Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 08-16-2008, 08:51 AM   #1

Default Vortec Engine and Head Popularity.

Considering how popular the Vortec head casting is getting, with it's high performance and low cost, will we start seeing more and more intake manifold options?

Dual Quad?

Triple Doubles?

High Rise?

I would like to see a Victor Junior Vortec manifold.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:26 PM   #2
Fast & Filthy

Edelbrock, World Products and GM Performance all make single and dual plane intakes for the Vortec heads. Edelbrock also has two dual 4 barrel intakes, the Performer RPM and the C-26. Check out Summitracing.com.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:31 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
Edelbrock, World Products and GM Performance all make single and dual plane intakes for the Vortec heads. Edelbrock also has two dual 4 barrel intakes, the Performer RPM and the C-26. Check out Summitracing.com.

But I don't think we'll be seeing too much growth of the aftermarket for SBC or any old stlye carbureted motors for that matter.

SBCs have always been appealing to those without a lot of cash, who want to go fast. But now that gas is soon to be $5, $6... a gallon, I'm willing to bet that a lot of gear heads will be putting their projects on hold in favor of buying old project Harley's etc.

I know I haven't felt like spending money in my powerplant since gas jumped over $3...
Old 08-16-2008, 08:01 PM   #4
I, Vettezuki

You could build psycho hi-compression E85 based motors (probably would have to go fuel injection). Due to government stupidity it's subsided. Let me repeat, basically 110 octane race fuel for less tan 87 octane gasoline. Thanks Uncle Sam, your retardation knows no bounds.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 08-17-2008, 12:00 PM   #5
Super Moderator

I haven't even seen E85 sold anywhere around here.

I'd like to find out what would happen with smog.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
You could build psycho hi-compression E85 based motors (probably would have to go fuel injection). Due to government stupidity it's subsided. Let me repeat, basically 110 octane race fuel for less tan 87 octane gasoline. Thanks Uncle Sam, your retardation knows no bounds.

A guy here built a 14.0:1 Vortec 350 for his dually, and it runs off of E85. Sounds like a top fuel drag car when it idles, and the smell is undeniably different. Not as cool as going to a car show and smelling race fuel being burned, but the sound of a high compression engine like that is really cool.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:12 PM   #7
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango_Boy View Post
A guy here built a 14.0:1 Vortec 350 for his dually, and it runs off of E85. Sounds like a top fuel drag car when it idles, and the smell is undeniably different. Not as cool as going to a car show and smelling race fuel being burned, but the sound of a high compression engine like that is really cool.
I think what you smell in the race gas is the Toluene component, an aromatic hydrocarbon. E85 is 85% alcohol (different molecule) so it doesn't smell the same. But it is about 110 octane and has a few other superior attributes to gasoline. E85 is REALLY good for turbo cars because of the cooling effects.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)