
Highly variable. If it were me and I had Corvette on the brain and a plausible budget of mid $20k +-, I'd probably go on the hunt for an UNMODIFIED base C6 with handling package.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 02-23-2009, 04:42 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Thanks Ben, that really helps. I need to research the value of the C5s vs the Zs. And you're def right about my car being hit or miss. By the by I heard someone say something about how sexy my car was literally about every 30 seconds this weekend in LB. It looks even more sinister with the tinted windows rolled up at night and the side views and the rockers installed makes a big diff too, need to take some pics. I wonder what my C3 would fetch. I was told realistically between 12 and 13 before the paint/ body work/ procharger. That stuff has got to add at least another 2K I would think.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:07 AM   #4
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

I think realistically you would see 25+mpg on the freeway even at 75 to 80mph. I have been in an 01 Z06 @ 75 and the computer was still showing 28mpg.

Around town I think you would realistically see about what Ben is saying. I would guess 18 +-2 based on what I've seen from owners on forums.

I'd probably buy an 02+ Z06 and then do heads and cam. I think that would be the kind of car you'd want.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:01 PM   #5
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
I think realistically you would see 25+mpg on the freeway even at 75 to 80mph. I have been in an 01 Z06 @ 75 and the computer was still showing 28mpg.

Around town I think you would realistically see about what Ben is saying. I would guess 18 +-2 based on what I've seen from owners on forums.

I'd probably buy an 02+ Z06 and then do heads and cam. I think that would be the kind of car you'd want.
The readout from the dash is an instaneous fuel consumption. It's inherently inaccurate even for the "instant" reading and any number of factors could lead to it. Consistently measuring mileage for real at 80mph I think would be a different story. But we're quibling about 5mpg in a 400hp car. Over 20 in any case is pretty awesome.

FWIW, a C5Z with streetable H&C + LT can put well over 400 to the ground on pump gas, and still get pretty awesome mileage. Chevy OHV FTW. There are also TONS of awesome aftermarket bits for the C5Z chassis. If you want an all arounder, you can hardly do better (unless you need a back seat).

There is (maybe) a little downside. The reality is that C5/6 are kind of dime a dozen ho-hum in SoCal. Your C3 is motha-fuhkin wikid bad. Every once in a while I think of selling my C3 and getting a C6 (you can buy practically new ones in the upper 30s now), but then I drive it and am reminded of why I did it in the first place.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 02-23-2009, 04:43 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Your C3 is more practical than mine, and not 100 miles away. I want something that I can enjoy more often, and something somewhat comfy to take the GF out in.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:02 PM   #7
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Your C3 is more practical than mine, and not 100 miles away. I want something that I can enjoy more often, and something somewhat comfy to take the GF out in.
I understand. I think an H&C (or even stock) C5Z would be pretty much perfect. Do check the C6 w/Z51 though for price comparisons. These later model Vettes have some definite refinements in some areas, like steering that would be kind of a pain to do on your own. Also, the LS2/3 is a very stout platform and well suited to SC packages, many of which are even CARB legal. You could have all the comfort and reliability, and most of the power you have now.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 02-24-2009, 01:08 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Salvage! What a shame.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Old 02-24-2009, 03:29 AM   #9
Super Moderator

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...1%7C240%3A1308
Old 02-24-2009, 09:00 AM   #10
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
I only glanced through, but that seems VERY strong. I was helping a guy look for Vettes just a couple months ago, and you still couldn't touch a Z for less than the low 20s. Wow.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)