Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 11-07-2011, 11:34 PM   #221

^ If we show up with a car that is suspiciously good, they will want documentation of exactly what condition it was in when we got it, and exactly what we sold to who, and for how much. Unless we are going to put an engine in it, then falsify an add, followed by taking lots of pictures of a fake sale with an engine in the car, I don't know that we would even get a chance to race. They might just crush it as soon as we show up.

I am all for slightly bending the rules if we have to, but I would hate to put in all the work and time that will eventually go into this, just to be called cheats, and to piss off.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #222
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
Or we tell them it came with an engine, i know its a difficult concept, but racing is based on lies
I cannot lie. Except to Sean. That's easy for some reason. \

The other reason is I'm doing fully transparent accounting here, so everyone knows exacty where they stand relative to everyone else. That means anyone could find out the reality of costs. However, I could make all that under project management and make that a private thread.

I'll be going up there tomorrow around mid day. I'm looking for the basics I know (sorta) to look for. Don't really care about body, but do doors open and close okay (indicating structural problems, any obvious bends in unibody underneath, etc.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Old 11-07-2011, 11:45 PM   #223

^ Except we can't check it the trans or rear end are any good, whether the fuel pump works, ect. I realize that this would be true for most any non running car that is for sale, but we should take a good look at if this is actually a good deal, or if we are talking ourselves into spending too much on a pile of junk just because we haven't found just what we want yet. I don't know enough about old stangs, and I am not going to pretend that I am any sort of expert, but $450 seems a little high for a car with no engine when we have been almost getting complete cars for $600.

I will not question the car choice once it is finalized, but I am just trying to play devil's advocate here to make sure we are considering everything.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:57 PM   #224
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by luder_5555 View Post
^ Except we can't check it the trans or rear end are any good, whether the fuel pump works, ect. I realize that this would be true for most any non running car that is for sale, but we should take a good look at if this is actually a good deal, or if we are talking ourselves into spending too much on a pile of junk just because we haven't found just what we want yet. I don't know enough about old stangs, and I am not going to pretend that I am any sort of expert, but $450 seems a little high for a car with no engine when we have been almost getting complete cars for $600.

I will not question the car choice once it is finalized, but I am just trying to play devil's advocate here to make sure we are considering everything.
Duly noted. All I can do to check the trans and rear is to see if the trans shifts at all and if the car rolls without making crazy sounds. As for money, there's also the part for me where spending endless hours to save $150 or so isn't smart. It's on the margin where action sooner than later within the envelope is better. It's just a judgement call, but I can't be looking all ever every day for weeks, so I'm at the pull the trigger on something sensible stage. Plus Carlos is going to start calling me mean names if we don't do something before he gets back from under the water.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Old 11-08-2011, 12:10 AM   #225

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv...690777368.html

300 hp, 295 ft·lbf ..... 3,970 lb yes its heavy but its only 250
1988 Trooper II SAS
1986 TrooperII (No Rear)
1988 Impulse (dead)
1983 K20

Old 11-08-2011, 12:29 AM   #226
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
^ If we show up with a car that is suspiciously good, they will want documentation of exactly what condition it was in when we got it, and exactly what we sold to who, and for how much. Unless we are going to put an engine in it, then falsify an add, followed by taking lots of pictures of a fake sale with an engine in the car, I don't know that we would even get a chance to race. They might just crush it as soon as we show up.

I am all for slightly bending the rules if we have to, but I would hate to put in all the work and time that will eventually go into this, just to be called cheats, and to piss off.
Thats exactly the plan, and if you think all the people who show up arent doing it to you arent racing.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!

Old 11-08-2011, 12:31 AM   #227
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:

I payed $500 for my car stripped completely bare.
Foxes are classics now, yards are stocking less and less of them. Finding one for under $1000 is a god send.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!

Old 11-08-2011, 12:37 AM   #228
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
Thats exactly the plan, and if you think all the people who show up arent doing it to you arent racing.
Lemons isn't strictly racing . . .more like a racing themed circus.

Part of my particular interest here is doing something fun on the cheap (the Snake I want to make a bit more vicious and polished all around, but that's at least another $3k and a couple hundred hours probably). This rough and ready car could be used all over, Adam's, Irwindale, AutoX, ChumpCar, Lemons, whatever as long as people pull their weight in the project, it could be about as cheap as any racing is ever going to get.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Old 11-08-2011, 01:00 AM   #229
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackax View Post
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv...690777368.html

300 hp, 295 ft·lbf ..... 3,970 lb yes its heavy but its only 250
$2,300

It's a common CL thing . . . leaving off a decimal place.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Old 11-08-2011, 08:30 AM   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
$2,300

It's a common CL thing . . . leaving off a decimal place.
damn it!!!
1988 Trooper II SAS
1986 TrooperII (No Rear)
1988 Impulse (dead)
1983 K20