Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 03-19-2009, 10:46 PM   #1

Default How to quiet exhaust?

Does anyone know of any relatively easy ways to quiet the noise level of my exhaust? I've heard you can put some steel wool into the mufflers and it can help deaden the sound? I just got a noise ticket and don't mind paying the fine, but that's a lot of work to just get it signed off.

I'm running headers, bassani high flow catted x, and SLP LM1s....would changing the catback be enough or would I also have to change out the midpipe.

Looking for any help!

Mark
Old 03-19-2009, 10:50 PM   #2
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumnday99 View Post
Does anyone know of any relatively easy ways to quiet the noise level of my exhaust? I've heard you can put some steel wool into the mufflers and it can help deaden the sound? I just got a noise ticket and don't mind paying the fine, but that's a lot of work to just get it signed off.

I'm running headers, bassani high flow catted x, and SLP LM1s....would changing the catback be enough or would I also have to change out the midpipe.

Looking for any help!

Mark
Mark,

On the Mustangs I believe if you added in a catted H-pipe it would quiet it down a little. I have Borla Stingers on my car with a UPR catted X-pipe and it's insanely loud. With the stock H-pipe though it was much quieter. The SLP LM1's are not that quiet a catback though so it might be tough to quiet them down too much
Old 03-19-2009, 11:10 PM   #3
I, Vettezuki

Quote:

Looking for any help!

Mark
Do you WANT to quiet it down? Do you suspect that you might actually be in violation? The noise law actually specifies a test as I recall. If you pass it, I don't think you have to pay anything.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-20-2009, 07:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Do you WANT to quiet it down? Do you suspect that you might actually be in violation? The noise law actually specifies a test as I recall. If you pass it, I don't think you have to pay anything.
I'm pretty sure my exhaust setup is over the 95 dB limit. I haven't actually tested it, but it is loud. I'd like to quiet it down but don't want to go back to a stock mid pipe and cat back permanently.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:22 AM   #5
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
I'm pretty sure my exhaust setup is over the 95 dB limit. I haven't actually tested it, but it is loud. I'd like to quiet it down but don't want to go back to a stock mid pipe and cat back permanently.
I think a catted aftermarket h-pipe would do the trick.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
I think a catted aftermarket h-pipe would do the trick.
I'm running a catted after market X...I heard that the Bassani catback w/ baffles is pretty quiet....I might just change it over to that if I need to. I can always take out the baffles if I want it louder.

Mark
Old 03-23-2009, 10:33 AM   #7

Quote:

Looking for any help!

Mark
Ur problem right there. L= LOUD M=MOUTH

Best Trap Speed 89.67MPH on Nitto Street Tires
Old 03-23-2009, 01:26 PM   #8
Graphics B*tch

Quote:

Looking for any help!

Mark
I would just replace the cat back. Go with either a Dynomax or a magnaflow. You can also try our a flowmaster with Delta flow, that is what I have and it is not that loud but still sounds good. As Sean will quickly tell you though... flowmaster does not flow that well (it is better than stock though)

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten
Old 03-23-2009, 09:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertermi04 View Post
Ur problem right there. L= LOUD M=MOUTH
Yeah...it was the first thing I put on....It was cheap because it just came out. It got ridiculously loud with the headers and the mid-pipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedom View Post
I would just replace the cat back. Go with either a Dynomax or a magnaflow. You can also try our a flowmaster with Delta flow, that is what I have and it is not that loud but still sounds good. As Sean will quickly tell you though... flowmaster does not flow that well (it is better than stock though)
I'm leaning towards the Magnaflows. I heard they're relatively quiet unless you rev it pretty high and they're way cheaper than Bassani.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:43 PM   #10
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Yeah...it was the first thing I put on....It was cheap because it just came out. It got ridiculously loud with the headers and the mid-pipe.

I'm leaning towards the Magnaflows. I heard they're relatively quiet unless you rev it pretty high and they're way cheaper than Bassani.
I have Magnaflows and that's pretty much it. Nice rumble, moderate sound till about 2,500 and then they gradually open up.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)