Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 12-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #1

Default Time to beef up my 4.6

The 4.6 in my GT/CS is pretty much maxed. Any more power and these pencil thin rods will give out. So I'm replacing the shortblock with a fully forged Boss 5.0 shortblock.

Boss iron block
All Arp hardware
Manley forged flat top pistons
Frpp oil pump
Forged Manley H-beam rods
Forged Cobra crank
Federal Mogul rod and main bearings

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your ass?
Old 12-16-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
I, Vettezuki

Do the cylinder walls need honing? They look kinda shinny in the pic.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-16-2011, 05:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Do the cylinder walls need honing? They look kinda shinny in the pic.
Just the light. The block has been fully machined.

HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your ass?
Old 12-16-2011, 09:28 PM   #4
pain's fun, hit me again

Nice, for those of you who dont know. The rods really are pencil thin, they're about the size of a toothbrush handle.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 12-17-2011, 03:02 AM   #5
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
Nice, for those of you who dont know. The rods really are pencil thin, they're about the size of a toothbrush handle.
What huh?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-17-2011, 03:33 AM   #6
pain's fun, hit me again

Ford cut the weight down on the 3v rods to increase the rpm range. I'll try and find the picture Greg at RET took when he compared his toothbrush to the connecting rod from a 3v engine. They were nearly identical in size.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 12-17-2011, 03:54 AM   #7
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
Ford cut the weight down on the 3v rods to increase the rpm range. I'll try and find the picture Greg at RET took when he compared his toothbrush to the connecting rod from a 3v engine. They were nearly identical in size.
I get it from a physics POV. Just wonder about the trade off. On a side note, F1 engine piston heads are more like a valve and the oil only slightly more viscous then water. Of course 18 RPM, 1000s (yes) of gs in direction change and fuel injection around the speed of sound is kind of intense.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-17-2011, 11:59 AM   #8
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedls View Post
The 4.6 in my GT/CS is pretty much maxed. Any more power and these pencil thin rods will give out. So I'm replacing the shortblock with a fully forged Boss 5.0 shortblock.

Boss iron block
All Arp hardware
Manley forged flat top pistons
Frpp oil pump
Forged Manley H-beam rods
Forged Cobra crank
Federal Mogul rod and main bearings

Did you do any high temp or race moly coating on the rings and bearings?

Stopping the world!
Old 12-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
I get it from a physics POV. Just wonder about the trade off. On a side note, F1 engine piston heads are more like a valve and the oil only slightly more viscous then water. Of course 18 RPM, 1000s (yes) of gs in direction change and fuel injection around the speed of sound is kind of intense.
The stock rods are good for the power level of the stock engine, some have even run them with over 500 HP to the wheels for some time. Eventually they give out at that power level. My car is pushing 500 RWHP with the race tune, so it's time.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:09 PM   #10
pain's fun, hit me again

Are you running a blower or n/a?

Stopping the world!