Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-15-2009, 05:04 PM   #81
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
Correct. So we just need to go to a wrecking yard and pull one from an Explorer. Shouldn't be hard to get one. Eric97srad and I went a few months ago to buy some frontend part for his 97 Explorer and the yard we went to had about 30 of them.
The explorer shows an unequal length for the axles. Doesn't this create an angle from the tailshaft of the trans to the pumpkin? In our application are there any issues with that geometry?

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-15-2009, 05:07 PM   #82
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
The explorer shows an unequal length for the axles. Doesn't this create an angle from the tailshaft of the trans to the pumpkin? In our application are there any issues with that geometry?
It's only offset a little and no it won't matter. If you look under Phil's FJ40 both the front and rear axles are offset to different sides.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:27 PM   #83
Power's off.

Quote:
As long as the opposing U-joint angles are equal, opposing, and 3* or less, to provide proper phase cancellation. It could be a problem with a short D/S.
Is the other carrier "centered?"
Old 01-15-2009, 05:47 PM   #84
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by big2bird View Post
As long as the opposing U-joint angles are equal, opposing, and 3* or less, to provide proper phase cancellation. It could be a problem with a short D/S.
Is the other carrier "centered?"
I'm not sure this is the question you asked, but, the trans will be "very" center and the DS would be quite short as I imagine it. So the U joint angles would not be opposing and the DS would be greater than 3* as I imagine it. The explorer has the advantage of 31 spline axles and already being a 5 lug. However, I don't think at our power levels 28 spline is such a problem (our trans output is 28 spline), and converting the hubs to 5 lug ain't such a big deal. Please to advise. Maybe the Stang is a better starting point, though we'd have to regear. . .

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-15-2009, 05:53 PM   #85
Power's off.

Quote:
I'm not sure this is the question you asked, but, the trans will be "very" center and the DS would be quite short as I imagine it. So the U joint angles would not be opposing and the DS would be greater than 3* as I imagine it. The explorer has the advantage of 31 spline axles and already being a 5 lug. However, I don't think at our power levels 28 spline is such a problem (our trans output is 28 spline), and converting the hubs to 5 lug ain't such a big deal. Please to advise. Maybe the Stang is a better starting point, though we'd have to regear. . .
If the Stag pinion yoke is centered between the wheels, then yes, it would be better. (Short answer)
Old 01-16-2009, 06:44 AM   #86
Power's off.

So obviously the Exploder is offset for a transfer case, so the Mustang looks like a good fit. If that means gear change, rather than trying to find a LSD, we can get a spool for $90, a gear set for $150., and set it up killer. Maybe I should take Ben down to Unitrax, and see what they might have laying around. Time to start whooing some venders. They might also provide some good advice/guidence concerning this adventure.
As for brakes, as long as the car stops by the last turn off, they are fine.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:05 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by big2bird View Post
So obviously the Exploder is offset for a transfer case, so the Mustang looks like a good fit. If that means gear change, rather than trying to find a LSD, we can get a spool for $90, a gear set for $150., and set it up killer. Maybe I should take Ben down to Unitrax, and see what they might have laying around. Time to start whooing some venders. They might also provide some good advice/guidence concerning this adventure.
As for brakes, as long as the car stops by the last turn off, they are fine.

I have a set of 3.55 gears for an 8.8 that only have 7000 miles on them. Switched them for 4.10s. That may work better for that 4 speed anyway with a 25" - 26" tire.

HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your ass?
Old 01-16-2009, 07:30 AM   #88
Fast & Filthy

The Explorer center section looks centered. I'll measure mine today and tell you for certain. Also, most Explorers came with 3.73 gears which will be a good gear for the RX-Snake.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:17 PM   #89
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
The Explorer center section looks centered. I'll measure mine today and tell you for certain. Also, most Explorers came with 3.73 gears which will be a good gear for the RX-Snake.
Assuming 26.1 tires (275/50x15) our transmission and a 6,000rpm shift point/red line, I think we' could take advantage of the taller 3.55 gears.

3.55 = 127mph
3.73 = 121mph

I think we'll have the power to weight to ring out the taller gear and have a faster trap/et.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-16-2009, 12:24 PM   #90
Neanderthal

Quote:
Assuming 26.1 tires (275/50x15) our transmission and a 6,000rpm shift point/red line, I think we' could take advantage of the taller 3.55 gears.

3.55 = 127mph
3.73 = 121mph

I think we'll have the power to weight to ring out the taller gear and have a faster trap/et.
Ok, with my 3:55s I hit 119 in third gear. That's with a 27.9 (P275 15 60) inch on the 3,000 pound vette. So.......................I don't see how your math is right. Math and the real world don't always jive. Just not sure about it is all.
2016 Nissan Altma