Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 05-13-2008, 03:32 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Thumbs down So it turns out I did blow a HG...

Not only was my heater hose spraying coolant on my headers yesterday, so was my leaky head gasket. I fixed the hose and as I try to turn the car over (it doesn't like to start) it's still leaking. What are the odds of that?

It's leaking from a weird spot too, behind the head, and normally a HG will leak coolant into the cylinder, not onto the block. I'm worried that the coolant spraying everywhere put a crack in the head or the block. Gay. Although, you would think 180 degree coolant wouldnt be cold enough to change the temp drastically.

Not to mention, I found out what that squeaking suspension noise was... I lost a control arm bushing!!! Since the DC trip I've been driving around with only one lower control arm bushing & bolt!!! How they hell am I going to replace just the one?

F*ck me.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:53 PM   #2
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Not only was my heater hose spraying coolant on my headers yesterday, so was my leaky head gasket. I fixed the hose and as I try to turn the car over (it doesn't like to start) it's still leaking. What are the odds of that?

It's leaking from a weird spot too, behind the head, and normally a HG will leak coolant into the cylinder, not onto the block. I'm worried that the coolant spraying everywhere put a crack in the head or the block. Gay. Although, you would think 180 degree coolant wouldnt be cold enough to change the temp drastically.

Not to mention, I found out what that squeaking suspension noise was... I lost a control arm bushing!!! Since the DC trip I've been driving around with only one lower control arm bushing & bolt!!! How they hell am I going to replace just the one?

F*ck me.
Well, we don't know the temp of the coolant when it sprayed the heads/block. We do know that steam forms with a minimum temp of 212F. The differential could have been plenty to cause a sudden shock to the material(s), especially between the heads and block since they are different materials (you have Al. heads & Irong Block right)?

I think you might want to consider pulling the engine and thoroughly magnafluxing. Some things can be repaired with welding if caught early enough.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-13-2008, 04:12 PM   #3
Super Moderator

On the plus side Energy is going to ship me a bushing for free, 2 year warranty. The guy was real cool about it too.

And I'm not going to pull the engine if I don't have to. I'll see what's up first. If I did end up having to pull the engine, that would be the end of Cambria as a beast basically. I would put the stock engine back in, sell the car and start fresh with a 1st gen Camaro.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:09 PM   #4
Super Moderator

So it looks like both head are leaking! How in the hell could that happen?! And so far it looks like it's not a combustion chamber leak. I'm trippin out here.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:18 PM   #5
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
So it looks like both head are leaking! How in the hell could that happen?! And so far it looks like it's not a combustion chamber leak. I'm trippin out here.
Do you think you ever overheated and warped the heads?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-13-2008, 06:28 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Do you think you ever overheated and warped the heads?
No.

If the cylinders are holding pressure, I might just put some bars stop leak in there. If it's just the head gasket water passage leaking that should work, but then again I wouldn't be able to see if the block was cracked without taking the head off. Gay. Gay. I'm done with it for today...
Old 05-13-2008, 07:38 PM   #7
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
No.

If the cylinders are holding pressure, I might just put some bars stop leak in there. If it's just the head gasket water passage leaking that should work, but then again I wouldn't be able to see if the block was cracked without taking the head off. Gay. Gay. I'm done with it for today...
You probably don't want to hear this right now, but you should take your time and be thorough, or it's only a matter of time until some tangentially related issue pops up soon after you "fix" it.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-13-2008, 08:45 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
You probably don't want to hear this right now, but you should take your time and be thorough, or it's only a matter of time until some tangentially related issue pops up soon after you "fix" it.
Yeah, I know... I have a bad feeling this could be the end for Cambria.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:04 AM   #9

Well, it's better than blowing a seal!

Old 05-14-2008, 12:31 PM   #10
Neanderthal

Quote:
On the plus side Energy is going to ship me a bushing for free, 2 year warranty. The guy was real cool about it too.

And I'm not going to pull the engine if I don't have to. I'll see what's up first. If I did end up having to pull the engine, that would be the end of Cambria as a beast basically. I would put the stock engine back in, sell the car and start fresh with a 1st gen Camaro.
Still on the First gen Camaro kick? The Second Gen is a MUCH better built vehicle with a MUCH better sub-frame.
2016 Nissan Altma